2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Scratched gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by wontfit
Welcome to the club. These gauges are like this on every fit. Even first gens. Basically, deal with it, here's why: either you will end up keeping the car, which the gauges will always get scratched. Or, you will sell the car in the future and it won't matter. So, deal with it
Ohhh so you're the negative guy I keep hearing about in the forum, so honored that you payed my thread a visit, come again soon.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
My 2009 fit was horribly scratched by the dealer when they cleaned it for pickup when I bought it.
I had them replace it and it seemed like they were aware of it, this was in 2010.
It is getting a bit scratched again even though I baby it. I think Ill just live with it, keep it clean and replace it eventually.
I have Plastx too and like you said its only so good.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:47 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Ein

First remove the knob that controls the brightness of the dash light (#3 on the first pic). It's bit tight, but just pull it out. Then insert a screw driver in the circled slot. Wrap the tip with tape if you don't want to scratch the plastic. I still scratched mine anyway.

Open enough of the seam to disconnect the wire to the mirror remote. Then just pull out rest of the dash by hand.

Buy at least two lenses if you plan to keep the car for awhile. No matter how much care I take. The lens still get scratches.

Important tip: Leave the new plastic lens in the plastic bag until you are ready to install. If you get dust behind the lens. It's worst than the scratches.
I bought my GE certified used a little over a week ago and was annoyed when I saw all the scratches on my lens. I found this thread, bought the lens and did the replacement myself tonight in about 15 mins.

For future reference, this is what it looks like when you remove your lens cover

Name:  7E8EF484-0358-4850-9449-9D05BECB23D2-545-0000000C9D4E2209_zpse8d3d228.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  446.4 KB

Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Nice reply my friend, I forgot I even started this thread. My solution was dark tint, never really notice it anymore at all!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:23 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by BlueRaspberryFit
Nice reply my friend, I forgot I even started this thread. My solution was dark tint, never really notice it anymore at all!
Thanks for making the thread, this was by far the most annoying thing on my GE and I am wayyy happier to have fixed it myself!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:01 AM
I use a touch-screen cleaning kit, got it from a $1 store in LA for my nexus. Used it on my S2000 (AP1) digital dials before and never an issue, if it's safe enough for an iPhone or Nexus it should be for a screen. You could blow the dust off with compressed air, clean with said kit and maybe use clear vinyl as a "screen" protector?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM
This was really annoying me in my Fit too. I bought it used and every time the sun hits it, I can't see anything. My friend works for Honda and said its $16 (tax included) for a new gauge lens. Not bad.

Happy this thread was here. I didn't know you could buy those so cheap and never would of thought about asking my friend.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by 236GFX
I use a touch-screen cleaning kit, got it from a $1 store in LA for my nexus. Used it on my S2000 (AP1) digital dials before and never an issue, if it's safe enough for an iPhone or Nexus it should be for a screen. You could blow the dust off with compressed air, clean with said kit and maybe use clear vinyl as a "screen" protector?
Good suggestion, problem was the doofus who owned the car before me never bothered to take this level of care. I'm just going to try to use a very light makeup brush as someone else suggested

Originally Posted by JoeJxn
This was really annoying me in my Fit too. I bought it used and every time the sun hits it, I can't see anything. My friend works for Honda and said its $16 (tax included) for a new gauge lens. Not bad.

Happy this thread was here. I didn't know you could buy those so cheap and never would of thought about asking my friend.
Just try to cover your screwdriver with painters tape or make sure you use a really small one. No other tools are needed since the dash is attached with clips and the power mirror switch can be removed by hand

Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Got mine replaced

Upper scratched one, new one is already on the Gauge
Even there is a guy selling a protective cover, it can be applied only to the center part....

Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Administrator
You didn't need to remove the whole bezel, just the plastic cover

Also, I bought one of these:

Giottos AA1920 Rocket Air Blaster Small-Black:Amazon:Camera & Photo

What I do now is blow off the dust using that thing then I use a clean microfiber towel and I haven't noticed any additional scratches

Last edited by Waiz; 11-06-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Last month I had my windshield tinted and solution dripped on my lens. The installer attempted to wipe it away and scratched the heck out of it. I'm not mad bc it I know it isn't his fault. I screwed up and cost myself an additional $70 bucks as I finally decided to clean the cluster. I used a dilute soln. of ipa and bleached the graphite/black lens assembly on my new 2013. I screwed up and had a feeling this old happen but went through w it anyway.
I'll take pics and post also as I replace my assembly cover and lens. It will be a 7-10 days though.

Air is the bet way to clean. Window cleaner doesn't dry fast enough and streaks, ipa is perfect but bleaches the pastic, and I'm hoping going forward the is a $15/10 minute job if I decide to do his in he future.

Live and learn.

Product # Description Quantity Unit Price Total Price
FIT » 2013 » 5DR SPORT (SAYAMA PLANT) » 5AT

*METER
*37115-SA0-601 GASKET (NS) 1 $3.96 $3.96
*78156-TF0-J11 LENS ASSY., METER 1 $13.43 $13.43
Other Parts
*77201-TK6-A11ZA PANEL SET, METER *NH167L* 1 $65.88 $65.88
Subtotal: $83.27
Shipping Charge :
$14.84
Handling Charge: $4.95
Sales Tax: $6.04
Total Order : $109.10

Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Ein
Originally Posted by Ein
There used to be a link to an interactive manual on how to take the cluster apart, but it no longer works.

