2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda says "no"/I say "yes" warranty issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
And the TSB for the 09's states that it is covered by warranty even if it's the driver's elbow pressure ("fault"). I'm quoting the TSB in my BBB claim. Front Armrest is Cracked (09-032)

Last edited by lowkeymods; 02-14-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Still think that you should contact corporate American Honda... BBB is weak compared to them.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 AM
The BBB has no power other than to give a bad review or kick a company out. It's not a governmental entity. In fact it's owned by the members themselves and there have been a zillion 60 Minutes type stories about how they're no help to consumers.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
yea, you might as well write an anti-honda blog, do an online petition, or just start shouting in the wind. All of these things are equally as useful as a BBB entry.

As other people mentioned, talk with honda corporate, or try contacting your local tv news/newspaper consumer help section(if you have such a thing in your area). Or small-claims court/arbitration of your warranty claim.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 AM
mines broken 25k miles. but i never applied heavy pressure.maybe some were just made thinner during the molding process.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm, interesting turn of events. I called back Honda Customer Service to try one more time. (Last time they told me it was the dealer's call and if they said it was abuse then it voided warranty. They also said that I could keep the case open but no one would ever call me about it ) This time they said, we've assigned you a case manager and he is out to lunch but he'll be in contact w/ you after talking to the dealership. We noticed you filed a BBB claim and would like you to hold off filing the paperwork until he gets back with you in the next couple days.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
Hmmm, interesting turn of events. I called back Honda Customer Service to try one more time. (Last time they told me it was the dealer's call and if they said it was abuse then it voided warranty. They also said that I could keep the case open but no one would ever call me about it ) This time they said, we've assigned you a case manager and he is out to lunch but he'll be in contact w/ you after talking to the dealership. We noticed you filed a BBB claim and would like you to hold off filing the paperwork until he gets back with you in the next couple days.
Good news!

I hope they get you all squared away soon!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Talked to Honda customer service today. They said the TSB was only applicable to 09 and the dealer has to make the call about abuse since they can't see it, but I was welcome to try another dealer.

I told them it's the principle of the thing and that I'd probably just send in my BBB paperwork than run around to a bunch of dealers (which I probably will have to do anyway based on what's been said about the BBB)

Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Paint the back window with this ''JOE BLOW DEALER SOLD ME THIS LEMON". and park it across the street from the lot. I can guarantee it will get fixed the next day.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Definitely go to small claims court, some lady just got 10000 in a case about Hondas inaccurate mpg. Sue them for the repair/replacement and for them wasting your time.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
lol at going to small claims court over a <$200 fix.

Not surprised that the dealership isn't covering it - they should, but they'll do as little as possible once you've driven the car off the lot. I read about people having this problem and make a conscious effort to not put too much pressure on it. Unfortunately, not everyone had the benefit of knowing that it was a weak spot, and for that, the dealership should fix it pronto.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:51 AM
America, home of the Lawsuit Lottery.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
If Honda fails to honor its warranty obligations, filing a suit in small claims court is exactly what he should do. Whether he has the time or inclination to do this for what amounts to a $200 fix is the hard part; letting Honda thumb their nose at their contractual obligations would be easy.

Don't confuse this with ambulance chasing lawyers.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Contacting your states' attorney general might be a viable option.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
hmm.. all I can say is my 09 Fit had the same problem and my dealer fixed it no problem. Maybe try a different dealer.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Honda is saying that 09's are covered but they "fixed" it the next year so it's my fault for an 10. The dealer is claiming that the cracking pattern resembles that of an object hitting it. (Real CSI crew up there ) The crack has spread only because I thought it was just the fabric wearing and didn't inspect it for a long while.

I'm going to see if the BBB will help me mediate my claim, but I'll look into small claims if that doesn't work. I'm torn between saying screw it, it's not worth this much effort/making Honda stick to their "bumper to bumper" claims.

Last edited by lowkeymods; 02-22-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
Honda is saying that 09's are covered but they "fixed" it the next year so it's my fault for an 10. The dealer is claiming that the cracking pattern resembles that of an object hitting it. (Real CSI crew up there ) The crack has spread only because I thought it was just the fabric wearing and didn't inspect it for a long while.

I'm going to see if the BBB will help me mediate my claim, but I'll look into small claims if that doesn't work. I'm torn between saying screw it, it's not worth this much effort/making Honda stick to their "bumper to bumper" claims.
I think i suggested it earlier, but you can also try with your local news' or paper's consumer affairs unit (if you have such a thing locally).

It magically does get results too.

Here's also something we have in CA. not sure if you have something similar
http://www.nmvb.ca.gov/consumer_prog..._overview.html

Last edited by raytseng; 02-23-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
If they won't help, so be it. At this point, it might be best to repair or replace the the part yourself, never do business with that dealer again, post the dealer's name here (sticking to the facts of the case) so we don't do business with them either, and do whatever else you like (within the limits of the law) to make their lives miserable or steer business away from them, for kicks. That means no slander or steaming dog poo through the after hours key deposit slot. Just a thought.

Last edited by phogroian; 02-24-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
So, I have an '09 Fit that I bought a year ago with 27k miles. It already had the cracked armrest when I bought it, but it was in immaculate condition. I just passed 40k. I called up our local dealership after reading the TSB and after taking my VIN# they said it didn't apply to my car (we didn't even discuss its mileage). What the hell? I have the Hondacare ext warranty, but I'm assuming that does me no good here. I'm guessing I have no leg to stand on here other than to jump on a bandwagon or argue that it was broken way before the 40k mark. Any suggestions? And why the hell are they saying it applies to '09s, but not mine?!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by single_digit
So, I have an '09 Fit that I bought a year ago with 27k miles. It already had the cracked armrest when I bought it, but it was in immaculate condition. I just passed 40k. I called up our local dealership after reading the TSB and after taking my VIN# they said it didn't apply to my car (we didn't even discuss its mileage). What the hell? I have the Hondacare ext warranty, but I'm assuming that does me no good here. I'm guessing I have no leg to stand on here other than to jump on a bandwagon or argue that it was broken way before the 40k mark. Any suggestions? And why the hell are they saying it applies to '09s, but not mine?!
Did you buy it certified from a Honda Dealer? Or through private party sale? (either way, you bought it WITH it broken, why didn't you take up the issue with them at the time?)

Maybe there's something in the VIN# history that they don't like.

Or hell, maybe they're just being bozos and don't feel like honoring it.

edit: one of the oh so many reasons why I hate buying used anything.

Quick Reply: Honda says "no"/I say "yes" warranty issue