2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Worst MPG ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eurobeaner
I've got a 2012 fit, mt. The first ~1500 miles were ~30mpg, and after a 10hr road trip, I'm now constantly getting 34, driving her pretty hard. It's also winter, so that's 34 with crappy winter gas, doing 75-80 on the highway.
Your story sounds the same as mine.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
well as far as topping the tank off, yes i do practice it. always have. i feel what all yall are saying, i know somethings up. lol trying to convince my dealer there is too, if theyd just wouldve or will give me a car that performs like my first fit id be happy. i love the damn car. but im 38, white and nerdy, dont have a lead foot( i mean its a freakin auto! why would i? lol ) honestly i feel i wound up with a lemon. ive heard it happens. never had one before, or knew anyone with one, i read that the process is hard to prove and lengthy.

Im not a customer thats nitpicking my car, these are all things that jumped out at me and i couldnt ignore em. i try to just cause i love my fit. but somethings wrong man, and i just want honda to put me in another car truthfully, i feel this ones left a bad taste in my mouth. i dont want no money, i dont wanna sue nobody, i dont want noooo drama, i just want to get what im shelling out my very little hard earned dollars for.

Last edited by Jango_Fit; 01-10-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357
jango- I just bought a 2012 base, same color as you and Im nervous now this color could be bad luck or something. I cant say Im having any of your problems except it downshifts alot but I hear they all do on inclines or when stepping on the gas a little.
I Wouldnt necessarily worry man, the fits a good car, theres far more testimony contained within this site alone of miraculous results with theyre car. i just think maybe i got a faulty one.

Originally Posted by eurobeaner
I've got a 2012 fit, mt. The first ~1500 miles were ~30mpg, and after a 10hr road trip, I'm now constantly getting 34, driving her pretty hard. It's also winter, so that's 34 with crappy winter gas, doing 75-80 on the highway.
right on! see matt there you go!! dont sweat it unless something arises! like mine! lol

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Either you're really tough on your stuff or this thing fell off the boat that brought it here... or it came out of a repro.

If a dealer can't/wont tell you simply why a tire is dropping air??? Somethings up.

K_C_
as stated before, i dont beat on it! i agree with you it may of fell off the boat along the way once or twice! lol

as far as the dealer, right??????????? like wtf?? lol but they say theres no air leaking anywhere!! yet religiously every three days im spending a dollar for air for one tire!!! so thats what average 30 days a month, hmmm wow. 10 dollars give or take a few a freakin month!!! on air!!!!!! lol wow gotta love dunlops!

funny thing is dunlops were some of the best tires ive ever owned back in the day, but these particular series suck!!! LOL

im goin to honda this coming weekend to get this crap straight. somethings gonna give with this car! i dont know if its gonna be me or the car but shits goin down! lol going tell honda where im at with it and sit down and jus be like

Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Valve stem on the TPSM, plus there's a rubber washer that seals the unit on the inside of the rim. It needs to be replaced I would guess.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jango_Fit
I Wouldnt necessarily worry man, the fits a good car, theres far more testimony contained within this site alone of miraculous results with theyre car. i just think maybe i got a faulty one.

right on! see matt there you go!! dont sweat it unless something arises! like mine! lol

as stated before, i dont beat on it! i agree with you it may of fell off the boat along the way once or twice! lol

as far as the dealer, right??????????? like wtf?? lol but they say theres no air leaking anywhere!! yet religiously every three days im spending a dollar for air for one tire!!! so thats what average 30 days a month, hmmm wow. 10 dollars give or take a few a freakin month!!! on air!!!!!! lol wow gotta love dunlops!

funny thing is dunlops were some of the best tires ive ever owned back in the day, but these particular series suck!!! LOL

im goin to honda this coming weekend to get this crap straight. somethings gonna give with this car! i dont know if its gonna be me or the car but shits goin down! lol going tell honda where im at with it and sit down and jus be like
sorry about the bad luck on your car. definitely sounds you are not happy with it.
As far as spending money on air, you can buy a small portable air compressor (and maybe an extra air pressure gauge to doublecheck the compressor's gauge).

