2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Trading my Escape for Fit..couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Euromedic
I am a member of that forum, and I have seen that. A definite idea, but i can put the bikes on top using the genuine accessories instead.

thanks for all the feedback. It didn't change my tune on the car itself but some good feedback on a hitch rack in particular. My local Rack Attack (I stopped in today) guy has a gen 1 fit and showed me everything I could use. It isnt going to be the family hauler by any stretch- never intended that - but it should do what i want it to.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Just throwing this out there in case you're not aware - the upcoming Mazda CX-5 with the SkyActiv engine and 6MT might be something to consider. FWD only with the 6MT, but then again so is the Fit, and the EPA highway mileage ratings are higher on the CX-5.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by neteng101
Just throwing this out there in case you're not aware - the upcoming Mazda CX-5 with the SkyActiv engine and 6MT might be something to consider. FWD only with the 6MT, but then again so is the Fit, and the EPA highway mileage ratings are higher on the CX-5.
I apologize for also wandering beyond the OP's initial topic, but have considered the upcoming Ford c-max? It will have more hp than the Fit but still embodies the " very big small car" idealism. These MPV's (multi-purpose vehicles) are very popular in Asia and Europe.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/ford-c-max-review-2012-ford-c-max-minivan-drive?redirect=no

Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Kevinmoose, I've somewhat amused by everyone advising a larger car. I think it's a subtle way of saying loading the Fit that way won't work. I have no problems putting our 12 and 7 year old in the back for a long trip, and they don't complain, but when it comes to multiple bikes and skis, that's what our Mazda5 is for. I'd be interested in how it turns out if you decide to load up the Fit.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
We (me, wife, 2 kids (aged 18 and 12) and dachshund) went on a 4.5hr long trip with 4 days worth of luggage for us all. This included of course the essentials along with extra pillows, and "we're bored" type of stuff for in the car and at the destination. I also took my 21.5" iMac on the trip which is rather large when the box is included. We do this trip every year (Thanksgiving) and hasn't been a problem the 2 times we've done it so far in the Fit. We've done the same thing for other trips as well (3.5 hours, weekend 2 hour outings), etc. We drive to Dallas (about an hour each way and then all around in the city) with us and the two kids, and plenty of room for shopping all day.

I also drive the fit daily with just me and one youngster. I would HATE to have a bigger car for the few times we take that trip--and others--especially since the Fit worked out so well as far as people room, luggage room and power. It was not a big deal.

The only thing I sort of "lust" after for the fit is a roof rack with luggage attachment. That would have freed up the interior space even more . But hey...we made it with minimal to no complaints and the fit (her name is Adele) took it like a champ.

I say, go Fit and eff it. For daily, it's perfect...for trips, it works!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:55 PM
So, I drove a 5 speed Fit Sport yesterday. I also drove a 5 speed Focus SE with Sport Equipment package. Yes, Focus, not Fiesta. While the Fiesta and Fit are technically in the same category, the Focus is actually the better comparison. Similar passenger room, similar luggage space...a bit wider, but we are a skinny family of bikers and runners so that isn't an issue.

So, here's my take. The Focus is the better car all around...but the Fit shines in Usable space. On the Highway, the Fit does feel like my old 89 Civic where the Focus feels better than my Escape. But, identically equipped to the Sport Fit, it is $4K more. The 0% financing and $1000 costco rebate make up for some of that.

So, the nuts and bolts are this. Compared to my 09 Escape, the only thing I lose in a Focus is cargo height and rear seat leg room. In the boot, the distance from floor to top of the seatback is actually 1" higher in the focus. Length and width of the cargo area are pretty much the same -less than an inch difference.

With the fit, the boot is a lot shorter, but higher. Cargo room is officially fairly close to the Focus but the Focus does use it better, with the seats up. The Focus AND Escape cannot compare to the mini Element cargo area once those magic seats are flipped though.

So...what to do? Naturally........I bought a Focus. Two things sealed the deal. Ford offered $2K more for my trade than Honda....allowing a better downpayment...and with 0% incentives plus this....it allowed me to upgrade to the SEL with a sunroof and leather for a monthly payment comparable to the Fit at 4.99%. Add to that a sweet deal on a car I can have Tuesday instead of waiting for a factory order....well, no brainer.

But the real dealbreaker....I bought a Mexican Ford.... instead of a Chinese Honda. I know Honda owns the plant and I'm sure that much like Mexican plants there is strict quality control, but I simply cannot support Chinese made products where I have a choice.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Well it sounds like you really did a lot of homework and made a reasonable and sound decision. Certainly made the numbers work in your favor and that extra 5K for the Focus was pretty effectively chiseled down.

