2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Auto or Manual? New Fit Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:23 AM
Auto or Manual? New Fit Buyer

I am very seriously considering buying a new 2012 Fit for my wife. I have done a lot of internet research, read and watched video reviews, and have physically checked out and sat in one at an auto show. Also spent a few hours reading posts on this forum. As an urban grocery getter and occasional (< 100 miles) interstate tripper it fits our needs quite well. Before I do the actual test drive - I would buy the Sport model - could I get some feedback on the auto vs MT. I'm sure the wife would prefer the auto but I've seen enough reviews recommending only the manual as the auto affects the performance too much.
A poster on this forum even stated he sold his Fit simply because he couldn't stand the auto and would only buy another with the manual.
So.....?????

Old 01-23-2012, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PDXbiker
I am very seriously considering buying a new 2012 Fit for my wife. I have done a lot of internet research, read and watched video reviews, and have physically checked out and sat in one at an auto show. Also spent a few hours reading posts on this forum. As an urban grocery getter and occasional (< 100 miles) interstate tripper it fits our needs quite well. Before I do the actual test drive - I would buy the Sport model - could I get some feedback on the auto vs MT. I'm sure the wife would prefer the auto but I've seen enough reviews recommending only the manual as the auto affects the performance too much.
A poster on this forum even stated he sold his Fit simply because he couldn't stand the auto and would only buy another with the manual.
So.....?????
It is a grocery getter not a performance vehicle. Get an Auto for her. Better yet ask her which she prefers. At a little over 100hp the fit does not have performance in either Manual or auto. Mine hauls groceries every week and a weekly 150 mile hwy trip.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Wife prefer auto.... GET the auto! Auto Fit = Happy wife

Old 01-23-2012, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
I had an auto and eventually traded it on a manual. However, happy wife = happy life. Auto it up.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 AM
I just bought a 2012 Sport Fit A/T with upgrades (window tint, magnetbra, side protectors, rear bumper protector, liner for cargo area, rear seat covers, cargo tray, all weather mats, window deflectors, and more to come).

I'm single and probably would have purchased the M/T, but it was not available with the combos I wanted. That said, I am very, very happy with the A/T. If I had another person driving the car, then I would not even have considered the M/T.

In general, I believe M/Ts thrive better with a single driver; whereas, A/Ts are readily driven by everyone. Although a very minor point, I believe an A/T might be easier to sell, but who would want to sell this great car anyway -- except to buy another one!

You will enjoy the car no matter which T you choose.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
I might be one of the few in the position of having a fiance who prefers the MT over the AT. I think, though, if your wife will be the primary driver, and the AT is what she prefers, then the AT is probably what would work best all around. The car will still be fun to drive, and your wife will be happy. Not that the Honda navigation is amazing, but it does come with Bluetooth phone support, which comes in handy. I know, I know, there are better aftermarket solutions, but the factory stuff is already built in if you want it, and the controls are on the steering wheel.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
My 2011 auto sport fit has no problems keeping up with traffic. I prefer automatic for use
in daily traffic. The Sport automatic has shifter paddles and a semi-manual transmission
position for those who would rather control the shift points.

Clifton

Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Forget the wife. Buy the manual

Old 01-23-2012, 10:45 AM
If she's driving it, then she gets to pick. Pretty simple. For those uses, either would work. The MT would be more fun and probably get slightly better mileage. It also would involve a lot of gear rowing.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i ABSOLUTELY HATE the AT on the Fit. the paddle-like plasticy switches that spin with the steering wheel when turning is a joke too. they should've just put a lever type sport mode at minimum.

if you can, get the MT.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
It's a great car either way. We have a manual and my Mom has an auto...both Fit Sports. I would not want the auto, but I have to say that it shifts crisply and works great. She is happy with it despite it having less than half the hp of her previous cars.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i ABSOLUTELY HATE the AT on the Fit. the paddle-like plasticy switches that spin with the steering wheel when turning is a joke too. they should've just put a lever type sport mode at minimum.

if you can, get the MT.
But, do you like the auto on any car? I'm asking because I don't so I have to keep in mind that some people do. I have an F150 Supercrew 5.4 with an auto and it is total junk. Operates completely sporadically and is often not in the gear I would choose.

An auto can not see that you are about to go up a hill, doesn't know you are about to slow down for a red light, doesn't know you are waiting for an oportunity to pass, most don't even know if you are mid-turn. In short, auto's are always reactionary vs. a manual where you can be proactive.

Autos are easier for towing or sitting in heavy traffic.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 2010 AT Fit & am very happy with it. I like the paddle shifters and find them great for hills and mountain driving. The Fit does really well in the steep mountains here, as well as my old Toyota Corolla MT did & better than my more powerful Subaru Wagon (AT). I enjoy the feel of a manual but after surgery on my left foot several years ago, it hurts to consistently use a clutch. I usually get around 30 mpg in town and close to 40 on the highway. Even with an AT, the Fit is a fun car to drive.

Last edited by sooznd; 01-23-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Bottom line boils down to preference and primary driver. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I agree with "happy wife happy life", so I'm lucky the wife really wanted a manual as well! That said, either version is great here in Portland (if you didn't want to go the subaru route), but squeezing more power out of the manual is very nice. A whole second faster to 60 is kinda nice in an econo-box. And you're gonna love getting a bike in vertically behind the front seats or in the trunk. If your wife is the primary driver is she in traffic a lot? I'm up in the NE near tabor, but commute downtown and honestly, I'm not stuck in so much traffic that working the clutch becomes a chore...

Old 01-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks all for the input. I agree, as the wife will be the primary driver I will be getting the Sport auto. I'll have one in the driveway before the end of the month.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PDXbiker
Thanks all for the input. I agree, as the wife will be the primary driver I will be getting the Sport auto. I'll have one in the driveway before the end of the month.
Another plus of the auto is availability. You'll likely be able to get the color you want. The manuals are very scarce right now.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

if you can, get the MT.
I don't understand why you're trashing on the fact that the paddles spin with the steering wheel.
This is the same as like in F1 cars.

I'm definitely not saying that the Fit is a F1 car, but am saying that in a racing driving situation, your hands should be stuck at 3 and 9 and not be letting go of the wheel. If you're going hand over hand or shuffling your hand positions or driving with 1hand where you're not sure where on the wheel it is, this seems like a technique issue. Sure this is a regular car where lock-to-lock is more than a revolution, but you have to compensate and your hands should be glued to 3 and 9 and that's exactly where the paddles will be.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
get the MT if you know how to drive you can get 56 MPG on the highway and city

Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Orcshine101
get the MT if you know how to drive you can get 56 MPG on the highway and city

You must have the new Hybrid Fit!

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual? New Fit Buyer