Even if you might get the problem with your car fixed; , it's a good tool to have for future use.
When you don't have to pay each time for air and have to go to a station, it won't feel like it is as big of a hassle.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jango_Fit
well as far as topping the tank off, yes i do practice it. always have. i feel what all yall are saying, i know somethings up. lol trying to convince my dealer there is too, if theyd just wouldve or will give me a car that performs like my first fit id be happy. i love the damn car. but im 38, white and nerdy, dont have a lead foot( i mean its a freakin auto! why would i? lol ) honestly i feel i wound up with a lemon. ive heard it happens. never had one before, or knew anyone with one, i read that the process is hard to prove and lengthy.

Im not a customer thats nitpicking my car, these are all things that jumped out at me and i couldnt ignore em. i try to just cause i love my fit. but somethings wrong man, and i just want honda to put me in another car truthfully, i feel this ones left a bad taste in my mouth. i dont want no money, i dont wanna sue nobody, i dont want noooo drama, i just want to get what im shelling out my very little hard earned dollars for.
Check out the lemon laws in your state and start keeping documentation. The laws favor dealers so it's pretty hard to get a car declared a lemon and bought back.

It sounds like you were sold a damaged car. If they knew it (and they should be) they might be guilty of fraud.

Have a look at this site.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
sorry about the bad luck on your car. definitely sounds you are not happy with it.
As far as spending money on air, you can buy a small portable air compressor (and maybe an extra air pressure gauge to doublecheck the compressor's gauge).

Even if you might get the problem with your car fixed; , it's a good tool to have for future use.
When you don't have to pay each time for air and have to go to a station, it won't feel like it is as big of a hassle.
not a bad idea at all! thanks!

Originally Posted by Steve244
Check out the lemon laws in your state and start keeping documentation. The laws favor dealers so it's pretty hard to get a car declared a lemon and bought back.

It sounds like you were sold a damaged car. If they knew it (and they should be) they might be guilty of fraud.

Have a look at this site.
idk if its a lemon, but its def got alot of issues for such a young car! lol thanks man.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
a bicycle pump works.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Jango fit, a few posts ago you said 'sucks cause i had 0 issues with the old one! freakin loved it!'
Then I checked your previous posts on your profile and saw a few things you said about your old fit like 'ive got an 09 with 25,833 miles on it as of this morning. ive been noticing a small leak under the car recently, as well as a lot of what seems to be lifter noise. then to kick it off, i pop my hood today to check everything and find a major valve cover leak???? i cant even believe it, im starting to think honda dont build em like they used to. idk, im goin to my dealer tomorrow with it and a long list of complaints. they cant get it straight i may be fitless tomorrow, lol cause ill leave it there w the keys and move on! i do really really love the car though! thats what sucks most' and 'yeah id def. chew some ass! im ready to tell em to take mine and shove it back up theyre asses! im almost not caring if it screws my credit! im SICK of this car!'

So now you have another one and you have a bunch of problems with it too?? Its funny your the only one Ive seen to have so many problems with the GE8

Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
well I just came back from arizona, it was a 205 mile trip
wife with me, hit 65-70 mph, mostly 65mph, the twisties was nice to drive
at, car handled very good, steering precise (car's suspension is stock)
i was pleased with 44mpg...

Last edited by phenoyz; 01-11-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357
Jango fit, a few posts ago you said 'sucks cause i had 0 issues with the old one! freakin loved it!'
Then I checked your previous posts on your profile and saw a few things you said about your old fit like 'ive got an 09 with 25,833 miles on it as of this morning. ive been noticing a small leak under the car recently, as well as a lot of what seems to be lifter noise. then to kick it off, i pop my hood today to check everything and find a major valve cover leak???? i cant even believe it, im starting to think honda dont build em like they used to. idk, im goin to my dealer tomorrow with it and a long list of complaints. they cant get it straight i may be fitless tomorrow, lol cause ill leave it there w the keys and move on! i do really really love the car though! thats what sucks most' and 'yeah id def. chew some ass! im ready to tell em to take mine and shove it back up theyre asses! im almost not caring if it screws my credit! im SICK of this car!'

