2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Got hit and runned, bumper scraped

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
Got hit and runned, bumper scraped

My gf took my fit out, parked for 5 minutes, walked back and saw this:

Name:  0QHaVl.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  49.5 KB

Sucks, as I have less than 600 miles on it, and I was just learning about how to detail and was really planning on keeping the condition up.

Can a body shop just touch this up and look halfway decent or are they going to have to repaint the whole thing? I could probably buff out the white paint on there, but the black parts are down to the plastic.

Should I just take a deep breath and ignore it because a bumper is likely to get scraped up? I think right now I feel like that's going to drive me crazy. Should I attempt to just touch up the paint myself? Probably will look like crap if I did that...

Wat do fitfreaks?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
if i had a garage or a driveway where it is regularly parked, i would go and have this fixed. but if you parallel park on the street, i wouldn't bother because people are gonna bumper tap it over a dozen times a year.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
It's about $600 at a body shop to repair and repaint. (I've had it done twice...)

If you're going to claim it on your insurance, get a police report so it's on record as hit-and-run. This way your uninsured motorist insurance (if you have it) will pay. The deductible is usually less than comprehensive/collision.

The police report usually involves going back to the scene or visiting the precinct office for that area. Some jurisdictins might take it over the phone. Call the non-emergency number for the police dept in that area.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Hit & Run

Sorry about your Fit! Inconsiderate and unskilled driving IDIOTS!! This is a picture of my hit & run.
R.I.P. '07 VBP Sport 5MT Awaiting delivery 2012 VBP Sport 5 MT!!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to read this my friend.

Some people have no respect and morals. The good thing, you can get it fixed and you won't even tell it happened!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
I backed into a pole and ruined my bumper cover. I ordered one online and took it to a body shop to have it painted, then replaced it myself. There are only about 6 - 8 bolts holding it on. If you're handy at all with a wrench, it shouldn't take you more than an hour to do. Of course, if your insurance will pay for it, let them. But I didn't want to file a claim because I was at fault.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Any details about how this happened? Was your car paralled parked and some one parked by Braille?? I always worry about where to park and how to avoid goof balls that hit other vehicles.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by fittmann
Sorry about your Fit! Inconsiderate and unskilled driving IDIOTS!! This is a picture of my hit & run.

holy fuck! by what? a moose? bear possibly? lol..

Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 AM
I'd try buffing out what you can and then using some spray touch-up paint. If it comes out halfway decent, try not looking right at it for a few days. You may find it's not as noticable as it was at first. As one of the other posters said, you're likely to get a few more bumper dings. At some point you may find it more cost effective to take it to a body shop then.

Sorry, I know it's easy for me to say - it would make me crazy too - good luck!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by fittmann

I like how they left a hunk of grill sitting on your windshield.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
It was head-in parked with 1 lane of parking lot traffic flow behind. Somewhat tight quarters but nothing that would make most people sweat. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't report this to insurance because it's probably not worth chancing my insurance increasing. I do have uninsured/underinsured coverage though. Fittman's pic is crazy, I'm glad that didn't happen to me, although then it be a no-brainer to ask for insurance to cover it.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by komafit
It was head-in parked with 1 lane of parking lot traffic flow behind. Somewhat tight quarters but nothing that would make most people sweat. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't report this to insurance because it's probably not worth chancing my insurance increasing. I do have uninsured/underinsured coverage though. Fittman's pic is crazy, I'm glad that didn't happen to me, although then it be a no-brainer to ask for insurance to cover it.

The police report, plus coverage under uninsured-motorist, would absolve you of any responsibility. Your insurance company really couldn't raise your rate as a result (ask your agent if you're not sure). It's what you paid insurance for.

This is what mine looked like. It was about $600 for the repair/respray and took a week. I paid $250 and had the use of a rental car (rental car coverage too). I also got a check for a couple hundred "diminished value" from my own company (it's a GA thang). Yeah I felt stupid filing a police report, but my insurance agent advised me to, and the cop didn't think it was stupid.

The second time my delinquent 15yo son backed it into a brick mailbox. This did not get reported to insurance.

This repair cost about the same even though they had to replace the bumper cover. Actually a Honda place quoted a repair that was higher than another shop that quoted replacement with genuine new Honda parts.

Don't worry: I disowned my son.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by komafit
My gf took my fit out, parked for 5 minutes, walked back and saw this:

Is that your partially decapitated GF reflecting in the bumper? That's harsh.

Nice snow. Colorado, huh?

Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
This is what my bumper looks now after months of abuse. (TFB Designs band-aid sticker in white on top)

Name:  omgwtf-1.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  14.9 KB

I've thought of having it fixed professionally but as long as street parking is in my car's future, I rather not. This is why Inner-city Fits can't have nice things--they get bumper abused, and thieves will have their way with them.

Last edited by blassty; 02-13-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
More of a run then hit in my case. Forgot something inside at work, already had the car running so I put it in nutral (MT) and hopped out and started to walk in, relized my mistake of forgetting to put the hand break on and made a run for it back to the car as it rolled into a concreet lamp post. I felt terible as the car only had 5k mi on it at the time. I can't imagine someone else being the cause.

I must say though, it isn't often you get to spectate your own car crash.

Name:  DSCF7692Large.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  131.5 KB

At some point I am going to sand, fill and paint it. I think I found a paint that matches well enough to not be noticable.