2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Maybe I Should Get the Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
But isn't that the overseas model of the Fit? Isn't the front end smaller than the American version? Would the end result be any different?

Old 01-25-2012, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by calrose rice
But isn't that the overseas model of the Fit? Isn't the front end smaller than the American version? Would the end result be any different?
Why do you want a different result? I think you're making the assumption that the end result is bad. The ratings for this car is good not bad.

The car is supposed to dissipate the force to save the driver, so you need to look inside the car and evaluate what happened to the driver, not the car.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by raytseng
Why do you want a different result? I think you're making the assumption that the end result is bad. The ratings for this car is good not bad.

The car is supposed to dissipate the force to save the driver, so you need to look inside the car and evaluate what happened to the driver, not the car.
FWIW IIHS news release

Honda Accord versus Fit: The structure of the Accord held up well in the crash test into the Fit, and all except one measure of injury likelihood recorded on the driver dummy's head, neck, chest, and both legs were good. In contrast, a number of injury measures on the dummy in the Fit were less than good. Forces on the left lower leg and right upper leg were in the marginal range, while the measure on the right tibia was poor. These indicate a high risk of leg injury in a real-world crash of similar severity. In addition, the dummy's head struck the steering wheel through the airbag. Intrusion into the Fit's occupant compartment was extensive. Overall, this minicar's rating is poor in the front-to-front crash, despite its good crashworthiness rating based on the Institute's frontal offset test into a deformable barrier. The Accord earns good ratings for performance in both tests.
Intrusion into the cabin is bad, and there's a good chance of getting at least one broken leg. This is the IIHS's analysis of their test (which is what the video is from. Its more than just looking at how damaged the outside is.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
FWIW IIHS news release

Intrusion into the cabin is bad, and there's a good chance of getting at least one broken leg. This is the IIHS's analysis of their test (which is what the video is from. Its more than just looking at how damaged the outside is.
One of the execs for FoMoCo was quoted in saying that other cars were the crumple zones for Excursions. He took a lot of flak for that comment... But it's true. You can only engineer so much crash protection in any vehicle without breaking the bank. And when going up against a much heavier vehicle the laws of physics simply take over. Still, given it's b-segment size, the Fit isn't "unsafe". You want safe? Drive an M1 tank or wear shin guards and a helmet while driving your Fit.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
FWIW IIHS news release

touche, i stand corrected. nice find on the report

Last edited by raytseng; 01-25-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by calrose rice
Usually Japanese and overseas models don't have giant bumper bars like US models do. I don't think this would change crash results in anything that would crumple the front end though (as far as speed is concerned). I think the bumper bars are more for low speed collisions.

I would rather replace my bumper than bend the unibody in a low speed accident, I wish we didn't have them at all.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng

I'm not really making any assumptions and understand that the safety ratings are good for this car. It was one of the things I looked for when I was at the dealer. I'm merely curious and would like to see the damage of both models of the FIT.