2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

K&N Typhoon Intake !

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:03 AM
K&N Typhoon Intake !

Hey guys, just purchased a K&N 69-1017TTK Typhoon air intake system! It'll be going onto my 2012 Fit (known as Jazz here in Australia) so i'm hoping it'll push it up from stock 118hp to around 123hp. I've done a lot of reading and haven't come across any problems with this intake, but is there anything I should know about this intake? Anyone have any experience with this on our GE model cars?

It'll take around 10 days to get to me so I'll keep updating when it arrives.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
The install is straightforward. The only thing I had a problem with is the little screw that holds that holds the clamp at the top of the exit portion of the stock box. I stripped it by not being careful and using the wrong size screwdriver. Ended up yanking/twisting it off. Other thing is, I think they recommend only using a certain bracket with the auto, but I put it in with the manual anyways, as it seems to firm up the mount.

You probably won't get those types of gains..maybe. The jury is still out on that. I think mine makes a difference depending on the quality of fuel in there. The noise and response are fun though. Enjoy!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 PM
I just put one of these in my xterra. Agree that the noises are fun, not sure if it's any quicker.

And OP, I just visited your country for the first time last week (Sydney area). Beautiful place!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
SAE Net =/= WHP..

Even then ~1lb/min gain from an intake pipe and K&N filter will be canceled out by the losses under the curve and the stock ECU dialing back timing and TPS% to keep cylinder pressure in check.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
SAE Net =/= WHP..

Even then ~1lb/min gain from an intake pipe and K&N filter will be canceled out by the losses under the curve and the stock ECU dialing back timing and TPS% to keep cylinder pressure in check.
This.

The additional noise you may enjoy?

Old 03-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by hayden
The install is straightforward. The only thing I had a problem with is the little screw that holds that holds the clamp at the top of the exit portion of the stock box. I stripped it by not being careful and using the wrong size screwdriver. Ended up yanking/twisting it off. Other thing is, I think they recommend only using a certain bracket with the auto, but I put it in with the manual anyways, as it seems to firm up the mount.

You probably won't get those types of gains..maybe. The jury is still out on that. I think mine makes a difference depending on the quality of fuel in there. The noise and response are fun though. Enjoy!
Thanks for that, i'll keep that in mind when installing. Here in Australia we have a few different types of fuel, 91 unleaded + 10% ethanol, 91 unleaded, 95 unleaded, 95 vortex and 98 premium vortex.. Prices varying from $1.25/L for the ethanol blend up to $1.65/L for the 98 vortex.
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
SAE Net =/= WHP..

Hmm i see, is there any way of some how bypassing this to make the most out of an air intake? If not then i guess i'll just enjoy the deeper sound it'll make

Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 AM
my intake is currently still clearing customs .. hopefully it'll be here by this friday or at most next monday .

Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Easy install just make sure engine is cool so you don't have coolant spray out at you, FML.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Haha i assume you didn't and was sprayed by the coolant?

Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Missed me, my engine bay not so lucky. Patience is not a virtue of mine. just have the coolant replacement line ready and in hand.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
The ECU will aclimate to the new intake in 3 days and minimize gains + you will probably loose power on the low end. However, it should be fun.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Fit*est
Missed me, my engine bay not so lucky. Patience is not a virtue of mine. just have the coolant replacement line ready and in hand.
Thanks for the tip! lol.
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
The ECU will aclimate to the new intake in 3 days and minimize gains + you will probably loose power on the low end. However, it should be fun.
Hmm I'm not really too worried about low end, I just like to have a bit more power for when overtaking and such .

Old 04-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Intake arrived today ! Will be installing it after I let the car cool for a couple more hours

Old 04-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Funkster
The additional noise you may enjoy?
until you hear this "rattle" GE8 K&N High Performance Air Intake Kits - YouTube is that from the intake hitting the shield???

Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by LeAJazz
Intake arrived today ! Will be installing it after I let the car cool for a couple more hours
sweet... in for pics

Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Finally installed..

Went for a little drive and its definitely noticeable . I do enjoy the deeper, slightly louder (nice) noise and I can actually hear vtec kicking in now

@TheEvilOne, theres no "rattle" on my car. I installed everything according to the instructions and every bolt tight and secure! Neither the pod or the heat shield is touching anything that could cause it to rattle.

Just one thing I want to know, what will the people at honda say when I take it in for its routine services ..

Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Just one thing I want to know, what will the people at honda say when I take it in for its routine services ..
I don't know about over there, but over here, Honda is one of the most tolerant when it comes to mods and warranty service. The guys at my dealership (which is an exceptional one) were encouraging me to mod mine, and they didn't even know I was into that kinda thing.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 AM
no problems with me as well

Old 04-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by hayden
I don't know about over there, but over here, Honda is one of the most tolerant when it comes to mods and warranty service. The guys at my dealership (which is an exceptional one) were encouraging me to mod mine, and they didn't even know I was into that kinda thing.
Hmm I hope my dealer also encourages mods don't think i'd be doing anything else to the engine bay anyway ..

Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Question

Finally installed..
Wow, never noticed how much deeper the cowl is over the radiator on the Jazz. It looks like there's even a metal brace there. :Scratches Head: Looks like it blocks your access to the front of the engine, or is this just an optical conclusion?

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon Intake !