2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Hit a deer and now my hood won't close properly!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy Hit a deer and now my hood won't close properly!

I recently hit a deer at 30 mph (I think I killed it) there's no damage on my car other then the fact that my hood won't close all the way now. It hit right at the license plate, I found it funny even though my car is damaged. Does anyone know a way I can diagnose the problem or maybe fix it myself?, I don't have the money to shell out to fix it at a body shop right now. Anything I can check out just to see the damage? The hinge looks fine but I'm not sure what a stock one looks, it feels like there's a metal point not letting it close. I've tried anything, any help!?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Get it professionaly repaired asap. A hood that doesn't close properly is a hood that can pop open while driving, with the potential for catastrophic results. Been there, somehow lived through it, and will never do that again. Fix the hood right, and don't hit deers if at all possible. I have near misses every so often. Don't hit deers.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Get it professionaly repaired asap. A hood that doesn't close properly is a hood that can pop open while driving, with the potential for catastrophic results. Been there, somehow lived through it, and will never do that again. Fix the hood right, and don't hit deers if at all possible. I have near misses every so often. Don't hit deers.
Lol, yeah I will get it checked out hopefully it won't cost that much. It's been a month hahaha. That's true I honestly did not think of that how simple of me. And yeah of course don't hit deers, this mofo ran out in front of me. Goddamnit.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Deer never got in my way when I rode a Harley-Davidson Wide Glide with an after market exhaust... I hardly leave the house that I don't see them and a lot of the time they come right up to the window of my house and watch me.... I've only hit one 16 years ago so I'm about due to hit another one... I keep a tarp in the car in case I do... I love venison....

Old 02-01-2012, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Deer never got in my way when I rode a Harley-Davidson Wide Glide with an after market exhaust... I hardly leave the house that I don't see them and a lot of the time they come right up to the window of my house and watch me.... I've only hit one 16 years ago so I'm about due to hit another one... I keep a tarp in the car in case I do... I love venison....
Makes up for missing that roadrunner, huh Tex?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by pandayun
I recently hit a deer at 30 mph (I think I killed it)
Bambi: "Mom?"

Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
Makes up for missing that roadrunner, huh Tex?
There aren't many road runners around these days, buzzards picking road kill to pieces are very common though..

Old 02-01-2012, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Dang you're lucky OP. Must've been a small one otherwise you'd have significant damage. You eat venison?

Maybe something you could try is realigning the hinges/hinge points as a no cost temp. solution.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
+1 wat subie said. glad you weren't hurt, OP. ive seen cars getting totalled hitting a deer or swirving out of the way and hit a tree, etc.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, swerving is really not much of an option and very "driving conditions" dependent - speed, weather, road conditions, space, traffic, etc. yet it's the first instinct most of us react with... hence all these new car "safety" technologies - ESC, etc.

Sometimes head-on is the best option.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Hahaha, funny how the deer got back up walked around and then knocked out. It was hilarious but it wouldn't be funny if the damage was crazy. Here's a picture of my hood gap, I went through my insurance ($50 deductible) it ended up costing $1,000.00 in repairs for paint and everything. Luckily this doesn't affect my rates and this stupid deer hit my license plate hahaha.

Originally Posted by Subie
Dang you're lucky OP. Must've been a small one otherwise you'd have significant damage. You eat venison?

Maybe something you could try is realigning the hinges/hinge points as a no cost temp. solution.
and true that, it seriously hit right at the plate. The hooves made a little cracks in the paint but nothing a $1,000 quote for this amount of repairs can't fix -_-;; my radiator ended up being pushed back the total of the parts is $75, the labor $525. Anyone in virginia need a good autobody shop I have a great recommendation! ^^

Last edited by pandayun; 02-02-2012 at 01:04 AM.