2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Scratched gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rooivalk
Yes, you should propably get it fixed for free, even that type of plastic thing should be scratch resistant enough for a normal cleaning procedures.

This is how my gauges looked like when i got the car. The pic does not tell it all, it is difficult to take a good pic of something like this, especially with a cell phone. The picture only shows a small area of scratches but in reality the whole three cluster gauge set was full of them.

mine has the same issue and it is rather annoying i will agree...

side note, i love your gauges... where and how much lol

Old 05-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Ein
5 Year Member

First remove the knob that controls the brightness of the dash light (#3 on the first pic). It's bit tight, but just pull it out. Then insert a screw driver in the circled slot. Wrap the tip with tape if you don't want to scratch the plastic. I still scratched mine anyway.

Open enough of the seam to disconnect the wire to the mirror remote. Then just pull out rest of the dash by hand.

Buy at least two lenses if you plan to keep the car for awhile. No matter how much care I take. The lens still get scratches.

Important tip: Leave the new plastic lens in the plastic bag until you are ready to install. If you get dust behind the lens. It's worst than the scratches.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
I'm also wondering about spraying the new lens with something hard and optically pure like clear coat. I need to get one and try it. I see that they are less than $20.00. Maybe I'll get a replacement and experiment on the old removed one. I wonder what else I could use. I do not know how clear "clear coat" really is.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Unreal12
mine has the same issue and it is rather annoying i will agree...

side note, i love your gauges... where and how much lol
just use car polish and they will vanish

Old 05-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ein

First remove the knob that controls the brightness of the dash light (#3 on the first pic). It's bit tight, but just pull it out. Then insert a screw driver in the circled slot. Wrap the tip with tape if you don't want to scratch the plastic. I still scratched mine anyway.

Open enough of the seam to disconnect the wire to the mirror remote. Then just pull out rest of the dash by hand.

Buy at least two lenses if you plan to keep the car for awhile. No matter how much care I take. The lens still get scratches.

Important tip: Leave the new plastic lens in the plastic bag until you are ready to install. If you get dust behind the lens. It's worst than the scratches.
Thanks for the write up! Very much appreciated!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Aw man I hate seeing that dash apart like that.....lol.......anyways, maybe I'll give the polish a try, they haven't been bothering me much lately, I don't know why but I'd like to get them better looking that's for sure, thanks everyone for the very detailed help, you guys are great.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueRaspberryFit
Aw man I hate seeing that dash apart like that.....lol.......anyways, maybe I'll give the polish a try, they haven't been bothering me much lately, I don't know why but I'd like to get them better looking that's for sure, thanks everyone for the very detailed help, you guys are great.
In the future, I may try the polish as well. I read somewhere on the forum that someone used a 3M plastic polish cleaner and that did the trick.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
I took mine out once & went over it with Meguire's Plast-x. Did a good job of getting rid of the scratches. Since then I have added a few more...will have to find the time to do again.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
I use a microfiber "bottle-brush" duster to do my whole dash area, and you can very gently swipe the gauges with it. It's the kind of duster you can pick up at $ Tree or your local flea market, does a great job of attracting fine crap + lint. Just shake it out well/vacuum to clean it when done.

I have the same issues with my gauges and really want to restore the plastic to a smooth shine. The Meguiars sounds like it should do the trick. As with any kind of polishing, take it easy so as not to make things any worse.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:56 AM
I use Meguiars products quite a bit and I know they are good so yeah I think I'll give that a try, could it be found at autozone I wonder?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if some spray wax (e.g., Turtle Wax Express Shine) would work. I've never felt it was in the least bit abrasive. It's more a thin coating; I've used it on motorcycle plastics. Perhaps it could fill in those fine scratches and give a nice gloss.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I actually do have a spray bottle of turtle wax interior cleaner but I doubt that would help.....I'll give the Plast-X a try.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
I actually do have a spray bottle of turtle wax interior cleaner but I doubt that would help.....I'll give the Plast-X a try.
I'll be interested in your results with PlastX.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
Yeah if I can get it in the sun just right, I'll do a before and after shot, if I can't I'll just have to tell what happens, I guess most people do use Plast-X for this problem, when I searched it I noticed a bimmer forum had awesome results using it, hopefully I can find it at autozone or napa by Friday.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Walmart has it.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
I just bought PlastX for the speedometer plastic and it did an ok job but nothing stellar. The scratches are still there but they seem to not be as obvious. I think a replacement would be the best option.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Ein, that's a big help. I'll give it a try this summer.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Well I tried the Plast-X today, looked nice and shinny when done. For some reason, very few scratches were still visible on the tachometer but for the most part, it looks good, and you can really feel this stuff clean it too. However the real result will be noticed when the sun hits it, so stay tuned! Worked awesome on my dad's 95 Accord's headlights! Meguiars products are the best I'd say, that's all I use now.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM
The results with Plast-X weren't great but they weren't bad either. It got rid of the big unsightly scratches and replaced them with a bunch of very small scratches so now it has that typical acrylic wear look, not as bad but still annoying to even see at the corner of your eye. So maybe I should go over it again?
BTW, my method of doing this was to put a dime sized amount on a terry cloth, wipe in a circular motion until you hear it squeak and then go over it gently with a very soft microfiber cloth.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Alright, this is rather disappointing. You know the plastic in the gauge rings on the dash? Yeah, apparently, you can't clean those without them looking like someone removed them and dragged them across the asphalt. Probably about the most scratch-sensitive acrylic plastic is found in the Fit, no joke. I cleaned mine with some water and a towel and it looks like hell now when the sun hits it just slightly.....like as if I dipped the towel in the dirt before I decided to clean it. I am very meticulous about these things and would only do what's best for the car. Didn't use ANY chemicals, just water, but apparently it's just best to leave them dusty. Does anybody know a good repair method or something I could do to fix this? I even thought about getting a whole new bezel/cluster piece which is $66 which sucks ass. Brand new car, no need of this B.S. for real. But any info regarding that would be great, thanks everyone.
Welcome to the club. These gauges are like this on every fit. Even first gens. Basically, deal with it, here's why: either you will end up keeping the car, which the gauges will always get scratched. Or, you will sell the car in the future and it won't matter. So, deal with it

Quick Reply: Scratched gauge cluster