2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Buying a 2009 Fit [Sport] - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Buying a 2009 Fit [Sport] - advice?

My Protege5 was (I assume) totalled by an old lady on Friday. "I'm glad I had a car around me," as someone put it.

So I'm thinking of buying a Fit, maybe a 2009. It probably will be an automatic - I know, I know.

Advice? Is the "Sport" upgrade worth it? How can I identify a Sport - many dealers advertise their Fit as a "Sport" when it really is not.

I'd like a car almost as reliable as my '99 Accord (also totalled at a stop light), but please, dear God, not as boring.

What else to look for (or watch out for) when buying a used Fit? What's a great option that only some cars have?

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zola84
My Protege5 was (I assume) totalled by an old lady on Friday. "I'm glad I had a car around me," as someone put it.

So I'm thinking of buying a Fit, maybe a 2009. It probably will be an automatic - I know, I know.

Advice? Is the "Sport" upgrade worth it? How can I identify a Sport - many dealers advertise their Fit as a "Sport" when it really is not.

I'd like a car almost as reliable as my '99 Accord (also totalled at a stop light), but please, dear God, not as boring.

What else to look for (or watch out for) when buying a used Fit? What's a great option that only some cars have?

Thanks.
If you claim that they are falsely advertising Base trims as Sport... one would assume you know what to look for then.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM

Thanks.
IMO, the sport is worth in for the 09 year. Cruise control is worth it to me, and I like the paddles, though they are a gimmick at best.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
I will add that the sport in '09 gives you a rear sway bar and better sound system.

As to what to watch for...Fit's just don't seem to have any particular problem. Just look for the usual signs of abuse and see if you can find one with maintenance records.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
If you claim that they are falsely advertising Base trims as Sport... one would assume you know what to look for then.
Sometimes the headline for a craigslist ad will say "Honda Fit Sport," but then the body of the (dealer) ad does not mention "Sport." I'd like to know what I'm looking for.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
The sport will have darker interior, cruise control, spoiler, lower front bumper, fog lights and side skirts.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
For the 2009 & 2010 model the upgrade to Sport was worth it to me mainly for the cruise control. I do like the spoiler and fog lights & paddle shifters, but could care less about the side skirts and bumper. The Sport also has a slightly better sound system & keyless entry/security system. Not sure whether that year's base model had the ipod connection in the glove box.

Last edited by sooznd; 01-22-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Sometimes the headline for a craigslist ad will say "Honda Fit Sport," but then the body of the (dealer) ad does not mention "Sport." I'd like to know what I'm looking for.
I'm not a big fan of Craigslist, and I'll leave it at that.

All you have to do is Google the Fit, look for Honda's site for certified pre-owne cars... and it'll tell you what the trim level has. On top of that, the site will have various pictures to identify the differences.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=honda+fit+2009

Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I'm not a big fan of Craigslist, and I'll leave it at that.

All you have to do is Google the Fit, look for Honda's site for certified pre-owne cars... and it'll tell you what the trim level has. On top of that, the site will have various pictures to identify the differences.

Let me google that for you
Okay - how should I go about searching for a used car? Particularly for private (non-dealer) purchases, what other venues do you recommend?

Thanks.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Oh no, I never meant to make you think I want you to shop any specific way. The fact is, I've never bought a car prior to this Fit, and I bought it brand spanking new... to make matters worse, I didn't haggle the price at all.

You shop however you feel works for you.

I did however use cars.com to find reviews and inventory listings... the Fit I bought was listed on cars.com less than 24 hours before I found it. It wasn't even in the dealer's computers. I used Edmunds and various other sites for more info also. And yes, cars.com does have used car listings.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
I'd also check autotrader.com I find that it at least isn't full of scammers. The few times I've tried to make craigslist purchases I was dealing with obvious scammers. Many don't even use a picture of the actual vehicle.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Fit Base:

Fit Sport

I didn't like the rims on the base so it was worth it to me.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by adolan21
Fit Base:

Fit Sport

I didn't like the rims on the base so it was worth it to me.
Awesomeness. Thanks - that makes the difference really clear.

It's just ... the thunk. For once, I'd like to own a car with a good thunk to its doors. Sigh.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:56 AM
It's just ... the thunk. For once, I'd like to own a car with a good thunk to its doors. Sigh.
I've got some bad news...

Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by malraux
I've got some bad news...

Yea, it's bit more like the sound of a screen door slamming. Quite a noticeable difference in sound going from my BMW 740 to my fit. Honestly it was a little Unnerving just how thin and light the Fit doors are.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
The easiest ways to spot a Sport are the spoiler, fog lamps, and side mirrors that match the color of the body.

Floor mats were not standard, so look for those perhaps.

As already stated, look for maintenance records. Has the oil been changed regularly? How worn are the tires? Has the transmission oil been changed yet (it's probably due by now)? Pop the air filter out and have a look- is it mostly white, or is it filthy? If it's filthy, then maybe it hasn't been serviced regularly by a professional.

Use both cars.com and autotrader.com. Search in the largest radius you're willing to travel to buy a car. Email every dealer that has a car you might be interested in, and ask for "your best out-the-door quote". See who has the most attractive offers. Notice which ones come down a lot right away from the price on their website. When you have one you think you would be happy with and with a price you like, make a counter-offer in this form: "If you can do $X out-the-door, I'll give you a deposit over the phone today." Of course make sure you ask any questions ahead of time, like has it been smoked in, etc. Also keep in mind that putting down a deposit does not write anything in stone- most dealers won't even run a transaction on your credit card. If you show up and they've misrepresented the car in any way, you shouldn't have any trouble walking away from it without losing a deposit.

The longer you can wait, the better, so you can wait for the right deal to come along, and to see which dealers are lowering their prices over time.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Yes the thunk is definitely different from German cars but remember you also get more in return and you're paying less. I got my 2009 Fit Sport with 40K miles on it for $13.8K over Labor Day weekend. It was Certified Preowned too. Now I bet you can get one for lower miles for mid 13K just keep looking and BE WILLING TO WALK AWAY. That is key!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I got my 2012 Fit Sport A/T for $16,750, but that did include other costs like taxes, license, extended warranty (I know, I know), various options. If taken care of, they are a great, fun car that you will really enjoy for a long time.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:54 AM
I just bought a '09 Fit Sport with Navi a month ago. It has 44K on it and I enjoy it very much.

One thing I would chime in, is not to buy one with the Navi unit. The price is WAY to high for a outdated GPS and radio.

The Navi head unit doesn't include Bluetooth, XM and DVD.

You can find several aftermarket Navi units on eBay that have the options listed above at a lot cheaper.

The Navi package option does include the Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) System and that is nice but debated a lot in this forum.

Schwimm

Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM
After months of researching and test driving many many small cars we decided that a used 2nd gen Fit sport MT would be perfect for us. We really thought we could get a used one in the low $ teens, but the only ones in our area had a bazillion miles or reconstructed / branded titles. We were unrealistic about the price range and didn't realize how strong the used car market is right now. Small reliable used cars like the Fit command around 30% more than they used to, since the crappy economy is making more people hang on to their cars.

Historically, this is the only time where buying a used car might not make as much economic sense. In the end we decided to just spend a tad more for a brand new one so we could get the MT in our color choice, have that factory warranty, and better financing. I don't know what the used car market is like in your area, but buying new is something to consider if you're gonna keep it for a long time.

Last edited by phrancis; 01-23-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2009 Fit [Sport] - advice?