2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The END of FitDeez!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I should also thank the OP for posting this. We now know what will fail first if you do extreme suspension and wheel mods on your daily driven Fit. Someone has to be the guinea pig and I'm sorry that it was you, but the entire Fit community is better for your findings. This is a normal procedure to any of us that have modified multiple vehicles and broken stuff. Someone has to find the design limitations.

We now know that if you are planning on extreme suspension geometery changes it is a good idea to have your upper shock tower plate fully welded to avoid breakage. Thank you!
Using some of that plate-steel they use for mounting roll cages would be the way to go. Heat form and TIG'd in there!

I doubt we'll see anyone doing this, though. They just want to get the look as simple and easy as can be.

Like most goals, the supporting mods get overlooked, because they can be inconvenient and tack on a good bit to the price.

Yeah, I've broken a lot of stuff in my day, but I didn't blame the manufacture and post a "warning" to all owners.

I blew an intake into a bunch of little pieces with a nitrous backfire one time, but I didn't suggest that the manufacture should have built an intake to handle nitrous backfires. It was my own stupidity trying to stuff a 200hp shot down a factory intake. I learned from my mistake and backed it down to a 150 shot and then had a bone stock looking car (even under the hood) running 11's

Name:  Picture120.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  34.7 KB

Ya don't say? And that is on a high quality manifold designed for nitrous. Some of them have those burst caps, this one just let the plenum pop. The IC piping was dented where it slammed into the shock tower after the couple blew off the TB. LOL

We seem to have a scary amount in common there GA

OP: ~14hours of labour each side and $180 + shipping per tower.

That is gonna hurt. Figure a conservative $70-90/hr and $30/each for shipping & handling....

$1960-2520 for the work if they do it per the book and not flat rate and drag ass on the job. ~$420 in parts/transit.

Yikes.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-05-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 PM
I think your best bet is to go with a shop that works on these cars all the time. There are probably a thousand different shops in your area which are capable of doing the work, however, the one I would trust most is the one who has probably replaced a few of these before which would be a certified honda body shop.

Honda Body Shop Locator: Recognized Collision Repair Centers RESOURCES

Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Well I just want to say my car is only on coilovers nothing extremely modded about that.I'm not running negative camber the wheels that I did have were 16 x 9 but lighter than the stock wheels, I always ride my coilovers on the softest setting i daily drive it at a reasonable lowered height and I only drop it all the way down for shows so to me it's just like any other second-generation fit on coilovers

Last edited by FitDEEZ; 01-05-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
I appreciate all the info tho

Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
Good luck and please keep us all posted. I can sincerely say that I've been in your shoes in one form or another and it sucks!!!

I used to have a friend that lived in N Bergen, NJ and I visited there a few times. Thought I was driving in a war zone. He went through 3 factory wheels on his '90 Eclipse GS Turbo before moving. Are you driving on those kind of roads?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
On some occasion yes and it sucs but I take my time and try to avoid the severe roads

Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
So, if you have little to no suspension travel, stiff springs, extra low sidewall tires, heavy wheels with aggressive offset, and then drive on crappy roads you are more likely to have some form of suspension bushing, mount, etc failure.
add to that the shock dampers.

Originally Posted by SevereService
BTW, the part which is broken is called an Inner Fender Panel Assembly or the Apron. Part#60750TK6A00ZZ $180.00

