2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How are you guys getting 38 miles per gallon

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
i get 48mpg and sometimes if i take it easy 52mpg

Old 04-14-2012, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
yeahbut you use a monkeygallon-i-mean-imperial gallon. It's 20% mas grande.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
I get 44 interstate, 38 highway (with stoplights), and 34 mixed city on my manual Fit. Add a few mpg for the stock tires, which I don't have anymore.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
I'm getting 28-30 in the city and 38 on the highway. That's with a Fujita Intake and a side exit exhaust.

I removed the rear bumper once coming back from the East Coast and got a steady 42 mpg!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Foots
on cruise control and I did the 50 dollar intake and I did the 50 dollar intake mod which seems t which seems to be giving me 2 miles per gallon less and I average about 29 miles per gallon what am I doing wrong

Old 05-27-2014, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
This all sounds fishy to me. I have a '10 Fit Sport 53K miles, with new Conti DWS 38 psi on. I'm in the NJ/NY area so I do highway, and a little city driving on my commute. I never get above 32 mpg. Usually 30-31. How are people getting 38-40 mpg? How can I increase this? K&N engine air filter? better quality gas? higher or lower pressure on tires? Is the o2 sensor off like on the '09 Fit? Does it need reprogramming of the ECU? where do i start? any ideas?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Start by adjusting the nut behind the wheel.

The brake pedal turns gasoline into brake dust. Stop doing that. It doesn't mean you should blow stop signs, it means to look and think ahead, to drive in a manner that keeps you from having to use the brakes. When you spend all day turning gasoline into brake dust your mileage is going to suck.

My first tank in this car was 37 mpg, and using the brakes as little as I could was the only real technique I used. It'll get really good mileage if you let it.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
02 senor saywhatnow???

What's up with the O2 sensor on the 09???

I get anywhere from 25-30 with 27 being about the average with my driving throughout NJ and NY...

Old 05-27-2014, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
32mpg combined city/highway is fine, it's well within the parameters for the car. It is possible to achieve much more than the EPA rating for these cars, but this would be driving leisurely at 45-50mph with few stops.

Higher octane gas doesn't have more energy (it may have less due to the antiknock compounds). The Fit isn't a performance car and won't benefit from higher octane unless you spend a lot of time at high throttle (doesn't fit the profile of someone seeking higher MPG). Even then the improvement is on the order of a 3% increase in power, not fuel efficiency.

K&N filters, while they may restrict airflow less than the OE paper, will not improve MPG. The car's fuel injection correctly meters fuel for the proper mix whatever the airflow. It might gain you a slight increase in power at max throttle (but again, doesn't fit the profile of someone seeking higher MPG).

The O2 sensor isn't off in any year. The 09's had a programming error that displayed 15% higher than actual MPG (which may have contributed to some stories). This was corrected by an optional reflash from Honda (didn't change actual MPG).

Tire pressure hasn't been shown to increase MPG, other than keeping it at or above recommended pressure. 38 is pretty high.

My mpg increased from 34 to 36mpg with new tires (LRR) and an alignment. Mobile 1 might have helped. But since then, a change in my daily drive has dropped it to 30mpg (mostly suburban city driving, lots of stops). I find it's more sensitive to use of the A/C at the lower speeds (makes sense as a larger percentage of power is used for cooling at lower speeds).

This is all to say you're doing fine. And to take stories here and elsewhere of higher than average MPG with a grain of salt...

Old 05-27-2014, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
What's up with the O2 sensor on the 09???

I get anywhere from 25-30 with 27 being about the average with my driving throughout NJ and NY...
I was mistaken. Sorry to get your blood pressure up on that. There was no issue on the O2. I think I got it confused with this on a TSB:

July 15, 2011

Applies To:
2009 Fit - ALL

Information Display Shows Higher MPG Than Actual
(Supersedes 09-086, dated November 18, 2009, to revise the information marked by asterisks)

REVISION SUMMARY

*Under WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION, the flat rate time was changed because the MVCI updates control modules more efficiently.*

SYMPTOM
The information display shows the fuel mileage to be 10 to 15 percent higher than the customer\'s actual calculated mileage.

