2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Free oil change for 2 yrs or follow MM

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Free oil change for 2 yrs or follow MM

Just got my 2012 Fit last week. The place I got the car from offered 2 years or 8 free oil changes whichever comes first.

Should I follow MM telling when to change the oil or take advantage of the offered?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Unless you do a lot of driving, I doubt you will reach 8 oil changes. If it really is free, might as well take advantage of it and change at like, say 25% oil life (probably around every 5000 miles) for 2 years. Or you can just wait to the standard 15% anyways. I use full synthetic and wait until 0% like a boss lol.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nawamin
Just got my 2012 Fit last week. The place I got the car from offered 2 years or 8 free oil changes whichever comes first.

Should I follow MM telling when to change the oil or take advantage of the offered?
Remember the owner's manual says to wait for the MM (or 1year) for the first oil change as it's special "break-in" oil. Cue heated break-in oil discussion (search if you want to see it)...

My personal view is that instruction was a combo of factors. Really I'd suspect maybe around 5k miles is enough for the real break-in so that's the real restriction. Then the rest of that first interval is just to be frugal as the oil is still good. If you wanted to switch to a different oil spec (like 0w-20syn, then you'd get the benefit of changing early), if you were changing to the same spec oil, then I wouldn't bother.

But anyway, regardless of what you want to do, I'd say you go do 1 oil change first, then you can re-evaluate how much of a hassle it was, and go from there. Like if they start giving you a hard time about adding on tire rotations, or this or that and the other thing (cabin air filter, new wiper blades, etc. etc. etc.).

Remember this is maintenance, which is a "chore" and gets old quick.
Think over if you really want to do it if it's not necessary? You got to make an appointment and drop off your car or wait there for at least an hour or so-if they're fast.

If your dentist said you can come in for extra teeth cleanings, do you do it?
Or everyone has the option to take a shower every hour on the hour, do you do that?

Last edited by raytseng; 01-18-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Leave the break in oil at least 5k miles, then take full advantage of all 8 oil changes regardless of mileage and MM as long as the dealership isn't a huge PITA.

That means after break-in change the oil every 2 months or so.

That's what i'd do anyway haha. Unnecessary? Yes.

Just be prepared to fend off service advisors as they try to sell you stuff when you go. That's the real reason they want you to come in the first place, the oil change is just a carrot.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm going to buy a Fit soon. So I'm not up on all the Fit talk yet.

I don't get the deal here.?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:38 PM
These are the exact words from the dealer I bought my Fit (dealer name removed)

------

Every New or Used vehicle purchased from XXXXXX is covered by the XXXXXX Auto Care Program

2 Years or 8 Total No Charge Oil Changes

Including an oil and filter change, chassis lube service and a multi-point vehicle inspection!

Auto Care for ANY New or Used vehicle - including Synthetic Oil, Diesel vehicles and Commercial Trucks!

It's quick and easy. Just pull into any one of our XXXXXX Express Service lanes - no appointment necessary.

For Your Convenience - the XXXXXX Honda Service Department has extended hours:

Service Hours: Monday - Thursday 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM; Friday 7:00 AM to 7:30 PM; Saturday 8:00 to 5:00PM

------

Majority says 5K - 7K then MM. Few of my coworkers were saying they are pretty quick almost in-and-out during mid week. I guess I will try it and go from there.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM
I don't understand everyone's beef with "advisors suggesting services". If your car says "A12" you NEED to change oil, rotate tires, and do air filters. Don't do this at the dealership it you don't want to, but you still need to do it. It keeps your vehicle running, tires wearing, and mechanical things working like they should.

I see alot of people decline "B" services. That is ok if you keep a car for 2 years, but if you are in for the 100k+ mile long haul, then you need to do one every once in awhile. You can really tell a difference on the ~130k mile cars that have kept up with dealership recommendations and ones that Havnt. Normally, windows roll down slower, wind noise, squeaks or whatever. I hopped in a 180k mile 07 mdx the other day. I had 0 clue it had that kind of milage on it because on the test drive, it felt like a brand new car. I went to reset the MM and was like HOLY COW. Look back in his maintenance history, every single thing we suggested was done every time. No questions. That is why is almost 200k mile car feels brand new.

Now, if it were me, I'd buy what we use (3m wet spray silicone) and do this yourself and save alot of money.... But it still needs to be done. Just like tire rotation, trans fluid drain&fills, and air filters. Do these yourself and save alot of money, just do them, don't skip. So if advisor comes back and says "you need ***" say "ok, thanks" and go home and do it.O

Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by eurobeaner
I don't understand everyone's beef with "advisors suggesting services".
BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO SPEND $100 ON A FUCKING CABIN AIR FILTER.

BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE MY AIR FILTER AT 5K MILES.

You see, it's not so much the legitimate guys that suggest services based on mileage that bother me. It's the ones that are obviously trying to take advantage of people that do.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Again, if your car is telling you to do it, do it. You obviously didn't read the rest. I'm not telling you to pay the dealer to do it. Just say ok, and do it yourself. I'm about 98% sure your car won't ask for an oil change every 5k, let alone an air filter. I normally see about 20k on the acuras between air filter changes. Buy them from wherever, change them when asked, save money. Don't be stupid and just go "durr dee I don't wanna pay *%$))$ for them to pop in an air filter" and then never do it.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Another story. On a TSX, guy came in.... Customer states oil light comes on intermittent. Pulled the dipstick, not touching. I'm like, Uhh, did you check your oil level? "no" ok. Well, you are burning oil. Customer ask "how can I be burning oil, I have 90k on my Acura, its an Acura, it's suppose to be reliable blablablabla". I look back at his history. He goes anywhere from 15-18k between oil changes. He's had 5 oil changes since car was new. We ask if he's taken it anywhere else other than us. Nope. Now his car burns 1quart every thousand miles and wants us to goodwill it. Are you fucking kidding me!? How hard is it for people to just maintain a vehicle like it should be? Do what it says, when it says it. Wherever you choose, or yourself for that matter. Who gives a shit. Just make sure you do it. Thats all I'm saying.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'd avoid the dealer, but that's just me.

Most deals like this aren't really free. They're hoping to find things to fix, or simply make them up and gouge you.

The free LMS recall was a nightmare. Dealer suggested close to $400 of unnecessary service (I said no), trim damaged, and return trip to dealer. Ugg.

Last edited by hyperfit; 01-19-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Remember the owner's manual says to wait for the MM (or 1year) for the first oil change as it's special "break-in" oil.
I wondered about the first oil change. Thanks for posting this information.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Of course you can always ask- hey, I don't think I'll need eight oil changes in two years, can we extend that to four or six years?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eurobeaner
On a TSX, guy came in.... Customer states oil light comes on intermittent. Pulled the dipstick, not touching. I'm like, Uhh, did you check your oil level? "no" ok. Well, you are burning oil. Customer ask "how can I be burning oil, I have 90k on my Acura, its an Acura, it's suppose to be reliable blablablabla". I look back at his history. He goes anywhere from 15-18k between oil changes. He's had 5 oil changes since car was new. We ask if he's taken it anywhere else other than us. Nope. Now his car burns 1quart every thousand miles and wants us to goodwill it. Are you fucking kidding me!?
What year was this TSX? From what I hear, oil-burning TSXs aren't too uncommon.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
What year was this TSX? From what I hear, oil-burning TSXs aren't too uncommon.
It was an 06-08.... And yes, oil burning and chain stretching CAN be issues, but we honestly only see it on vehicles that go past the mm. On the k24's, you REALLY need to change the oil when it says so. We've had numerous traveling salesman type guys come to us 3 quarts low on oil and 10k over an oil change. "I didn't have time". Come on. 30 minutes to keep your engine running. Not that hard.

MDX's also have vtec pressure problems when they go way over oil changes. You'd be surprised how many people come in with the car saying "4531 miles past due A1". I mean for real? Most cars already go 7k before it gets to 15%, so they easily go 12-15k between oil changes. These are the same people that come in, decline every sub service, then threaten to call the bbb because they have a rear diff noise, or transmission shifting weird that we wont goodwill warranty. Pull the plug on them and the fluid is black and smells horrid. I wonder why.... Duh

Last edited by eurobeaner; 01-19-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
I wondered about the first oil change. Thanks for posting this information.
what exactly people want to do on their 1st oil change and whether this break-in oil matters is a hot debate topic-so the answer is not set in stone. Let's not revisit it here, you can look below to the related threads or search if you want to see people's opinions.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
what exactly people want to do on their 1st oil change and whether this break-in oil matters is a hot debate topic-so the answer is not set in stone. Let's not revisit it here, you can look below to the related threads or search if you want to see people's opinions.
I was just thanking you for the information you posted. I hope my reply wasn't heated?

I just want as much information as possible about my Fit. Thanks again!