2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2012 AT for the Highway Not MT

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
I've been lurking here since before I bought my Fit, roughly Oct. 2007 is when I started to research. My how things have changed.

Granted it wasn't full of geniuses then either, but it didn't seem so ... retarded. Plenty of beat to death or easily researched exhaust, springs and wheels questions but the general sense of:

Wasn't nearly as prevalent.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
It's so sad. I thought the "new" gd owners were bad but some of the GE owners make me want to strangle animals
Would that make you feel better?

Old 02-11-2012, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357
Would that make you feel better?
No but it would take care if this raccoon problem weve developed with the unusually warm winter this year. Maybe the coldsnap tonight will help

Old 02-11-2012, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
No but it would take care if this raccoon problem weve developed with the unusually warm winter this year. Maybe the coldsnap tonight will help
No... I think its the fact they keep getting run over before they freeze to death.

Speaking of cold snaps... I have to do my oil change, in an unheated garage. How the F do people do oil changes in winter without freezing their ass off?!?

Old 02-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
No... I think its the fact they keep getting run over before they freeze to death.

Speaking of cold snaps... I have to do my oil change, in an unheated garage. How the F do people do oil changes in winter without freezing their ass off?!?
Time's like this I'm glad it's a Fit that I'm working on, which is generally a pleasure to change the oil, so when it comes to winter it's not too bad

I'll tell you what I don't like doing the oil on no matter the year, a freaking Nissan Frontier, I wanna strangle the designers who decided to put the filter where it is. I do that one once a year though and always do it around the summer, it can screw itself if it think's I'm gonna be out there busting knuckles when its 18 degrees out.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline
Care to elaborate how he is wrong?
The A/T Fit gets better highway mileage. Both EPA and real world. M/T gets better in town. On the highway, the final gearing of the A/T allows several hundred rpm less at speed. hence, better mileage, by a couple. In town, reverse.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd love for you to prove me wrong. I've only been hypermiling for 5 years. I'd love for you to prove me wrong
If you spend your life hypermiling, you need to get a life!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 AM
"on paper" but in real life, the manual transmission gets better city and highway mileage
Wrong again!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by wetphoto
The A/T Fit gets better highway mileage. Both EPA and real world. M/T gets better in town. On the highway, the final gearing of the A/T allows several hundred rpm less at speed. hence, better mileage, by a couple. In town, reverse.
In addition, the lockup on the torque converter means that in theory, power train losses should be minimal. So if you are at speed, ie 70, rather than a hypermiling 55, the at should barely edge out.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Its a 9 labor hour job in the book, IIRC.. Easily $1k at a dealership.
You realize a clutch replacement doesnt cost anything near $1000, right?
sol It would do wonders for your sanity and faith in the forum to put a good lot of the new members on ignore.

there has been some mind melting stupidity posted in the past couple months, from supposed mechanics and engineers no less. The "Honda Deception" thread and well this one, for example
Quoted for hilarity.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:40 AM
@wetphoto i suggest you read this whole thread.

On a side note, i'm done with this useless arguments, it's like talking to a brick wall.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Gas Mileage can't really be an issue here, on one list I stumbled appon, the Fit was rated #20 for Mpg. So if mileage is a real issue, there are 19 better choices out there. It was fun for about a week, but I eventually removed the Average Fuel Economy display for the exiting Trip Meter option!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
several hundred rpm doesn't change the fact that you need to apply more pedal force to maintain the same speed with the automatic transmission.

RPM doesn't matter AT ALL. Fuel economy is pretty much based on throttle position. The more throttle you apply, the more gas is used.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline
@wetphoto i suggest you read this whole thread.

On a side note, i'm done with this useless arguments, it's like talking to a brick wall.
pretty much. looks like some people are getting the ignore list!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
You guys are all bitching and moaning about a very small difference in MPG between an auto and a manual. You realize how stupid you're all being, right?
To put my two cents in: I had a manual and I'm in an auto now. In the manual I averaged about 30 MPG, and in the auto I'm at about 27-28 (I just hit my break in point, so I expected lower MPG numbers). Most of my commute is city, I'd say about 85/15. Do I really care about that 2 miles? no. Do I really care that everyone thinks that the auto is a waste of time and the manual is ever so superior to the auto? no. I still thoroughly enjoy the automatic, and it's just my personal preference.

As mentioned earlier, some of the newer members are WAY to opinionated. Take it easy, we're all driving an economy car when it comes down to it. Either way, auto or manual, it's still a fun car to drive and it'll get you good mileage.

We also have threads in the eco section of polls for mileage on an auto and a manual. Anyone ever think about just... reading real world results instead of trying to figure it all out on paper? When it comes down to it, the manual will get better mileage. Period.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
but that's just not true. ask any of the AT guys in here

Old 02-11-2012, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
props for that one.
I'm all good with my slower, less efficient, lower MPG auto.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
props for that one.
I'm all good with my slower, less efficient, lower MPG auto.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:20 PM
but that's just not true. ask any of the AT guys in here
Hey solbrothers, Im not one of the ones saying the AT gets better mpg but I can see why some AT owners would be irritated by hearing thier car that they paid 17000+ dollars on gets less fuel economy than the manual when the sticker on the car and honda website clearly said the automatic gets the better fuel economy. (wouldn't be surprised if there's a class action lawsuit) Then you and a few others keep calling it an "autotragic", "terribly unefficient", "souless" and many other things. Don't be so surprised your pissing people off and getting them to argue over this. One more thing, on fuel economy.gov the EPA estimates the GD having better mpg with the manual but the GE shows better mpg with the auto. That would explain why GD auto owners never argued this 4 years ago with you. They weren't given false information by a federal agency called the EPA.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:24 PM
several hundred rpm doesn't change the fact that you need to apply more pedal force to maintain the same speed with the automatic transmission.

RPM doesn't matter AT ALL. Fuel economy is pretty much based on throttle position. The more throttle you apply, the more gas is used.
Wrong, but nothing new with you.

Quick Reply: 2012 AT for the Highway Not MT