2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Auto or Manual? New Fit Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
YAY! go buy a mustang 6MT please!
you'd fit right in there!

Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM
It just kills me when people act like driving a manual is a big deal.I also have a 2012 Fit sport A/T and I'm coming from a 600hp Kenne Bell supercharged
2011 Mustang 5.0 6spd manual

I've driven and raced both manual/auto for the past 30 years and I can tell you this little Fit A/T is just as much fun to run in the canyons as my Mustang.I just got back from the local mountains and as usual had a blast!!!

I don't know how the previous year Fit A/T performed but this 2012 is matched very well with the motor.The 4:56 gearing is perfect and I can manipulate this baby like a champ.

The computer will not over ride anything in sport mode and I've mastered every aspect of driving this car aggressive.

This talk of the manual being faster is hog wash pure and simple.I don't care what the rags say.From a roll I would not lose to a manual Fit in any type of race period.

You can not shift faster then a computer and with the auto you will not miss a shift.People need to realize that just because someone has a auto does not mean they can't drive a manual or have fun driving.

OP have fun with your Fit I know I am

Last edited by zilla8; 02-05-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:06 PM
umm i import vehicles from the US and sell them in Canada, the fit is an expensive car in Canada so i have sold quite a few.

anyhow, Mr go faster because of his red JDM badges and 32% tint..oh so cool.....shift that 5spd so you can be like Speed racer...VROOM VROOM

good day to you too

Old 02-04-2012, 02:11 PM
As long as it comes with Paddle Shift bro... Auto is cool...

Old 02-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Revtotheblue line, please don't speak for me, your assumptions are amusing to say the least.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
*zomg stahp the discussion close the thread*
*0mg nooo okay we have to keep it going!*
"zilla8 actually is insightful"
*LETS RACE BR0*

you guys serious?
everyone, get off your high horse superiority of a manual being so much better than an auto. ultimately in a fit, it WILL come down to whoever can manipulate the car properly and drive the car. The transmission choice won't affect you through a canyon, you're both going to be rockin third the entire time anyways.

some of us drive an auto, get the fuck over it. stop pushing the auto down just so you can feel better about yourself driving a manual. at the end of the day, all of us own a 100hp fwd economy car. if you really need to drive a manual to feel better about yourself and get approval from your "car enthusiast peers" then by all means, go for it.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Haha Rev it's on!!!! I'll still have my fit and she will be all broken in by then.

It's funny because when my Mustang brothers found out about the Fit they went nuts on the forums and got my thread removed .

I'm 48 years old and been at this stuff since my teens and I can Fit in just about anywhere

now no more of this tom foolery with you and Canuck.

Last edited by zilla8; 02-04-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
*LETS RACE BR0*

you guys serious?
everyone, get off your high horse superiority of a manual being so much better than an auto. ultimately in a fit, it WILL come down to whoever can manipulate the car properly and drive the car. The transmission choice won't affect you through a canyon, you're both going to be rockin third the entire time anyways.

some of us drive an auto, get the fuck over it. stop pushing the auto down just so you can feel better about yourself driving a manual. at the end of the day, all of us own a 100hp fwd economy car. if you really need to drive a manual to feel better about yourself and get approval from your "car enthusiast peers" then by all means, go for it.
Over the years I have noticed that most younger people prefer a M/T and most older people prefer A/T's, there are acceptations I'm sure....zing, zoom, zing, zoom go fast in an econo-box...yay!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
*LETS RACE BR0*

you guys serious?

LMAO well said

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zilla8
This talk of the manual being faster is hog wash pure and simple.I don't care what the rags say.From a roll I would not lose to a manual Fit in any type of race period.

You can not shift faster then a computer and with the auto you will not miss a shift.
I'm sorry, but this is just simply not true. I have absolutely nothing against the auto and around a race track it would all be driver. However, and this is a big HOWEVER, any automatic with a torque converter puts less power to the ground than a transmission with a clutch. This is why there are even kits to turn a powerglide into a clutch type transmission and why so many automakers are going to dry clutch auto's. The torque converter robs the car of power which makes it both slower and less efficient.

Does that matter for a commuter car...nope, not in the least. But, don't fool yourself into thinking that you can win a drag race against an equal car with a manual unless you find someone that isn't very good at working the clutch/shifter.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Geez... still at it... The beauty of freedom of choice and free will... let's leave it at that! Peace!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Geez... still at it... The beauty of freedom of choice and free will... let's leave it at that! Peace!
x1,000,000

Choose what you like and be happy. Either way, it's a great car!

Old 02-05-2012, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
x1,000,000

Choose what you like and be happy. Either way, it's a great car!
I totally agree with that. I'm not hating on the auto Fit...my Mom has a 2011 Sport Auto and it's a great car! I just don't like when people give completely false information.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
However, and this is a big HOWEVER, any automatic with a torque converter puts less power to the ground than a transmission with a clutch. This is why there are even kits to turn a powerglide into a clutch type transmission and why so many automakers are going to dry clutch auto's. The torque converter robs the car of power which makes it both slower and less efficient.
Honda Auto's have a Direct Couple torque converter (lockup), I'm not sure with the Fit's 5 speed AT what upper gears it lets lockup? The 4 speed AT in my CR-V let 3rd and 4th have lockup ability, giving the 4 speed 6 forward gear combination, one of the first things that the direct couple auto does when it needs to let the engine spool is uncouple, feels just like a downshift. Accelerate harder and then it will actually drop down a gear. When the torque converter locks up, it's just like shifting to a higher gear. Under most hard acceleration the torque converter is usually not locked up from what I can tell?

Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zilla8
It just kills me when people act like driving a manual is a big deal.I also have a 2012 Fit sport A/T and I'm coming from a 600hp Kenne Bell supercharged
2011 Mustang 5.0 6spd manual

I've driven and raced both manual/auto for the past 30 years and I can tell you this little Fit A/T is just as much fun to run in the canyons as my Mustang.I just got back from the local mountains and as usual had a blast!!!

I don't know how the previous year Fit A/T performed but this 2012 is matched very well with the motor.The 4:56 gearing is perfect and I can manipulate this baby like a champ.

The computer will not over ride anything in sport mode and I've mastered every aspect of driving this car aggressive.

You can not shift faster then a computer and with the auto you will not miss a shift.People need to realize that just because someone has a auto does not mean they can't drive a manual or have fun driving.

OP have fun with your Fit I know I am
um the autotragic fit runs a second slower qtr mile, iirc

Old 02-05-2012, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YouKantPimpInaKIA
Honda Auto's have a Direct Couple torque converter (lockup), I'm not sure with the Fit's 5 speed AT what upper gears it lets lockup? The 4 speed AT in my CR-V let 3rd and 4th have lockup ability, giving the 4 speed 6 forward gear combination, one of the first things that the direct couple auto does when it needs to let the engine spool is uncouple, feels just like a downshift. Accelerate harder and then it will actually drop down a gear. When the torque converter locks up, it's just like shifting to a higher gear. Under most hard acceleration the torque converter is usually not locked up from what I can tell?
well, all autos since the 70's have torque converter lockouts. But until recently this was just at highway speeds. The 97 Honda I had locked its torque converter around 55mph.

The Fit, after it reaches some temp (engine cold light goes off?), may lockout its torque converter in 3rd, 4th, 5th. This occurs under light acceleration or constant speed. Greater acceleration (throttle) unlocks the torque converter. It also unlocks before shifting.

At some point under hard (WOT) acceleration (around 5300RPM?) at about the same time vtec opens up, the torque converter locks. Not sure what gears this applies to.

All of this contributes to a somewhat busy feel if you're used to 3 or 4 speed slushboxes with only highway speed torque converter locks, or doing it yourself. Knowing what and why it's doing it might remove some of the superstition surrounding automatic transmissions. This is purely from observation, I don't know if they've documented this anywhere for consumers.

I know if I were rowing my own, I'd not shift nearly as often nor as efficiently. Of course drive train losses are much higher in autos, but unless you're really good at shifting (does the Fit tolerate no-lift shifts?) a lazy person with an auto will do the 1/4 mile faster than a neophyte shifter.

edit:
Apparently it does tolerate no lift shifts...

Don't try this at home kids. Or with your cell phone stuck in your crotch.

Last edited by Steve244; 02-05-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Discussing auto vs manual is like discussing politics or religion.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Vash
i was so used to driving manual in all my previous cars,i almost didn't know what to do when i test drove an automatic...

hell the dealership guy even thought i was crazy because i cut off the car and couldn't figure out how to get the key out and he was like "you need to put the car in park"....

and manuals are supposed to be more complicated to drive.. yeah right... you can atleast cut the car off anytime you want!!!

my next car will defintily be an SUV thats an automatic... but to me personally.. if you are a car enthusiast... you gotta have a manual to truly enjoy the feel of the car.... so i went with a manual.. and it might have been one of the greatest decisions i ever made in my life.... keeps assholes from wanting to drive your car.. and the ones that can drive your car.. are atleast talented enough to drive a manual transmission.

don't let these automatic fanboys trick you... when your driving a manual transmission you are in an very elite and EXCLUSIVE rank of car drivers.
Maybe within your household and circle of friends, driving a manual is a big deal. Everyone I know learned to drive stick at a young age, my mom taught me at 12 years old. You make it sound like your an F-22 fighter pilot with that " ELITE AND EXCLUSIVE RANK " talk.

Last edited by matt1357; 02-05-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357
Maybe within your household and circle of friends, driving a manual is a big deal. Everyone I know learned to drive stick at a young age, my mom taught me at 12 years old. You make it sound like your an F-22 fighter pilot with that " ELITE AND EXCLUSIVE RANK " talk.
Yeah what is the big deal?? I learned on an automatic, because that was the car we owned at the time (Dad's company Chrysler). I learned how to drive a manual in high school on a boyfriend's car
I made sure my kids learned to drive on a car with a manual transmission, that way they would know how to drive any car.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Timeout!

FIRE... FIRE... Any firefighters out there?

Originally Posted by PDXbiker
Thanks all for the input. I agree, as the wife will be the primary driver I will be getting the Sport auto. I'll have one in the driveway before the end of the month.
The OP just wanted our opinions based on the cars we drive, not our righteous attitudes on life...
It's past the end of the month already. Chances are he already has a Fit in the driveway...

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual? New Fit Buyer