2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The END of FitDeez!!!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
NOOO!!!!

that sucks Deez....hate to see this happen on any car, much less on another ssm 09....

I just got swifts. Hope I dont have to worry about this

Old 01-05-2012, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
That is exactly what I have time and again warned would happen to cars that were dropped on extremely stiff springs... I screwed up doing the same thing to a VW Pickup 30 years ago... Dropping a car just to acquire a look will eventually take its toll on strut towers unless you just sit and look at the car instead of trying to use it for transportation... I learned the hard way and was told it was because I didn't know how to drive to I was an inbred moron that had sex with female relative by some damned guy in Hawaii......

Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
NOOO!!!!

that sucks Deez....hate to see this happen on any car, much less on another ssm 09....

I just got swifts. Hope I dont have to worry about this
Nothing to worry about with linear springs like Swifts... It's progressive wound springs that build up rebound tension with very little compression that does this... This is why I won't use Eibachs.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM
U got that backwards TC?

I would think linear rate springs would be more of an issue than progressive springs? OP has linear springs on CO i'm assuming.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
MNfit & Krimson, I completely agree with both of you that this should not happen. I merely pointed out the things that the OP modified on his car that added stress to the damaged area. That is exactly what Honda would do if they see his car with ANY of those mods.

As for there only being two spot welds on the shock tower, that is true of the 30% or so that we can see. For all we know those could be the only welds or it could be fully sonically welded on the other 70%.

Regardless, this exact failure would not happen in any other car I've owned, but I'm not all that surprised to see it in a heavily altered, cheapest/lightest Honda made. These cars are designed to work perfectly as delivered from the factory, but I doubt there is a lot of room for going beyond the design limits.

Don't get me wrong here. I have +40mm offset wheels, lower profile tires, a rear sway bar, and wouldn't hesitate to put coilovers or lowering springs on it. I'm simply saying that this particular damage happened to a car with serious changes to the suspension geometery and the shock tower welds were unable to handle the changes. I seriously doubt that this would happen to a stock car, but stock is boring.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
That is exactly what I have time and again warned would happen to cars that were dropped on extremely stiff springs... I screwed up doing the same thing to a VW Pickup 30 years ago... Dropping a car just to acquire a look will eventually take its toll on strut towers unless you just sit and look at the car instead of trying to use it for transportation... I learned the hard way and was told it was because I didn't know how to drive to I was an inbred moron that had sex with female relative by some damned guy in Hawaii......
Once again, we are on the same page. I think we have both torn up enough stuff to know that there are consequences to modifying a car. Yet, we both continue and try to make better informed decisions.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Yikes! When I saw your thread's title, I expected to see a photo of a wreck. I certainly didn't expect to see that.

Yup. Get it over to a reputable body shop and have 'em weld it up good. I think FitDEEZ will roll again. It's not a total.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM
If I were you..... I'd delete this thread... The dealership will most likely suspect something fishy (I work as a tech at Acura) and this kind of thing, with a Car that has been plastered everywhere on the web.... Might get screwed By the pics. It's all over your Facebook, as are your car pics I'm assuming. They can search your name and boom. Picture evidence. Delete this

After it gets fixed/car replaced.... Then post back up.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
HellaBroken.

That "barely driveable" sticker now seems prophetic...

Originally Posted by GAFIT
Once again, we are on the same page. I think we have both torn up enough stuff to know that there are consequences to modifying a car. Yet, we both continue and try to make better informed decisions.
Everyone here seems to be under the impression we make this stuff up to be a dick about what are seriously poor choices.

I agree with eurobeaner they will take you to task on this.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 PM
no strut tower brace with all those mods?

the fit really isn't made to be heavily modded, but sorry to see that happen!
I'm sure that can be repaired and get a strut tower brace!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
How the hell is a strut tower brace going to help that? They are for lateral motion control.

And this is an already stiff area in a Fit, and most other cars.

The vibration and strain from his mods broke the welds in the vertical axis.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Hey maybe it's time to modify your strut towers! Cut, raise, and reinforce.