According to the ADP database, it will take 11.8 hours to replace and 1.4 hours to refinish.
Um, Bernardi simply lists that as shock absorber housing. Inner Fender panels are what I've been calling "liner" as in, the black plastic parts.

~~~~~~~~~~

I suggest EVERYONE that thinks the welds failed (for any reason)... take another look.

The welds didn't fail... the sheet metal ripped. Indicating that the welds transferred all the impact forces from the shock absorber housing onto a select few spots of the other sheet metal. Would it have helped if there were additional welds to spread the load (so to speak)?

Incidentally, I hate spot welds. I prefer me, a LONG seam weld.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, hence why I suggested some plate reinforcement would be in order. Sheet metal is not going to survive that abuse.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers

I suggest EVERYONE that thinks the welds failed (for any reason)... take another look.

The welds didn't fail... the sheet metal ripped. Indicating that the welds transferred all the impact forces from the shock absorber housing onto a select few spots of the other sheet metal. Would it have helped if there were additional welds to spread the load (so to speak)?

Incidentally, I hate spot welds. I prefer me, a LONG seam weld.
^^Agree^^
Like I said before - Two spot welds and the sheet metal sheared.

Also:

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
There is no excuse for that type of body weld failure without the car being in a collision.

This is a Honda. The body welds should hold. If, for any reason, Honda tries to hang this on 'suspension mods' there's a real good reason why Honda sales are dropping like flies.

I'm no expert but body weld failures because of springs and shocks just don't happen, not in a production car. If so then we all face similar failures if we hit a pothole hard.

Two spot welds holding the shock tower to the engine main frame - Shoddy mfg QC and, basically a poor design.
It's a body weld failure if the stock metal shears, plain and simple. You might blame the mods, however, as has been pointed out before - our Fit's have been constructed at a design minimum. This became obvious to me while deciding on a trailer hitch set up. It's all light gauge sheet metal. Expecting it to perform beyond a minimal standard is asking for trouble. That failure should not have happened, but it did.

Design mins are not design standards. Honda is cutting corners at the consumers risk for the sake of economy. Not our economy nor the Fit's economy but theirs...

Disappointing to say the least.

K_C_

Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
I agree ^^

Old 01-06-2012, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
^^Agree^^
Like I said before - Two spot welds and the sheet metal sheared.

Also:

It's a body weld failure if the stock metal shears, plain and simple. You might blame the mods, however, as has been pointed out before - our Fit's have been constructed at a design minimum. This became obvious to me while deciding on a trailer hitch set up. It's all light gauge sheet metal. Expecting it to perform beyond a minimal standard is asking for trouble. That failure should not have happened, but it did.

Design mins are not design standards. Honda is cutting corners at the consumers risk for the sake of economy. Not our economy nor the Fit's economy but theirs...

Disappointing to say the least.

K_C_
Actually, there are three spot welds in the front (that you can see in the pic), and obviously should be more in the back (assuming that they did the spot welding before putting in the firewall). Leftmost spot weld popped out in a near perfect circle (it may have been a triangular tear, but the compound is still covering it). Middle spot weld is an inch from that one... creating a wide triangular tear. The right most, created a narrower tear. Edit: I went out to my car to take a closer look. There one more spot weld to the left of the bracket holding the windshield washer fluids. The bracket itself is held on with two spot welds (though I don't know if either or both pass through to the housing). Then, around the corner from the right visible spot weld, I felt 5 more (last two following the sheet metal downward). So that means, based on FitDeez pics... that it failed at, AT LEAST 6 spot welds, if not all the ones I found. So... a possible 9 failure spots (personally, I don't call it a spot weld failure unless the two sheets actually separate at the weld itself, not around it).

Ironically, if Honda made the car with thicker/stronger metals, it would gain some weight, and therefore more complaints from the monkey gallery about it. I seem to recall someone bashing the Honda engineers by acting as if he knew better then them and calling the car overweight (haven't seen him in some time).

Looking at the pictures... I think you can find out who to "blame" if you look at the rest of the housing around the strut mount... is the housing bulging up? If it is, then it's a clear indicator that it's been taking MUCH more impact abuse than the typical Fit. Because it has to bulge before the welds failed. You could even ask other owners on coilovers to check theirs out (take pics if they can/want to).

Last edited by Goobers; 01-06-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 AM
aww man, sucks to see

Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
WOW! I never knew there where so many experts on this site. Just one pic of the damage and you guys can say with out a dought that his suspension is at fault for the damage, that really is impressive.

While I have all you experts in one place can you look at a pic of my car? This is a pic of the cars front suspension at full droop, how long do I have before I have catastrophic suspension failure?
Actually it was after seeing this picture that I said, without a doubt, that suspension mods were at fault.

Name:  381215_2533620012964_1027453203_32654901_1772000413_n.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  39.7 KB

Doesn't take an expert.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Then I should have to worry about the driver side as well , witch is actually perfectly fine . I don't drive my car at that height all the time

Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
So this is my buddy Ron's car he's running the same suspension set up and wheel set up more or less he's had it done for the same amount of time that I have, yet he has nothing wrong with his car at all, not to mention that he rides it at the highest damper setting ,now when he checked his car there's no sign of damage like what happened to My car
Name:  1029a79b.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  80.0 KB
Name:  b15953dd.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  36.6 KB
Name:  f133b5f2.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  65.1 KB

Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Name:  56ecd119.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  44.6 KB

Old 01-06-2012, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
The damage to your car is impact related. As in, it had to be driven to break and was likely caused by road conditions. I doubt that a stock car would see this same damage, but maybe your insurance company can help?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
I plan on doing anything possible the car will be completely stock next week and I'm going to bring it to the dealer and see what they can do, if they dont want to cover it then I will go with the Insurance route

Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitDEEZ
So this is my buddy Ron's car he's running the same suspension set up and wheel set up more or less he's had it done for the same amount of time that I have, yet he has nothing wrong with his car at all, not to mention that he rides it at the highest damper setting ,now when he checked his car there's no sign of damage like what happened to My car
When you remove the bendy bouncy part the suspension has less travel. The shocks cannot do their job absorbing kinetic energy. It has to go somewhere. Some winds up all over the car but it's especially focused at the top of the strut towers. Metal fatigue will occur normally, but much faster in this case.

I suspect the driver's side tower is compromised too.

If I were Honda I'd google your vanity plate for images. Pretty cool.

Last edited by Steve244; 01-06-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add metal fatigue link.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
The driver side tower is perfectly fine

Quick Reply: The END of FitDeez!!!?