2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2012 AT for the Highway Not MT

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Saying Honda's are boring is too blanket of a statement. In general Honda's, Fords, Chevy's, Toyota's, Nissan's, and all other multi-model auto maker is boring in general. You want an exciting Ford...buy a Mustang, you want an exciting Chevy...buy a Corvette, you want an exciting Honda...buy a Civic Si. I do miss the days that Honda built the Prelude and S2000, but that market has shrunk so much that many automakers have abandoned it. Look at Toyota. They build a zillion models and each one is more boring than the next. They don't even have something as fun as the Civic Si.

Now, if we narrow it down to talking about the Fit...yes, it is more of an appliance that operates efficiently and effectively than it is a sports car. We live in the mountains and use ours to shame sportbike riders and supposed sports cars, but that is only because it happens to be a very good handling appliance

Back to the original idea of this thread. If I were solely using the Fit as a highway vehicle and did not care about acceleration, driver control, or general fun, I would buy the auto. It might get better mileage and requires less driver interaction.
You shame sportbike riders and sportscars? Maybe in your head you think you do. This is what annoys me about some of the 5mt owners on here. They think cause they are driving a manual transmission they are Mario Andretti.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357
You shame sportbike riders and sportscars? Maybe in your head you think you do. This is what annoys me about some of the 5mt owners on here. They think cause they are driving a manual transmission they are Mario Andretti.
your jelly is showing

Old 01-14-2012, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
It has nothing to do with MT or AT. The Fit with a rear sway bar and, more importantly, sticky tires is a phenomal handling vehicle. In a straight line it can't beat a turtle, but up here in the mountains it can shame most others in the tight sections.

For the record, I own a Kawasaki ZX-9 and a Mustang LX 5.0 with aftermarket suspension and over 500whp. I can carry more speed through the turns with the Fit than I can either of them.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
It has nothing to do with MT or AT. The Fit with a rear sway bar and, more importantly, sticky tires is a phenomal handling vehicle. In a straight line it can't beat a turtle, but up here in the mountains it can shame most others in the tight sections.

For the record, I own a Kawasaki ZX-9 and a Mustang LX 5.0 with aftermarket suspension and over 500whp. I can carry more speed through the turns with the Fit than I can either of them.
Interesting. Though I find any motorbike a snail in the corners compared to a sportscar. I would constantly come oh so close to running those crotch rockets over in the turns in my Mugen RSX, yet they pull away from me in the straights.

So you added a rear sway? Doesn't the Fit already have a stiff rear that verges on dangerously sliding out? What tires do you have?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
your jelly is showing
solbrothers, what do you mean by that? shifting a 5 speed keeps you physically fit?

Last edited by matt1357; 01-14-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Interesting. Though I find any motorbike a snail in the corners compared to a sportscar. I would constantly come oh so close to running those crotch rockets over in the turns in my Mugen RSX, yet they pull away from me in the straights.

So you added a rear sway? Doesn't the Fit already have a stiff rear that verges on dangerously sliding out? What tires do you have?
The GE has a rear sway bar so, obviously Honda realized their mistake with the GD. We added a Progress RSB to our GD and it makes it much more neutral.

Right now the car is on Yoko s-drives. They aren't the stickiest tire out there, but are darn good on the street. Of course, almost anything is better than the "squeeling like a pig" factory Dunlops.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
The GE has a rear sway bar so, obviously Honda realized their mistake with the GD..
i ddnt know the GE has rear sway bar? hmmm, how come some people still buy rear sway bar for the GE?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by phenoyz
i ddnt know the GE has rear sway bar? hmmm, how come some people still buy rear sway bar for the GE?
IIRC, the RSB is sport only.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
I am not a GE expert, but I believe the '09 and '10 GE Sport and all '11 and '12 models have a RSB. I'm sure that aftermarket ones are still better.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
IIRC, the RSB is sport only.
I am not a GE expert, but I believe the '09 and '10 GE Sport and all '11 and '12 models have a RSB. I'm sure that aftermarket ones are still better.
thanks, thats one less mod to buy $$$

Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
RPM on the freeway doesn't matter. manual transmission fits get better mileage, city or highway.
as usual, you are totally wrong

Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 PM
solbrothers, what do you mean by that? shifting a 5 speed keeps you physically fit?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Why does everyone act like this is new? This is Honda fashion they are meant to turn rpm, some of those older civics turned like 4400rpm at 65mph in top gear and could still run 300k miles.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by wetphoto
as usual, you are totally wrong
Care to elaborate how he is wrong?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
If I am right (not guaranteed) only the sport models have the rear sway bar. If you look on Honda's website they list the stabilizer bar (front/rear) as 21.0/NA for the base and 21.0/17.0 for the sport. The Progress rear sway bar is 19mm and if I have read correctly, can actually be added in addition to the sport sway bar (though I don't know, I drive a base.)

Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
I'd love for you to prove me wrong. I've only been hypermiling for 5 years. I'd love for you to prove me wrong

Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline
Why does everyone act like this is new? This is Honda fashion they are meant to turn rpm, some of those older civics turned like 4400rpm at 65mph in top gear and could still run 300k miles.
agree on this..

Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM
The thing about sportbike riders and sportscar owners is they never get close enough to the limit to know what it is for them. Sportbike riders are scared of putting their bike down, going under the guardrail and over the side, and sportscar owners are scared to crash a very expensive car.

Of course there are exceptions, but this is generally true. While they CAN and probably COULD be much faster, they rarely are.

I know I am personally fastest in my cars I don't care about crashing

This post in no way condones any speed contest on public roads.

On topic: I couldn't imagine getting anywhere near the MPG I get using MT in an auto. There's just too much gear work that goes into it (for me at least).

Last edited by Wanderer.; 02-09-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
I think most people with sportbikes and supercars are afraid to lose control and crash/die

Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 AM
I drive my 09 Sport AT like an idiot (more than half throttle acceleration), and I still average 38MPG. My last two tanks were 38.3mpg and 38.8mpg.

Quick Reply: 2012 AT for the Highway Not MT