I don't know why I though O2 sensor. apologies.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
My mpg increased from 34 to 36mpg with new tires (LRR) and an alignment. Mobile 1 might have helped. But since then, a change in my daily drive has dropped it to 30mpg (mostly suburban city driving, lots of stops). I find it's more sensitive to use of the A/C at the lower speeds (makes sense as a larger percentage of power is used for cooling at lower speeds).

This is all to say you're doing fine. And to take stories here and elsewhere of higher than average MPG with a grain of salt...[/QUOTE]

Thanks @Steve244 for the info. Very helpful. and Yes I was referring to that programming error in the '09's. And as you rightly say it turns out to be frivolous. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Start by adjusting the nut behind the wheel.

The brake pedal turns gasoline into brake dust. Stop doing that. It doesn't mean you should blow stop signs, it means to look and think ahead, to drive in a manner that keeps you from having to use the brakes. When you spend all day turning gasoline into brake dust your mileage is going to suck.

My first tank in this car was 37 mpg, and using the brakes as little as I could was the only real technique I used. It'll get really good mileage if you let it.
Thanks FIT Charlie

Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Lol 5speed man getting 26.1 no freeways drive the hell outta the car vroom vroom fuck gas

Old 05-27-2014, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Foots
on cruise control and I did the 50 dollar intake and I did the 50 dollar intake mod which seems t which seems to be giving me 2 miles per gallon less and I average about 29 miles per gallon what am I doing wrong
Most likely your issue is your right foot.

Our stock 2012 Fit Sport Manual...on our commute I get high-30's/low-40's (on the computer...I've found that actual MPG is higher than what the computer says). My wife gets low 30's. Same route. Pretty much the same time door-to-door.

The difference: I pay attention and try to get good mpg. If there's a red light up ahead, I don't charge up there at full throttle and then slam on the brakes. I do what I can to conserve momentum...build speed on the downhills, let it bleed off a bit on the uphills. Manage following distance so that you can absorb traffic speed changes without lots of braking/acceleration. etc.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by Bounce
Most likely your issue is your right foot.

Our stock 2012 Fit Sport Manual...on our commute I get high-30's/low-40's (on the computer...I've found that actual MPG is higher than what the computer says). My wife gets low 30's. Same route. Pretty much the same time door-to-door.

The difference: I pay attention and try to get good mpg. If there's a red light up ahead, I don't charge up there at full throttle and then slam on the brakes. I do what I can to conserve momentum...build speed on the downhills, let it bleed off a bit on the uphills. Manage following distance so that you can absorb traffic speed changes without lots of braking/acceleration. etc.

This man is spot on. On my second tank, I get 38mpg with 80/20 highway/city driving. I coast it on 65 (legal speed limit) on the highway and I usually do the speed limit on city driving. I noticed that with my first tank, i got about 34.7 mpgs but that was with 70 percent city driving. I am very gentle with the gas peddle...unlike my other car.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Antoine Lynn
This man is spot on. On my second tank, I get 38mpg with 80/20 highway/city driving. I coast it on 65 (legal speed limit) on the highway and I usually do the speed limit on city driving. I noticed that with my first tank, i got about 34.7 mpgs but that was with 70 percent city driving. I am very gentle with the gas peddle...unlike my other car.
Is there a difference using the paddle shifters with gas mileage?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sojoey
Is there a difference using the paddle shifters with gas mileage?
Your issue is not in D v. S mode, your MPG issue lies in your choice of an AT entirely. The Fit's 5AT is inefficient and drains economy, you'll likely never average the 38-40 MPG so commonly gotten by us 5MT dudes.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Angry

Originally Posted by mike410b
Your issue is not in D v. S mode, your MPG issue lies in your choice of an AT entirely. The Fit's 5AT is inefficient and drains economy, you'll likely never average the 38-40 MPG so commonly gotten by us 5MT dudes.
OK. who on this forum has gotten 38-40 on a 5AT? just curious.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
These are with the 5 speed auto .

Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Odie
These are with the 5 speed auto .

I'll take that! What do you do to get that?

Quick Reply: How are you guys getting 38 miles per gallon