2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Do me a favor!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AcousticAudio
........The under engine splash shield is a Honda factory part from the CR-Z. It cost me about 50$. It took about an hour to install (with the car raised on a hoist), taking my time and being picky. My primary fastener is zip ties that I just snip off and replace whenever I need to see the underside of the engine, ex. oil changes etc. Very easy to retrofit.

...+REP!! Thanks for reading.
-Scott
It's plug and play with regards to size/fitting there's no trimming or modifying to make it fit. But I don't think he was able to use push plugs (or not many). Matter of fact it's mentioned somewhere in his build thread that he had to drill a few small holes in different locations to attach the zip ties. ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...lx-v2-0-a.html You'd have to ask Scott for the details.

This is a great mod especially off another Honda so it's OEM, but if I ever do this I'd compare the pros/cons with the Beatrush underpanel which a few members also have. IIRC, there was reported better aerodynamics leading to better mpg & handling using the Beatrush panel (as it's designed for that), and I guess the added splash guard benefits too.

Last edited by FitStir; 04-17-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 AM
I just ordered the parts today (as well as a center armrest) from Bernardi. I'll report back as soon as I get the stuff! Although it was reported that some holes may not line up, I used the CR-Z owners manual oil change diagram to decipher how many bits and pieces were needed.

I came up with:

Four (4) 90308-SB2-013 and 90682-SEA-003 (bracket and screw that should fit on either side of the existing splash guards)

Two (2) 91514-TM8-003 (as indicated by the parts diagram)

Two (2) 91506-S9A-003 (as possibly indicated by the Owners Manual).

This does not include the bolts as indicated towards the rear of the diagram since the clips should do a decent job of holding it in place.

I'll post pics of the install for any others interested.

Last edited by mhadden; 04-17-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Interested. Keep us informed.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Has anybody considered the fact that it may affect engine and trans temps? Maybe there is a reason besides cost that Honda chose not to put it on.

Jerry G

Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mhadden
I'll post pics of the install for any others interested.
Take plenty of pics. Curious if it can be installed with the clips/bolts, basically if they line up.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Jerry G
Has anybody considered the fact that it may affect engine and trans temps? Maybe there is a reason besides cost that Honda chose not to put it on.

Jerry G
It's possible, but not likely. Valid point nonetheless.

Originally Posted by FitStir
Take plenty of pics. Curious if it can be installed with the clips/bolts, basically if they line up.
Parts will be here Friday! I hope to be able to get out and monkey around Friday night after work if the wife doesn't have anything planned (and, of course, pics will be provided)

Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
I just ordered one myself from bernardi along with another small part I needed, I'll post pics as well. As for whoever said engine/tranny temp, the bottom area of open is nothing for airflow compared to say the opening in the front grill, and I highly doubt that one panel was left off for cooling, if so we should see the same problems on the insight at least those that are in the south. But I think it will be fine, and if it does present an issue, it will be easy to tell AKA car overheats out of nowhere after installing it, then you take a set of wire cutters and just cut the wire ties to remove it. Not too hard really.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit4Spl
I just ordered one myself from bernardi along with another small part I needed, I'll post pics as well. As for whoever said engine/tranny temp, the bottom area of open is nothing for airflow compared to say the opening in the front grill, and I highly doubt that one panel was left off for cooling, if so we should see the same problems on the insight at least those that are in the south. But I think it will be fine, and if it does present an issue, it will be easy to tell AKA car overheats out of nowhere after installing it, then you take a set of wire cutters and just cut the wire ties to remove it. Not too hard really.
I was not suggesting an overheating problem but a sustained increase in temps at all could make a difference. Without some application testing we will probably never know. I would suggest using some temperature thermocouples before and after the installation. Or just find a tech at Honda to ask.

Jerry G

Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Question

So did anyone add the CR-Z "splash shield" yet?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
a lot of modern cars have this. i doubt it has much effect on overheating (to the poster above).

i like it, it would keep everything clean.

it should improve fuel economy too. kind of a pita when you do an oil change though. at least it's not like removing 16 screws like on my 370Z. lol

Old 09-20-2012, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kenchan
...... kind of a pita when you do an oil change though. at least it's not like removing 16 screws like on my 370Z. lol
It's supposed to have an access panel, I just asked Scott in his thread if that panel is sufficient enough or does the whole shield have to be removed for oil changes.

It's on my list, just waiting to gather some more little OEM parts before I place my order, and also want to know which clips (and how many) can be used (need to be ordered). Scott had to use a few zipties (not that I mind).

Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
It's supposed to have an access panel, I just asked Scott in his thread if that panel is sufficient enough or does the whole shield have to be removed for oil changes.

It's on my list, just waiting to gather some more little OEM parts before I place my order, and also want to know which clips (and how many) can be used (need to be ordered). Scott had to use a few zipties (not that I mind).

sounds good, fitstir- keep us posted!

honestly though, i think i would be easier just removing the tray when you do the oil change.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
May look into this.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Sorry, I haven't visited here in a while (been busy on the bike )

I purchased the CRZ splash shield knowing that it wouldn't fit without modification as mentioned by AcousticAudio (Scott). But once I got it, and started to put it in place, I was unhappy with all the drilling and poking and prodding I was going to have to do to just get it to stay, not to mention have to take it off during each oil change (I guess if I used a Mityvac oil extractor I wouldn't have as much of a problem. I guess seeing it first hand I wasn't too happy about it.

So I have one sitting around if anyone wants to pick it up locally. In the mean time, its just collecting dust...

Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ If you were local I'd take it off your hands.

Does the splash shield have a 1'x1' access panel?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM
One thing to look at: as I read the descriptions of the Fit EV, it sounds like it has this splash guard in place. Once replacement parts are in the pipeline, it might be worth trying one of those on a gas Fit.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM
^^^ If you were local I'd take it off your hands.

Does the splash shield have a 1'x1' access panel?
Negative. At least the one I ordered doesn't.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
^^^Off what year was the shield you ordered?

I'm thinking it might have gotten added on to the 2011's on...
even CR-Z owners have mixed answers ---> anybody made a hinged access to oil drain plug and filter on the splash shield - Honda CRZ Forum

Old 10-12-2012, 10:34 PM
The VW Jetta TDIs have the plastic engine splash guards and many have replaced them with heavy aluminum "skid plates". The TDI sits very low like the Fit and it has a aluminum oil pan. Many TDI engines had died because their owners hit something on the highway and it broke the oil pan and lost the oil, thus the after market aluminum skid plate. In fact the last I knew, there were three different TDI enthusiast/builders/suppliers of these skid plates. Had one under my old TDI and I know it saved my oil pan many time when I hit something hard on snow covered roads.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Shameless plug and bump: I'm selling my cover for "free". I say "free" because I only ask that the "buyer" pay $14 shipping. Or come pick it up locally in NW Indiana/Chicagoland. Check the 2nd gen for sale section for more info.

Quick Reply: Do me a favor!