2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Rear Wing Delete!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 AM
Question Rear Wing Delete!?

I have a 2012 Sport and I was wondering if anyone else has removed their rear wing. It definitely doesn't help a front wheel drive car get more power to the ground, as far as I know it just creates a little extra drag. If someone here more knowledgeable would care to contradict me, and tell me something I didn't know about how it actually effects the performance, they should feel free to go right ahead

Anyway, what I'm looking for is:
1. Has anyone removed theirs?
2. How did you do it? (Was it difficult?)
3. Does it look better sans wing?
4. Pictures!!!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
It will leave mounting holes I believe.

While the difference is probably very marginal with the stock wing, downforce isn't just for the drive wheels. Keeping the rear end planted keeps the rear from wondering and in theory should keep the rear in check during high speed driving.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
aesthetics>drag , the coefficient drag of our cars is not great, so why "uggg" up your fit?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
1. Has anyone removed theirs? Yes i have, theevilone has and others who changed spoilers.
pb blaster/wd40 the bolts under the 2 clips and loosen with a ratchet. then theres 4 things that are stuck in that you need to force out. that was a pain, and it was even left in my hatch, still havent removed always hear it when i open my hatch.
3. Does it look better sans wing? didn't notice i changed it with a spoon replica which i like.
4. Pictures!!!i dont have any without the spoiler looks like a base model with holes thoe

Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
I removed mine to change the angle using this DIY

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...oiler-mod.html

Name:  004-10.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  54.7 KB

Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Funkster
It will leave mounting holes I believe.

While the difference is probably very marginal with the stock wing, downforce isn't just for the drive wheels. Keeping the rear end planted keeps the rear from wondering and in theory should keep the rear in check during high speed driving.
I actually thought of that, and wasn't sure what speeds it actually takes for that to really matter. The Fit certainly maxes out on power before the aerodynamics really would matter though...right?

Originally Posted by cfran55
1. Has anyone removed theirs? Yes i have, theevilone has and others who changed spoilers.
pb blaster/wd40 the bolts under the 2 clips and loosen with a ratchet. then theres 4 things that are stuck in that you need to force out. that was a pain, and it was even left in my hatch, still havent removed always hear it when i open my hatch.
3. Does it look better sans wing? didn't notice i changed it with a spoon replica which i like.
4. Pictures!!!i dont have any without the spoiler looks like a base model with holes thoe
Hmmmm, I wonder if Honda has some clip on pieces to fill in the holes on the base model, or if the base model tailgate isn't made to take the spoiler at all....Thoughts?

Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
you can buy the strip that the wing is attached to from honda. it comes with no holes and is colour matched.

heres my thead about wingless fits from 2 years ago.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-fit-pics.html

i never did leave it wingless. went with a cf duckbill instead

Last edited by sandblasted; 03-26-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
That "wing" is probably more for aesthetics than actual performance. It's also angled downward (not up like a real spoiler) so if anything, it probably helps smooth out the airflow behind the Fit on the hwy instead of adding downforce. Like any car with a boxy rear end, it produces a lot of low pressure vortices, since it doesn't taper and smooth out the airflow. Don't take it off. It won't look good (no offence to base owners) and it's aerodynamic effects are probably negligible anyways. It's a Fit, not F1

Last edited by phrancis; 03-26-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Could you imagine a Formula Fit Racing series? They already use the fits engine in formula F

Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phrancis
That "wing" is probably more for aesthetics than actual performance. It's also angled downward (not up like a real spoiler) so if anything, it probably helps smooth out the airflow behind the Fit on the hwy instead of adding downforce. Like any car with a boxy rear end, it produces a lot of low pressure vortices, since it doesn't taper and smooth out the airflow. Don't take it off. It won't look good (no offence to base owners) and it's aerodynamic effects are probably negligible anyways. It's a Fit, not F1
Bingo!

Most wings on the back of vehicles aren't for downforce (especially not smaller wings) They are designed to help airflow and reduce drag/resistance by breaking up the vacuum that is created behind a vehicle. How much it helps in the fit's case is unknown. I'm sure other elements of the FIT Sport increase drag (or cut down on economy due to weight gain) and maybe the fit's wing counters some of that. With a 1.5L motor, everything helps.

~SB

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM
this should help...

Old 03-27-2012, 01:55 AM
If anything, you should grow that "wing" thing! and stick some snazzy wheel covers on...
Name:  Crazyhondafitidea2.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  29.3 KB

making the back end taper, like the teardrop shape of a submarine, or citeron ds, or dymaxion car would make it the most aerodynamic and get much better hwy mpgs. As air wraps around the flat back of a car it's all jumbled up in little tornadoes. This creates a low pressure drag that decreases fuel economy. A teardrop shape smoothly returns the air to it's normal state as the car passes through it. Some say it's actually more important than the front end being raked. Look at how much more blunt the front of a blimp or submarine is compared the the stern. Guess you could drive your Fit backwards instead - if you had more reverse gears

Old 03-27-2012, 03:00 PM
If you decide to delete your wing, I may be interested in buying it for my base.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Rear Wing

It is sad to say that talking to guy's that have these car's such as I, the rear wing is not for anything other than "RAIN"! There is a foil that happens in all cases with rain. If you notice, while driving, when there is rain involved, the wing in the rear, keeps the water from hitting the back glass while the car is in motion. Watch this the next time you clear your rear glass, then drive down the highway, and notice, you won't have to clear it again, until you stop, or even slow down. Hints it's angle. Watch a wind tunnel video of the Fit. Mini vans also have this wing. Again, it's for Rain only.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
I swapped hatches with a buddy.

I'm sure you'd be able to find someone with a base model willing to swap.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by knowdirt
the rear wing is not for anything other than "RAIN"
Here in Portland, we actually get more rain than Seattle, and sure, that spoiler helps keep the rear window a bit dryer, but I swear that "wing" is there for aesthetics and maybe smoothing out the trailing airflow. Old station wagons and vans used to have that same downward wing with a gap between the body and wing, used for directing airflow down around the back of the boxy rear end. This was to reduce low pressure vorticies and smooth out the airflow. Ever notice how almost all boxy rear end cars have a rear windshield wiper? That vertical piece of glass is less exposed to rain coming down, yet that boxy rear creates swirling wind and rain when traveling fast enough.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by phrancis
Here in Portland, we actually get more rain than Seattle, and sure, that spoiler helps keep the rear window a bit dryer, but I swear that "wing" is there for aesthetics and maybe smoothing out the trailing airflow. Old station wagons and vans used to have that same downward wing with a gap between the body and wing, used for directing airflow down around the back of the boxy rear end. This was to reduce low pressure vorticies and smooth out the airflow. Ever notice how almost all boxy rear end cars have a rear windshield wiper? That vertical piece of glass is less exposed to rain coming down, yet that boxy rear creates swirling wind and rain when traveling fast enough.
My 03' 4runner is equipped with a similar style spoiler and it def does a decent job keeping dirt and rain off the rear glass, it was most noticeable on highway use.