2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Project retrofit done...for now

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Woo! Another retro! Good job man! The chrome looks good on the black, can't wait to see them painted. Way to go on replacing the amber bulbs. It's the little things that make it complete.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. I really like the lights themselves. Unfortunately, I think they "pop" just a little too much against the black and w/ the red emblem, even more so considering I will be getting gold wheels in the spring (might look like the Walmart jewelry section). If I was staying w/ silver wheels I might have to reconsider the whole painting issue.

I'll be sure to post pics of the cutoff when I finish the final touches on the headlights.

Last edited by lowkeymods; 01-13-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
I give up!

Burnt the plastic on my headlight for the second time (didn't tell you all about the first time) Huge headlights and traditional ovens are not a good combo.

If anyone wants to buy my setup pm me please with an offer. I'm willing to sell either the whole retrofit still in the headlights or finish my botched job and take out just the projectors. The HID is already setup and ready to go in a car. Will even keep everything tucked and tied for easy mounting w/ pics. Let me know. : (

Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lowkeymods
I give up!

Burnt the plastic on my headlight for the second time (didn't tell you all about the first time) Huge headlights and traditional ovens are not a good combo.

If anyone wants to buy my setup pm me please with an offer. I'm willing to sell either the whole retrofit still in the headlights or finish my botched job and take out just the projectors. The HID is already setup and ready to go in a car. Will even keep everything tucked and tied for easy mounting w/ pics. Let me know. : (
Oh damn, did you put them on a piece of cardboard or just on the oven rack? I know they don't fit worth a shit in an oven. I had to leave it cracked open when I did mine. Somehow they came out decently. I effed up one corner where it was closer to the wall of the oven then I thought but it came out ok.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
I give up!

What happened? I just placed an order for this exact kit from retrofitsource today and was planning to install mine on Wed.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sooner97
What happened? I just placed an order for this exact kit from retrofitsource today and was planning to install mine on Wed.
If you need help or advice feel free to pm me. I did mine about a month ago and probably gonna be jumping to an OEM projector soon instead of the D2S mini's.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
If you need help or advice feel free to pm me. I did mine about a month ago and probably gonna be jumping to an OEM projector soon instead of the D2S mini's.
Thanks for the offer, I may need some help along the way. Were you not happy with the light output of the D2S? I'm starting to second guess my purchase now

Old 01-14-2012, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the offer, I may need some help along the way. Were you not happy with the light output of the D2S? I'm starting to second guess my purchase now
Oh it's hella bright with a 55 watt vs stock and covers about 3 lanes. My problem is it fades away after about 25-30 yards. I want more distance especially when i'm out driving at night. But for the everyday driver it's just fine.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Oh it's hella bright with a 55 watt vs stock and covers about 3 lanes. My problem is it fades away after about 25-30 yards. I want more distance especially when i'm out driving at night. But for the everyday driver it's just fine.

OK, I actually got the 35 watts, hopefully it will be bright enough for me too. I know this isn't the best setup out there for HIDs but this is my first time doing a retrofit and this seems to be the easiest way of doing it. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-14-2012, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
OK, I actually got the 35 watts, hopefully it will be bright enough for me too. I know this isn't the best setup out there for HIDs but this is my first time doing a retrofit and this seems to be the easiest way of doing it. Thanks for the info!
By FAR the easiest retro. Good luck with it.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
The problem I've encountered both times I burnt mine was not the bottom (put a wet towel down) but it got too close to the top of the oven and bubbled up in a matter of 1-2 minutes. I think I'm just going back to OEM. I loved having the HID, but it's not worth the headache of doing this again for the third time, with the possiblity of burning them again. Just going to cut my losses and play it safe.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
The problem I've encountered both times I burnt mine was not the bottom (put a wet towel down) but it got too close to the top of the oven and bubbled up in a matter of 1-2 minutes. I think I'm just going back to OEM. I loved having the HID, but it's not worth the headache of doing this again for the third time, with the possiblity of burning them again. Just going to cut my losses and play it safe.
Just wondering. What temp is your oven on? Is the rack at the lowest possible position? Just covering the basics to see why it happened and possibly help you fix it.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
200 lowest rack. I probably could have set them flat instead of their normal upright position, but then part of them would be sticking outside of the heat. I'm really just over it. I also worried about spraying off my engine w/ all the new exposed electronics from the HID. I think I'm starting to realize that it's more important to me have something worry free than luxurious.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
200 lowest rack. I probably could have set them flat instead of their normal upright position, but then part of them would be sticking outside of the heat. I'm really just over it. I also worried about spraying off my engine w/ all the new exposed electronics from the HID. I think I'm starting to realize that it's more important to me have something worry free than luxurious.
It's all water proof if you got morimoto lol.