The sunroof is really one option I wish the Fit had! Enjoy your new ride!!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 PM
sounds like you made a very good decision ! I was seriously considering the Focus Hatch also , but wound up getting the Fit Sport so cheaply ,that it was a no brainer. best of luck enjoy-

Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM
I have no problem fitting 3 kids, 7, 4 and 3 in the back of my Fit, and that included 1 regular carseat and one booster seat. Kids are quite comfortable. Room for luggage and 2 adults in front. No problemo.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by kevinmoose
But the real dealbreaker....I bought a Mexican Ford.... instead of a Chinese Honda. I know Honda owns the plant and I'm sure that much like Mexican plants there is strict quality control, but I simply cannot support Chinese made products where I have a choice.
This reminds me of the time a few years ago when my former girlfriend, who is Canadian, refused to pledge support for my U.S. walk-a-thon because of what George W. Bush was doing at the time as President. Hopefully this means the U.S. is earning back some credit in international eyes.

Anyway, congrats in your new purchase. Hope you'll stick around and offer insight (no pun intended) on how your Focus compares to the Fit.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:03 PM
As the product of a Canadian dad and an American mom (born and bred in Detroit) I can assure you I buy Can/Am first if I can

I wish I could have come back to Honda but they just didnt have what I wanted other than the Fit and it was too much of a compromise.

Loving the Focus 4 days in! Loving the stick shift, the mpgs, and the same space as the escape. My rep told me I M not alone flipping an escape for a focus and I can see why.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Loving the Focus 4 days in! Loving the stick shift, the mpgs, and the same space as the escape. My rep told me I M not alone flipping an escape for a focus and I can see why.
Glad to hear you're digging the new Focus. Certainly gotta be more fun than driving an Escape!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
My wife and I decided between the Focus and Fit. Here were the deciding factors for us.

I'm 6'2" and with the front seat all the way back, I didn't feel comfortable in the Focus. There's no way an adult could fit in the rear seat behind me, unless their legs were pinned in. At the Honda dealer, my wife put the driver seat all the way back and I was able to sit in back seat. Getting out of the Focus was a chore compared to the Fit. The Fit had an airy feel to it in the interior and the the Focus just felt more cramped. I asked the salesperson to put the seats down so we could check the cargo area. First he had to take the rear headrests off, then lift the bottom of the rear seats to drop the back seats. Even then it looked odd and convoluted. He could never get them to completely fold flat.

The Fit had superior cargo area. For us it was the practically of cargo space and how we fit in the car. The Focus drove nice and is a real nice car. It just didn't fit our needs.

Last edited by 2012FitFan; 02-03-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Depends on what you need it for. The Screw in mounts for the roof rack on the Focus were a big selling point for me (a la Mazda) and is something Honda should seriously consider on the Fit!

Its funny though - the Honda guy was a bit flattered I was cross shopping the Focus and not the Fiesta. The Fiesta is SO MUCH SMALLER than the fit INSIDE. The Focus and the Mazda 3 5-doors are the true cross shop competition based on interior room, etc.

I wonder how many others cross shopped these vs. a fit (and whatever they bought I think they won...all great cars)

The Seat folding system is typical Ford. Not making an excuse for it, just if you have owned Fords it won't surprise you. Every mfr has those little quirks (like how for years...any maybe still....the driver's side seatbacks on 2 door Hondas do not remember the recline you set them after you flip them forward for rear seat access). I am driving with the seats up 98% of the time so it doesn't bother me. But if you frequently move between people and Cargo those Magic seats are truly Magic, and they appear to have adopted a version of them on the new CRV.

Last edited by kevinmoose; 02-04-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Depends on what you need it for. The Screw in mounts for the roof rack on the Focus were a big selling point for me
I agree. It's what's works for you, so definitely no losers here.

We did look at the Fiesta as well, but very briefly. Like you said, there is no room in that Fiesta compared to the Fit. Enjoy your Focus!

Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 AM
As the product of a Canadian dad and an American mom (born and bred in Detroit) I can assure you I buy Can/Am first if I can

I wish I could have come back to Honda but they just didnt have what I wanted other than the Fit and it was too much of a compromise.

the focus is a decent car, but the Made in Mexico part would turn me away from buying ford.
plus also the rapid depreciation of ford and american vehicles.
The Fit is still made in Japan for the US...

also if you live in Canada, there is no 2012 fit sports at the dealers yet, only the base models. I bought my 2012 fit sport in California

Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats on the Focus purchase!
I test drove the 2012 Focus after I bought my Fit. $50 gift card test drive offer from Ford. I like that car a lot, sometimes I wished that I would have waited. Oh well...
I thought that all the US and Canada Focus are all made in Wayne, Michigan now? The Mexico plant that made the ZX3 and ZX5 are now producing Fusions.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:22 PM
You can always trade in your Fit for the 2012 focus
The 2012 is made in Wayne Michiigan i believe, previous years, Mexico.
not sure if the parts are made in mexico

Old 02-04-2012, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
True but I'm not willing to take the big first year hit on the Fit. And besides I have a mildly modified 1st gen Focus.

Quick Reply: Trading my Escape for Fit..couple of questions