2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit Questions (struct tower bar, intake and more!) by newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Fit Questions (struct tower bar, intake and more!) by newbie

Hello All,

Hope you are having as much fun with your Fit as I am! Got the 2010 Honda Fit Sport Manual transmission. Could you please help with these questions?
1) My car is the "GE 08" ?
2a) Want to install a Struct Tower Bar (front) to improve steering (considering Cusco). What is the best one to get? Want sharp steering, ease of installation and durablility.
2b) Want to install Cone air filter to improve high RPM HP ( considering K&N Short Ram). What is the best one to get? Want more HP, ease of installation and no Hydrolock risk (rains A Lot in NC).
2c) Will 2a) & 2b) be compatible with each other?
3) Brake pads - Porterfield R4S or EBC Greenstuff or something else?
4) Unorthodox pulley works to make more HP?
5) Any other good bolton HP ideas?
6) Anything else to consider?
Best regards,
Durban

Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Yes your car is a GE8. That's the Honda chassis code. The older model fits in the us are called GD3

Cusco is a good brand for suspension bars.

Check out the PRM Intake. I love mine.

Wear out your stock pads first.

Exhaust is always fun

Best fun for me was also an ETC or electronic throttle controller.

Suspension...swift springs or coilovers. No other springs compare for the price. But if you have the dough. Coilovers.

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 04-05-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the info! What was the installation like for the PRM intake? You have any instructions or links you can refer me to?

Old 04-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by LittleRedRocket
Thanks for the info! What was the installation like for the PRM intake? You have any instructions or links you can refer me to?
Visit the PRM web site. If you can socket-fit several pieces of tubing together and tighten a band clamp around each connection, you can install this simple internal filter intake system. Just because you switch from forum to forum, you are still going to get the same answers. Why? Because you are corresponding with the same people.

PRM has a toll-free phone number. Just call and speak directly with the manufacturer- Gerry Sica. If you buy the K&N system instead, you will pay more and only get 5hp. gain. 5hp vs. 11+ hp. Shouldn't be a tough decision.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
The intake install is beyond simple. The hardest part of the whole thing it taking out the stock intake Just make sure you're careful I damamged my MAF sensor and had to buy another. I started a thread some time ago about it. If you search you should be able to find it.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Speaking of exhausts...the Tanabe touring medallion is a great one. Also if you're looking for HP an intake will actually hurt your low end hp a little, but makes up for it on the top/with sound

Old 04-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Hello Fit Freak Friends! Thanks for the Great info! Got the PRM intake installed now! It was about as easy as you can expect installing an intake to be be. Did not have to remove the battery to install. The PRM is an elegant and simple intake - a great design! Under normal driving can barely hear it. Drove the car up to 70 MPH and can't really hear much of a sound difference in normal driving. This is a good thing. Floor the throttle and the car pulls harder than normal and Snarls like a Freakin Banshee! It is LOUD! Ear plugs required but is sure does pull harder! Better throttle response too! Would enjoy it more if it were quieter but I wear ear plugs. You will not be able to drive this car hard in a stealthy manner. Around 5K can hear and Feel the engine apparently going on Vtec as it makes a Much Louder Snarl and pulls harder. Never felt that (or heard) with the stock intake. Now for a Front Struct Tower bar..

Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
don't waste your money on any of that shit.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
don't waste your money on any of that shit.
I inclined to agree with this statement... for the most part.

All these attempts to increase the HP makes me think the OP should've gotten a different car altogether.

The only recommendation I "believe" in, is the Swift Springs. And yes, I have done the springs also.

The intake, the exhaust, the strut tower... I feel like are more for show.

And if I'm being honest here... it feels like the OP is looking for "look at me, I got this-and-that" kind of "cred." Cause really, a newbie with strut tower bar?!? I mean, the only real way that is all that effective, is if you're a fairly involved racer (autox/track/etc)... and if you were, you wouldn't be here asking that question ("catch 22" of sorts).

Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 AM
Please excuse my ignorance as I am a newbie on here. So "OP" is me? My previous post was to give info. to other GE8 owners considering the same intake - this info. would have helped me make my decision if I had it previously. My previous post was an attempt to Add Value to other GE8 owners. As far as the Struct Tower bar, I have installed them on 2 previous cars I owned - 1985 Jetta GLI, 2000 Mazda Protege and it made an especially Big Difference in the Mazda, though I could detect an improvement in both cars. The Fit does seem to have a dead spot in the steering similar to the Mazda and I am hoping the Front Struct Tower Bar will cure it just like it did in the Mazda. Oh, I did race the Mazda in Sports Car Club of America Solo (AKA: autox). And to brag a little won my car class Twice (just don't ask me how many cars were in my car class!)! Intend to race the Fit too! By the way - the addition of the Struct Tower bar would cause the Mazda to be put in a faster car class than normal sometimes - it makes you faster on the race course. Believe it or not, just carrying a passenger on the race course makes me roughly 1 sec slower. Peace.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
Uh... yeah.

