2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How many new owners did the JD Power survey?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 AM
How many new owners did the JD Power survey?

Just got the survey in the mail and I want to fill it out with glowing reviews of my new Fit, but I'm curious about the nebulous language in the privacy statement. They ask a lot of personal info and I don't want a bunch of junk mail.

J.D. Power and Associates

Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 AM
5 Year Member
They sent me a survey too. I was thinking of just not answering the personal questions. The ones about the car seem to all be either what went wrong or what you don't like...I couldn't really think of anything!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 AM
As a "motor vehicle enthusiast", I feel it is my duty to submit JD Power and Honda surveys to state my opinions on the vehicle in regards to what is great and what is not. However, I have never received a long-term survey, which should be more important than the initial quality/reliability studies.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by afreespirit
They sent me a survey too. I was thinking of just not answering the personal questions. The ones about the car seem to all be either what went wrong or what you don't like...I couldn't really think of anything!
Agreed, I left out my age, income, and phone number. I don't want their database getting hacked and then have some punk open a bunch of credit cards in my name!

I gave glowing reviews as far as quality and being mechanically sound. Although I did say that I wish it had rear discs, a stronger horn, and a 6th or taller final gear to keep up with korean competition. Ok, that would up the price maybe a few hundred $, but come on... A louder horn shouldn't be that big of a deal!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by mhadden
As a "motor vehicle enthusiast", I feel it is my duty to submit JD Power and Honda surveys to state my opinions on the vehicle in regards to what is great and what is not. However, I have never received a long-term survey, which should be more important than the initial quality/reliability studies.
Agreed. As someone who majored in Car Design, I felt it was my duty to give my input as well. I also agree that the long term reliability surveys that consumer reports does is a more accurate indication of quality! That's why I'm a little suspect of all these JD Power glowing reviews of "initial quality" for many new korean and domestic cars. I bought the Fit because I knew the Prelude SH sitting next to it gave me 16 years of fun and reliable driving. I'd like to see how well some of these newer cars with awesome "initial quality" hold up after 16 years of daily driving...

Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline
I did the survey on a 1998 Plymouth Neon Expresso DOHC 5 Speed when I got it new back in that year, never got any other JD Power survey after that.

That was a neat car back in the day, sunroof, CD, power windows, alloys, 4 wheel discs, I actually got compliments on it all the time for it being the nicest neon people had seen, unfortunately problem after problem (transmission syncros failing at 4k, driver/passenger glass getting scratched from stuck rollers, paint fogging and peeling, sunroof gearing stripping, and rattles and creeks galore) the car was given back at lease end with 25k miles and a hand full of non user caused problems. Lets just say I've never had a car in for so many warranty claims in under 15k miles ever. The VW GTI was bad but not that bad. Chrysler put a bad taste in my mouth
LOL! I bought a 96 Intrepid because I liked the design and read that American cars have caught up with Japanese quality and reliability. It was great the first 2 years and then every little thing started breaking down. Blown engine, slipping trans, 3 tie rod replacements, failed steering rack, AC died... It was the biggest money pit of my life!! I'm never buying a Dodge again! I promptly traded it for my Prelude before it lost any more value. I'm still driving that prelude to this day... (when I'm not driving the new Fit)

Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I got one and filled it out. My only complaint was about the thin, delicate paint job.

Forgot about about the weak horn and 6th gear suggestions.

Last edited by GTRPLYR; 01-19-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
I agree, how useful can these initial quality surveys be? I have only had the car 5 weeks. It would have to be very poorly built to go wrong or not seem ok in that amount of time. Still, I would say this survey does have some value, as long as its limits are recognized. I know I looked at this survey when I was deciding on the Fit.