2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

stock suspension setup..

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 PM
stock suspension setup..

Hi everyone, I'm driving a '11 jazz hybrid.

I really like this car, except for the suspension.. I think the setup is very uncomfortable, expecially on rough roads.

Here were I'm driving (Italy), road conditions are very poor... gas and electricity companies make some new holes or cuts everyday..

So, I'm experiencing a very bad drive, altrough the car handles very well, it moves and bounce on every little road imperfection.

What do you suggest me to improve comfort?

I wad riding on 16inch whells but two days ago, decided to put on the original 15 inch wheels and drop the pressure to 2 bar..
I'm not aiming to lower my car, but wouldn't be bad for me, if necessary

ps. Sorry for my bad english!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
You are on the right track to try to get tires that have taller and more sidewall rubber to absorb the rough road, and try to reduce tire pressure (within safe reason)

Otherwise from financial perspective it is too expensive to do anything else. Perhaps different seats or cushions?

You may trade your car in for a Toyota.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
get a car with a longer wheelbase

Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Well guys, I'm not going to sell a car that I bought 2 months ago and has so much potential.. and my wife really like the Jazz.

I'm sure I can do something to make the ride more comfortable: for example, my 2nd ride is a Vw crosspolo that is similar as wheelbase and overall length, plus it has 215/40 r17 tyre.
Well, ride is much more comfortable than my jazz, even with eibach prokit and koni fsd I installed.

So, 175/65r15 or 185/55r16 tyre of the jazz are not so extreme.

My tuner suggested two options:
1- modify the stock absorber setup: less compression, more extension;
2- try a bilstein pss9 kit (the one which allows you to go higher, 0-30mm drop)
ps. option nr1 costs less than a half of option 2

What do you think?
Thanks for the help!

Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
You are on the right track to try to get tires that have taller and more sidewall rubber to absorb the rough road, and try to reduce tire pressure (within safe reason)
Yeah, exactly. The 15" with taller sidewalls should be more comfortable, plus you've already dropped your psi to 2 bar (29 psi).

Next option would be suspension, I guess.
Originally Posted by ZetaR
........... 2- try a bilstein pss9 kit (the one which allows you to go higher, 0-30mm drop) ...........

What do you think?
Thanks for the help!
Fit owners who have the Bilsteins on their cars are very happy about them . Sounds like it's quite a comfortable ride (more than stock). I've been thinking very serious about these, and will probably buy a set by the end of the year. The Bilsteins might be a better choice for you.

Check out these threads for more info:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...available.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...rs-anyone.html

Tirerack sells them for around $1100US not including shipping of course Bilstein PSS Coil-Over Kit=

How much do these go for in Italy?

Old 04-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I've found the b14 kit at 750€.

Would it really be more comfortable than the stock? It is a sporty kit (shortened damper, smaller spring.. ).
Plus, I could choose two versions, 0 -30mm or -20 -45mm.. think that i'd go for the minor drop).

I must say that changing to the 15" wheels made my car only a bit more comfortable and I'm worried about tyre wearing with such a low pressure.. (and I can use only 175/65 tyres.. too small for me..).

I want to put on my 16" as soon possible and solve the problem in the right way!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ZetaR
I've found the b14 kit at 750€.

Would it really be more comfortable than the stock?
That sounds like a great price.

As for comfort, I don't own them yet so I can't comment accurately, but I do recall some reviews saying they were more comfortable than stock.

Ask some of the fitfreak members who own them from these threads.
check the links above.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Thank you. I'm going to send some private messages..

Originally Posted by FitStir
That sounds like a great price.

As for comfort, I don't own them yet so I can't comment accurately, but I do recall some reviews saying they were more comfortable than stock.

Ask some of the fitfreak members who own them from these threads.
check the links above.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:53 PM
How I understand you…I bought a Renault GrandModus without doing a test drive and I’m very unpleased with its comfort in good roads.
I already changed my wheels from 16” to 15”, and my tires from 185/55 R16 to 175/65 R15. It improved a little, but not significantly.
After that I contacted 3 tuners and one told me there aren’t kits available to exchange security for comfort, only the opposite. Another proposed Koni FSB shock absorbers or to modify my original ones. The third one told me I have to change my springs, too. He is going to search for ones that could fit into my car, he mentioned Sparco.
I have serious doubts that:
1)Koni FSB are more comfortable than original ones (try and learn here is expensive).
2) I could solve the problem with changing only the shock absorbers.
3)That Sparco springs are more comfortable than the original ones.
I could buy specially made ones, but how much soften they should be, 5%, 10%...

Please if you find a solution for your car post it here, I’ll do the same for mine.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:40 PM
As regards the stock springs, maybe a soften setup will have effect but I think it will be really difficult to match the right rate and height of the car..
I thought I would have my absorber re-tuned (doing turns, I feel that they are very hard on compression, ok for the handling but not for comfort..), until I asked to a couple of members about Bilstein's b14. Their reviews are positive, this kit seems to be smoother, even if it a sporty one, than the stock setup.

So, the only thing I can do, is to try on my own.
I am awaiting to have them installed, hopefully on this week-end.
I'll write a review as soon as possible.

ps. After going back to the 15" wheels due to the comfort issue, I replaced back my 16" alloys, as this really brings an enormous improvement in handling. I really don't want to drive my jazz with those crappy 175/65 15!
As for Koni FSD, unfortunately there isn't a specific kit for our Jazz.. That would have been my choice, as I have them on another car and they works really great.

Last edited by ZetaR; 05-06-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
ops, sorry.. I misunderstood: we are talkin about a GrandModus, not a Jazz

In that case, I greatly recommend you Koni FSD (are they available for your car?).

I noticed a great improvement when cruising at "normal" speed. They are really soft and smooth.
Plus, they "understand" when you are doing tight turns and suddenly become stiff and guarantee you less rollover.
What I don't like, is that on tight bumps they become a bit stiffer than the original.

Whatever, my opinion is that they are GREAT.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Thank you, ZetaR...Yes they are available for my car. My question was precisely if in normal driving they were softer than stock ones.