I laid mine down with the lens straight up at 250 and left the oven cracked open to let it fit but keep as much heat in as possible. After about 7 minutes mine just peeled right open.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear that. So was it the clear plastic lens that bubbled? I will probably lay mine face down so the black back is closer to the heating element at the top. I don't usually spray my engine bay, I've read that it's not good for the car with all the water going everywhere. I usually just wipe mine down with some wet rags. I'm sorry to hear all the problems you went thru, but it does give me a head up about what to look out for. Good luck with everything!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Yep the clear plastic, first time turned white, this time i caught it but still got small bubles and smears. It's possible and not that hard once you get them open. I've just had a run of stupidity and bad luck. Just take your time (allow at least 2 days) and do it right.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
I'm sorry for all the questions, but I have one last one. How big are your ovens? Mine is 30 inches wide, so do you guys think the headlights will fit ok? Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Jamy, did you use any kind of clamps to hold the headlights together as you wait for the glue to reseal? Did you buy any extra glue or did you just use the old one that was left? Lastly, what did you use to glue the shroud to the reflector? Thanks!

Old 01-14-2012, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
Idk...been using my girlfriends oven since she has a garage. She is equally over it and does not own a tape measurer : ) The problem isn't just the width it's the height. The headlights don't look that big till you get them out. They're effing huge! I guess I would just measure the height and width of them on the car w/ your hood open and check it. I'm also sure there is a way to get them in the oven w/o getting so close to the top, but I'm too discouraged to figure it out.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Jamy, did you use any kind of clamps to hold the headlights together as you wait for the glue to reseal? Did you buy any extra glue or did you just use the old one that was left? Lastly, what did you use to glue the shroud to the reflector? Thanks!
I literally just pressed them back together and tightened down the screws a till it got tough, threw them in the oven for about 5 minutes again and then squeezed the edges down the rest of the way by hand and then tighten the screws all the way. Used the OEM glue which works just fine. For extra reassurance i've seen people put a bit of clear silicon over the seam. I bought a strip of butyl just to be safe but ended up not using it at first. The shrouds i got, bullet's, have the shroud centric rings which don't require glue. however. The one on the passenger side didn't stick enough and ended up falling off in the head light.. twice... So I rolled out a really thin piece of butyl, wrapped around the inside edge of the shroud and slipped it on. Haven't had a problem since and I've had the lights on for 6 hours once doing 85 on a bumpy back road and not a single problem.

Idk...been using my girlfriends oven since she has a garage. She is equally over it and does not own a tape measurer : ) The problem isn't just the width it's the height. The headlights don't look that big till you get them out. They're effing huge! I guess I would just measure the height and width of them on the car w/ your hood open and check it. I'm also sure there is a way to get them in the oven w/o getting so close to the top, but I'm too discouraged to figure it out.
Getting them to fit completely is nearly impossible unless you have a giant mother effing oven. I'm talking WWII cremation chamber... your best bet it to angle them so they fit as much in as possible. And then prop the door closed as much as possible or just leave it open and set it about 50 degrees hotter. Just as long as the glue gets a little loose so you can pry it open with your fingers and then you could probably cut through with a razor.

Last edited by Jamy; 01-14-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Project retrofit done...for now