First remove the knob that controls the brightness of the dash light (#3 on the first pic). It's bit tight, but just pull it out. Then insert a screw driver in the circled slot. Wrap the tip with tape if you don't want to scratch the plastic. I still scratched mine anyway.

Open enough of the seam to disconnect the wire to the mirror remote. Then just pull out rest of the dash by hand.

Buy at least two lenses if you plan to keep the car for awhile. No matter how much care I take. The lens still get scratches.

Important tip: Leave the new plastic lens in the plastic bag until you are ready to install. If you get dust behind the lens. It's worst than the scratches.
Anyone have a new interactive link?

My new-to-me Fit arrived with a badly scratched lens. I now have a replacement lens to install.

I am leery of attempting to replace it myself, but with my local Honda dealership asking $100 to do it and other garages willing to take the same try I am (ie, I haven't found anyone else yet who is confident in doing it) but for money, I'm considering giving it a try.

It sounds like it comes apart fairly easily(?), but what about putting it back together? Anyone end up with a bent clip or dash rattle? Any further step-by-steps (talking really slowly and using lots of pictures)? Maybe a gander at the "wire to the mirror remote," and its connector?

Thanks much.

~ S.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
It doesn't take 15 minutes, more like 1 minute. It takes 10 seconds to pull off the bezel (flat head screw driver or tools not required, just bare hands and an upwards tug at the switch) another 10 seconds to disconnect the wire.
Once bezel is off you use a flat head to depress the clips on your old scratched up lens and it pulls right out, probably another 10 seconds.

Goes together tightly and zero rattles. There's nothing that could rattle or create a squeak. You have no idea how simple this project is. I've gotta do mine again bc I wasn't careful and although I've got no scratches, I've got dust behind it which is just as bad.

Originally Posted by spieler
Anyone have a new interactive link?

My new-to-me Fit arrived with a badly scratched lens. I now have a replacement lens to install.

I am leery of attempting to replace it myself, but with my local Honda dealership asking $100 to do it and other garages willing to take the same try I am (ie, I haven't found anyone else yet who is confident in doing it) but for money, I'm considering giving it a try.

It sounds like it comes apart fairly easily(?), but what about putting it back together? Anyone end up with a bent clip or dash rattle? Any further step-by-steps (talking really slowly and using lots of pictures)? Maybe a gander at the "wire to the mirror remote," and its connector?

Thanks much.

~ S.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by mc1200s
It doesn't take 15 minutes, more like 1 minute. It takes 10 seconds to pull off the bezel (flat head screw driver or tools not required, just bare hands and an upwards tug at the switch) another 10 seconds to disconnect the wire.
Once bezel is off you use a flat head to depress the clips on your old scratched up lens and it pulls right out, probably another 10 seconds.

Goes together tightly and zero rattles. There's nothing that could rattle or create a squeak. You have no idea how simple this project is. I've gotta do mine again bc I wasn't careful and although I've got no scratches, I've got dust behind it which is just as bad.
Thanks for your response. I already have the replacement piece here, so I'm going to give this a go.

... It's disheartening to me, how the Service people at both Honda dealerships I talked to (replacement lens in hand) insisted that the entire instrument cluster would have to be removed, and quoted the job as 1-1.5 hours.

Maybe they don't have the Internets.

~ S.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Administrator
It honestly could not be an easier replacement to do, just take your time and the directions are very straightforward

Old 05-24-2014, 08:20 PM
I have never tried it on a gauge cluster before but on plastic safety glasses I just use Pledge furniture polish. It is only temporary but it blends the scratches. Cheap and worth a try and you may already have it in your house!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by tmfit
I have never tried it on a gauge cluster before but on plastic safety glasses I just use Pledge furniture polish. It is only temporary but it blends the scratches. Cheap and worth a try and you may already have it in your house!
Would highly suggest against using this

Literally anything other than water on a very clean microfiber towel will scratch the surface of these.

I am on cluster lens #3 so believe me just use the least amount of chemical as possible

Old 05-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Waizzz
Would highly suggest against using this

Literally anything other than water on a very clean microfiber towel will scratch the surface of these.

I am on cluster lens #3 so believe me just use the least amount of chemical as possible
If he is going to replace the lens anyway what is there to lose? It doesn't last very long on safety glasses but makes them clear. Test a small spot perhaps. Just a suggestion.

Here is a link for reassurance http://www.ehow.com/how_5997491_repa...on-pledge.html

Last edited by tmfit; 05-24-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Wonder if the clear electrostatic plastic that's used to protect plastic screens and displays of electronics ( ex. phones ) would work ? If so , where to find it ?

Old 05-24-2014, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
If you want to go that route, you can just buy a piece of paint protection film or clear tint film and use that as screen protector material

Quick Reply: Scratched gauge cluster