Surely you are adding something. But it's no value to anyone else but your own ego.

Like I said... all this info, is only useful for people that "race"... and people that "race" wouldn't need to ask. So therefore, all you are doing, is being pompous.

You make claim that it aided you in your Mazda... so in reality, YOU, more than anyone else should've already known what to look for in any product.

And with that, I'm kicking myself out of this thread.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Serkously. Op since youre smater than us, why ask us for help?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Wow! We sure do think about things in different ways! The original post regarding Front Struct Tower Bar is this:

2a) Want to install a Struct Tower Bar (front) to improve steering (considering Cusco). What is the best one to get? Want sharp steering, ease of installation and durablility.

As different Intakes have positives and negatives (ie: PRM is easier to install and makes more WHP than K&N, but PRM is apparently much louder than the K&N) there are probably similar differences in Front Struct Tower Bars. When I got a Front Struct Tower Bar for the Mazda - one of them Did Not Fit! The mfg. expected you to have a machine shop to make it fit! Hence one of the reasons why I got on this forum is to make sure I don't run into this issue again - other buyers can advise me. In addition, sometimes products are much more expensive than similar products and really don't add any more value than the less expense product. Hope this isn't too loaded of a statement but Mugen may be an example of an overly expensive product (exhaust) which really isn't any better than alternatives (Mugen exhaust > $600 vs HKS < $400). Thank you for giving your perspective on my post. Peace.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Say, anyone got a link to the dyno chart showing the PRM Intake made for the GE8 making +11 WHP?

Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 AM
So the information gained from this forum has helped me. What is the generally approved way to give back to the forum?

Old 04-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I inclined to agree with this statement... for the most part.

All these attempts to increase the HP makes me think the OP should've gotten a different car altogether.

The only recommendation I "believe" in, is the Swift Springs. And yes, I have done the springs also.

The intake, the exhaust, the strut tower... I feel like are more for show.

And if I'm being honest here... it feels like the OP is looking for "look at me, I got this-and-that" kind of "cred." Cause really, a newbie with strut tower bar?!? I mean, the only real way that is all that effective, is if you're a fairly involved racer (autox/track/etc)... and if you were, you wouldn't be here asking that question ("catch 22" of sorts).

Possibly more for show, but I put the front strut tower bars in my Civic, and it handled like a whole different car. Don't know what it would do for the Fit. (Rear bars did nothing)

Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Banned
Wow! We sure do think about things in different ways! The original post regarding Front Struct Tower Bar is this:

As different Intakes have positives and negatives (ie: PRM is easier to install and makes more WHP than K&N, but PRM is apparently much louder than the K&N) there are probably similar differences in Front Struct Tower Bars. When I got a Front Struct Tower Bar for the Mazda - one of them Did Not Fit! The mfg. expected you to have a machine shop to make it fit! Hence one of the reasons why I got on this forum is to make sure I don't run into this issue again - other buyers can advise me. In addition, sometimes products are much more expensive than similar products and really don't add any more value than the less expense product. Hope this isn't too loaded of a statement but Mugen may be an example of an overly expensive product (exhaust) which really isn't any better than alternatives (Mugen exhaust > $600 vs HKS < $400). Thank you for giving your perspective on my post. Peace.
There is no such thing as a "struct" tower. Not on a Fit, not on any other car. The front suspension is Mc Pherson STRUTS. The STRUTS are housed in the STRUT towers.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
get one of these or something similar

Cusco Front Lower Arm Bar VER1 - Honda Fit 09-11 - Bean Garage

I have heard that you can feel improvements after this is installed. It is going to be one of my first mods.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Say, anyone got a link to the dyno chart showing the PRM Intake made for the GE8 making +11 WHP?
uhh I seriously doubt the PRM intake makes 11WHP. I have one and I would surely notice 11+hp at the wheels!!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
So the information gained from this forum has helped me. What is the generally approved way to give back to the forum?
Hugs and send money to my PayPal

Quick Reply: Fit Questions (struct tower bar, intake and more!) by newbie