I don't know though, maybe you don't need to raise the towers if you're already laying frame/oil pan/whatever is lowest on GE8s.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
That is exactly what I have time and again warned would happen to cars that were dropped on extremely stiff springs... I screwed up doing the same thing to a VW Pickup 30 years ago... Dropping a car just to acquire a look will eventually take its toll on strut towers unless you just sit and look at the car instead of trying to use it for transportation......
I believe you, because i also did it too long time ago...hehehe

Originally Posted by GAFIT
Yeah, I've broken a lot of stuff in my day, but I didn't blame the manufacture and post a "warning" to all owners.

I blew an intake into a bunch of little pieces with a nitrous backfire one time, but I didn't suggest that the manufacture should have built an intake to handle nitrous backfires. It was my own stupidity trying to stuff a 200hp shot down a factory intake. I learned from my mistake and backed it down to a 150 shot and then had a bone stock looking car (even under the hood) running 11's

... I agree...

Last edited by phenoyz; 01-05-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters

Everyone here seems to be under the impression we make this stuff up to be a dick about what are seriously poor choices.

Yeah, I've broken a lot of stuff in my day, but I didn't blame the manufacture and post a "warning" to all owners.

I blew an intake into a bunch of little pieces with a nitrous backfire one time, but I didn't suggest that the manufacture should have built an intake to handle nitrous backfires. It was my own stupidity trying to stuff a 200hp shot down a factory intake. I learned from my mistake and backed it down to a 150 shot and then had a bone stock looking car (even under the hood) running 11's

Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Report this to your insurance company. Tell them you were driving along when suddenly you hit a massive pothole or that you had to swerve to avoid a car coming at you and jumped a curb. The car was driving funny and so you looked and found this.

I am insurance adjuster in NJ and look at these cars all day long. The adjuster in the office will take your word for it. There will be a guy who comes out to look at it and he will probably say he has never seen anything like it.

The dealership will probably find a way to get out of it.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
I should also thank the OP for posting this. We now know what will fail first if you do extreme suspension and wheel mods on your daily driven Fit. Someone has to be the guinea pig and I'm sorry that it was you, but the entire Fit community is better for your findings. This is a normal procedure to any of us that have modified multiple vehicles and broken stuff. Someone has to find the design limitations.

We now know that if you are planning on extreme suspension geometery changes it is a good idea to have your upper shock tower plate fully welded to avoid breakage. Thank you!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
U got that backwards TC?

I would think linear rate springs would be more of an issue than progressive springs? OP has linear springs on CO i'm assuming.
I've had a bit of good whiskey so I can get some sleep tonight so I will use something that will explain the difference betweem progressive and Linear springs in the way they function.. Progressive vs Linear. Advantages/Disadvantages, etc.?. You fellows that don't want to destroy your car or aggravate your inflamed hemoroids need to check this out or be miserable wretches until you dying day.... I'm just trying to save you guys from screwing up as badly as I was recognized for doing at one long lasting point in my life...Progressive vs Linear. Advantages/Disadvantages, etc.?. I hope you all read this and understand it... It will save you from making a mess of things that may ore may not be able to be made right again. Good luck to one and all that have been living in a world of shit when it came to making choices that have messed up your cars. Here is more stuff that makes better sense Swift Springs USA... If you love your car you will be able to have the love last longer by using this info.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:42 PM
BTW, the part which is broken is called an Inner Fender Panel Assembly or the Apron. Part#60750TK6A00ZZ $180.00

According to the ADP database, it will take 11.8 hours to replace and 1.4 hours to refinish.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't even bother with Honda.

I mean you may get lucky and they could fix it just to keep up their good name, but you're out of warranty and the car is modded.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SevereService
BTW, the part which is broken is called an Inner Fender Panel Assembly or the Apron. Part#60750TK6A00ZZ $180.00

According to the ADP database, it will take 11.8 hours to replace and 1.4 hours to refinish.
Thanks! Didn't know that was the name. I just thought of it as the upper shock tower.

If it were my car, I'd order that part and take the car to a chassis shop. I have friends that build race car chassis and they would see this as a fairly normal job.

Quick Reply: The END of FitDeez!!!?