2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Auto or Manual? New Fit Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
You must have the new Hybrid Fit!
Or is a hypermiler blocking traffic while he's coasting with his car turned off.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Orcshine101
get the MT, if you know how to drive in the most boring of ways, you can get 56 MPG on the highway and city
Fixed that for you.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
I wish I had the manual 5% of the time but 95% of the time am glad I have the auto, which was partially due to the wife.

The A/T is pretty cool and I hope it doesn't grenade down the road.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
I would test drive both manual and A/T and see what the wife likes best.I just bought a 2012 sport with A/T and love it.

My previous car was a 600hp supercharged 2011 Mustang with 6spd manual
The Mustang guys get all caught up in the manual vs Auto deal and I'm seeing it here too.

I can tell you on the 2012 Fit the A/T is matched very well to the motor and after owning my Fit for a month,I could run with a stock manual Fit in any situation and the difference would be the driver.

Hills and passing are no problem in sport mode since you can drop a gear if you need to just like a manual.It will hold the gear untill you uphift and run right up to redline if you like.

I get so tired of people thinking driving a manual is the only way to have fun in any type of car.I'm sure your wife will enjoy the auto Fit and I bet you will too.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zilla8
I can tell you on the 2012 Fit the A/T is matched very well to the motor and after owning my Fit for a month, I could run with a stock manual Fit in any situation and the difference would be the driver.

I get so tired of people thinking driving a manual is the only way to have fun in any type of car.
There you go! Well put.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:22 AM
Get what ever your wife prefers. Test drive both of course.
Then again, standard transmissions are the way to go if you enjoy driving as much as I do.

But for a daily commuter/ grocery getter, go with the Auto. Can't be that bad.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by PDXbiker
I am very seriously considering buying a new 2012 Fit for my wife. I have done a lot of internet research, read and watched video reviews, and have physically checked out and sat in one at an auto show. Also spent a few hours reading posts on this forum. As an urban grocery getter and occasional (< 100 miles) interstate tripper it fits our needs quite well. Before I do the actual test drive - I would buy the Sport model - could I get some feedback on the auto vs MT. I'm sure the wife would prefer the auto but I've seen enough reviews recommending only the manual as the auto affects the performance too much.
A poster on this forum even stated he sold his Fit simply because he couldn't stand the auto and would only buy another with the manual.
So.....?????
I have had both in my Fits, and much prefer the auto.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
I can never see me owning an a/t.... Ever!

Old 01-24-2012, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
It feels like a great honor to shift gears in my Fit each and every day I drive it. Honda's transmission is THAT GOOD! Best I've ever used.

If you can't sell her on it .... then it's an okay A/T. I didn't like it --- but to be fair, I hate nearly all automatic transmissions.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
From what I've read, there's no wrong choice here. It's personal preference or what works better for the individual.

I prefer the A/T because, I drive in metro Atlanta traffic during rush hour. I wasn't interested in shifting gears in those conditions. I find the A/T to be matched up real well with the engine. I'm very pleased.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
From what I've read, there's no wrong choice here. It's personal preference or what works better for the individual.

I prefer the A/T because, I drive in metro Atlanta traffic during rush hour. I wasn't interested in shifting gears in those conditions. I find the A/T to be matched up real well with the engine. I'm very pleased.
kaphinga on here has 30 stop signs/lights between her home and daily commute to work in downtown in Atlanta and wouldn't consider an auto. She prefers the enjoyment of rowing through the gears all 30 times. Just proving that it's all a matter of opinion.

PS. Keep an eye on the atlanta section and meet up with us at our next get together.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
kaphinga on here has 30 stop signs/lights between her home and daily commute to work in downtown in Atlanta and wouldn't consider an auto. She prefers the enjoyment of rowing through the gears all 30 times. Just proving that it's all a matter of opinion.

PS. Keep an eye on the atlanta section and meet up with us at our next get together.
Perfect example. ^^^ I drive from NW GA into Buckhead. For me, stick wouldn't be enjoyable. I'll check out the Atlanta section. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2012, 03:32 PM
If its your wife who's going to use it most of the time then I suggest you to get A/T instead.

M/T - Performance

A/T - Comfort

I would choose m/t anytime, any day! haha, too bad its not available here.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by larrymcewin
It feels like a great honor to shift gears in my Fit each and every day I drive it. Honda's transmission is THAT GOOD! Best I've ever used.

If you can't sell her on it .... then it's an okay A/T. I didn't like it --- but to be fair, I hate nearly all automatic transmissions.
After owning a '97 civic with the solid linkage between the shifter and trans, I can say the fit is not as nice as that (and the former had almost 190,000 miles on it). Except for 3rd, where the syncro was going, you could slip in and out of any gear without using the clutch. That said, out of the cars I test drove (and others I have driven) the MT fit does have one of the nicer transmitions arround. Just wish it had a 6th or higher 5th.

Back on topic, if its for the wife, she should get to decide, take her along and have her do the test drives.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
I would mire in L.A. traffic everyday and still I would much prefer my MT than a snooze fest AT any day. In stop and go bumper to bumper, I find you have to switch from the gas to brake pedal a lot more often with the AT, whereas the MT you can leave it in gear to engine brake. And still, I don't find using the clutch and shifter to be a con whatsoever in traffic conditions; it only makes it more fun.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
I test drove the AT before getting the MT. I wasn't impressed highly with the AT, but if I had to travel in busy traffic every day I would never get a MT of any make or model of car. I'm glad I rarely travel through Boston, or NY.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I would mire in L.A. traffic everyday and still I would much prefer my MT than a snooze fest AT any day. In stop and go bumper to bumper, I find you have to switch from the gas to brake pedal a lot more often with the AT, whereas the MT you can leave it in gear to engine brake. And still, I don't find using the clutch and shifter to be a con whatsoever in traffic conditions; it only makes it more fun.
Some people and on some days just want to just actually get to their destination, especially say in a commute after a long day at work. Given the choice, you'd even rather just hand the keys over and have someone chauffeur you.

Last edited by raytseng; 01-31-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Some people and on some days just want to just actually get to their destination, especially say in a commute after a long day at work. Given the choice, you'd even rather just hand the keys over and have someone chauffeur you.
Of course. But that's not me. As an auto and driving enthusiast I value an involving, fun-to-drive car such as the Fit. With an MT even more so.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 PM
I'll vote for Auto since you have the wife in the equation.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
I had a manual and currently have an auto. My thoughts:

I absolutely loved the manual, especially when I had the RevoTech short shifter. Made the car very fun to drive, shifts were smooth, and the clutch was easy. I wanted to get back into a manual, but I couldn't find any so I ended up with an auto. I expected the auto to be completely horrible, but it isn't at all. Shifts are smooth and the auto hasn't made very many dumb decisions on what gear to be in (yet... I've had the car for four days). In sport using the paddle shifters, you can pretty much control the car just as well as you would a manual. It's pretty instant with next to no lag, and the car will hold high rpm's. Plus, with how slow the Fit is anyways, having a DD that's an auto is really convenient. If you do go to a hilly area or down a canyon, throwing the car in sport and using the paddle shifters allows it to compose itself well.

Overall, I'd say you and your wife test drive both and see how it goes. I don't think having an auto over a manual in a Fit is much of a sacrifice.

Quick Reply: Auto or Manual? New Fit Buyer