2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to effectively label USB files?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:59 PM
How to effectively label USB files?

How can I get my USB files to show the artist/album/title detail that CDs show? I can only get two items to show--it looks like it is taking the info from two file folder titles. 3 layers of file folders doesn't work. So, I'm curious... is there something I'm missing?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
I only do one layer (oldies, hip-hop, 80s, etc.) and put less than 100 files per folder in each. I've never tried to do more than a single layer. Maybe that's the problem?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
have you tried putting the info directly into the music files "details?"

or changing the file names... like "(track number) - (artist) - (track name)" or something.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
I use windows media player to catalog my tunes and sync to the fob. It adds artist, album, track info to the file that the Fit's radio displays when I cycle through the titles (pushing the title button). WMP also allows you to edit this information.

When you right click the mp3 file (or wma) under windows and click on properties the summary tab displays all this information (and edit it some, but adding new properties seems limited). There are probably other programs to help edit this besides WMP, but WMP is free and easy.

As for folder structure, the Fit's radio seems to ignore any folders that don't contain playable music. If a folder just contains other folders it ignores it but will display the sub-folders assuming they have music files.

So organizing music seems to be limited to one folder level. A little limiting. You're almost better off having multiple memory fobs to use for organizing music.

The order of folders is a bit odd too. The Fit's radio seems to play them in the order they were added to the memory fob (not alphabetically like they may have been displayed in Windows). Probably has to do with a low level index structure in the file system. When adding everything from WMP this seems to go in artist/group order.

Or get an ipod, but that seems like overkill just to have playlists.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, this is one of my major gripes about using a usb thumbdrive for music. The folder structure. I'm sure they could easily fix this with an "update" that would allow you to traverse folders even if it didn't have a playable song in it, so you could quickly find artists or albums.

Yes, the Fit orders folders by when they were added. I found a program on the internet that will reorder your thumbdrive to go by alphabetical order (in my case, my folders are listed alphabetically by artist)

Anerty's Lair - DriveSort

use at your own risk, since I don't think it's updated anymore. I haven't had any issues with it.

My dream is that an update is issued for the radio so it traverse parent folders only, until you press the volume button to go into that folder.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
If you are using Windows it's fairly simple. Right click the track you want to edit and click properties. Select the Details tab and change or enter what you want to see.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KatzeChicX
How can I get my USB files to show the artist/album/title detail that CDs show? I can only get two items to show--it looks like it is taking the info from two file folder titles. 3 layers of file folders doesn't work. So, I'm curious... is there something I'm missing?
I can get 3 items to show. I organized my music in folders in the following way:

Level 1: Artist
Level 2: Album Name
Level 3: Song (I put a 2 digit track number in front of each song name - here's how: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1094540)

Come to think of it, I may only be able to navigate by album and song, but by pressing the "Title" button I'm pretty sure I can manually choose to display Artist, Album Name, or Song.

Having said that, I don't think it shows elapsed/remaining time (maybe on CD but not USB), nor does it scroll left to right for titles/names that are longer than the screen's character limit. You just get that < or > symbol at the end (I forget which).

Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Hold the title button down a few seconds; it'll toggle left/right on titles that are too big.

The folder structure is ignored beyond one level; it's picking up the artist, album, track data from the file. Only the name of the file has numbers if that's how it was created/copied.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks Steve - that's interesting.

When you say toggle do you mean that it will just alternate between the first X characters and the next X characters while you press the button manually, or can you "turn on scrolling" by holding the title button down? If the former, I might use it some when I'm really curious about a song's title, but if the latter, I'd turn it on all the time.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
that's right; it alternates when you press the button and hold for a few seconds. It doesn't have an "auto-scroll" mode. You have to press and hold to get back to the beginning of the title (a little annoying it doesn't return on its own).