2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

More comfortable seats??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:30 AM
More comfortable seats??

I like everything about my 2012 FIT, except for the seats. I'm only 5'6" and 140 lb., so I would assume I should "fit" into the FIT. But my hips hurt and my ankle hurts due to the wierd angle that my foot rests on the accelerator. The older Honda seats were PERFECT, and they screwed it up with the FIT, for sure.

Seems like the back of the seat has way too much lumbar support and the seat bottom is oddly-shaped, putting too much pressure on the back of my thighs.

Anyway, has anyone replaced their seats with something more Honda-traditional? Aftermarket seats would be fine, or even something from an older Civic or something.

I'm actually considering selling my 3-month old car just because of the seat comfort. It's ridiculous. Any suggestions??

Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I will agree the seats are pretty shoddy.

I've been looking at picking up some gently used or even new front seats from a 8th gen Civic SI, they seem to go in with little modding, and I think some have said the main advantage to doing that is retaining the side airbags. Aftermarket racing seats like Bride won't have the side airbags.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Are the side curtain airbags triggered by the seat?? I was under the impression they trigger in a side impact by sensors in the door rather than the seat.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:15 PM
The side airbags are in the seats, the Fit has side and curtain which those are in the roof, for front and rear. Side airbags being only for front occupants.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
I have been looking at the Corbeau RSX reclining suspension seats... A harness type restraining system would be as good or better than the side impact bags or they would use the bags in race cars.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have been looking at the Corbeau RSX reclining suspension seats... A harness type restraining system would be as good or better than the side impact bags or they would use the bags in race cars.
This is very true, all I know is my wife says "you are buying new seats for this car" she really likes the Bride buckets but I've just been caught up in the fact of trying to retain the side airbags.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I think that it is not so much about the design of the seats, but the lack of a vertical height adjustment on the seat bottom. In order to save money, Honda decided not to offer adjustment. Depending on a person's weight, height, and leg length, added pressure is appled to the back side of your leg and ultimately to your back.

I can only suggest that you experiment with the forward and backward location of the seat. This can change the angle of your legs as your foot rests on the accelerator.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Lol I wish my wife was telling me to buy new seats

Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by dick_larimore
In order to save money, Honda decided not to offer adjustment. Depending on a person's weight, height, and leg length, added pressure is appled to the back side of your leg and ultimately to your back.
or....it could be that honda never changed the design because they never had any reason to untill the fit showed up in america. i'm 5'4 (typical asian height) and i've never had a problem with them.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
The lumbar support was the biggest issue with mine. I ended up replaceing the plastic seat shaper with a piece of plywood. Need to do some mods to the active headrest system to keep that if you do this though (need to bend up a new bar for it).

Old 02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cocowheat
or....it could be that honda never changed the design because they never had any reason to untill the fit showed up in america. i'm 5'4 (typical asian height) and i've never had a problem with them.
At 6 ft tall, I guess I'm NOT your typical Asian, still tallest in my family so far.

Originally Posted by dick_larimore
I think that it is not so much about the design of the seats, but the lack of a vertical height adjustment on the seat bottom. In order to save money, Honda decided not to offer adjustment. Depending on a person's weight, height, and leg length, added pressure is appled to the back side of your leg and ultimately to your back.
The Honda Insight II has manually adjustable seat height while retaining side airbags. I mean, if someone wants to do a swap... there's an option.

I can only suggest that you experiment with the forward and backward location of the seat. This can change the angle of your legs as your foot rests on the accelerator.
Just for reference, I have the bottom of my seats ALL the way to the back. I notice that when the seats are more upright... I am quite uncomfortable. My leg gets cramped and my back doesn't feel very comfortable even just a few seconds later.

But if I recline the back of the seat until my arms, fully stretched, are just able to hold the top of the steering wheel with my back in full contact with the seat, I feel much better. My legs don't get cramped. And amazingly, I can still fit myself in the back seat.

The one thing I should mention, is that I find myself driving in a more of "lifted off the seat" position. I mean, the only part of my back that is in contact with the seat is the lower part (right about where the lumbar is). I guess it has to do with the fact I slouch a lot.

When I'm sitting at my computer, I'm pretty much in the same position, lifted off the back of the seat.