So now you have another one and you have a bunch of problems with it too?? Its funny your the only one Ive seen to have so many problems with the GE8

yes i did, but it was smaller ones compared to this. a vc wasnt soo bad it was just strange, the leak wound up being a faulty brake line that somehow got sheared. it was strange too. so yeah i was mad when i posted that but it was also one of the reasons coupled with the fact they said there were some issues with the recall , that i traded up to this 2011! to avoid further issues! now i have triple the amount! lol

and regarding me saying a long list of complaints, it was regarding theyre svc dept. not the car! if u read most of my older posts wich arent many, lol, u woulda seen i had had probs with the svc dept from day one! i mean they literally couldnve done the pre inspection. the tpms came on on that first fit a day or so after i got it. then the oil light, when i checked it it was a qt and a half low!!! lol so yeah, ive had alotta issues with them as well.

and im not the only one kind sir! google will show the facts. lol im not in here bashing fits! i love mine, even tho shes a sour whore! lol i think theyre great cars, i just am not having much luck with em!

Last edited by Jango_Fit; 01-11-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Following up on my post of last w/e:

Prior to departing for VT I filled up and I had 22.1 on just over half a tank. I next topped off in VT after about 220 miles and had 34.1 mpg. Both of course are slightly variable as they depend on pump cut-off. I always top off with another 50 to 75 cents. My average speed was probably just over 70mph (sometimes closer to 75, sometimes closer to 65) and my car had about 225lbs of cargo including the dog. Temps were in the upper 20s to mid 30s.

So clearly the studs are not holding things back on the highway nor the speed or cargo. Yet the recent local milage was dreadful.

I'll keep tabs on it up here though "local" in vt is for all intents highway most other places - the numbered roads are mostly 50mph, interstates are 65. Area roads are typically 40. And while there are some stop signs, I'm 17 miles to the nearest traffic light. Temps will be colder though.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
re the tire pressure problem: this is sometimes an issue with alloy wheels and tires and seems to be more the luck of the draw. While not common, its not rare either.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Following up on the idle observation:

The reason I mentioned colder weather idle warm up was because I have noticed that the Fit does not drop down to the normal RPM quickly and instead remains elevated. From an longevity standpoint, I think oil has circulated and warmed up by 60 seconds on most days.

But I do wonder if the wasted gas to let the car idle down to normal rpm is less than driving it while in that higher base rpm condition.

Either way, there is no cutting around the fact that my local mpg has always been below rated and is now significantly below. I'm starting to think they are doing their epa city rating on some rural roads!

Well I just found this pretty quickly:

Vehicles are driven over identical driving patterns by professional drivers in controlled laboratory conditions on a dynamometer, which is like a treadmill for cars. The conditions that occur during driving, such as wind drag and inertia are accounted for on the dynamometer. There are two types of tests that are conducted: city and highway tests.

The city test is approximately 11 miles long and simulates a stop and go trip with an average speed of about 20 miles per hour (mph). The trip lasts 31 minutes and has 23 stops. About 18 percent of the time is spent idling (as in waiting for traffic lights). A short freeway driving segment is included in the test. The engine is initially started after being parked overnight.
The highway simulates a 10 mile trip with an average speed of 48 mph. The vehicle is started "hot" and there is very little idling and no stops.

Well my "typical" local driving is about 8 miles with 3 or 4 stop signs and 4-6 lights (not always red!). Sorry Honda, you made up that 27 local.

Last edited by beezle; 01-11-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
EPA ratings are done on a dyno with a professional driver following a prescribed "course."

Carbon emissions are measured to determine the amount of actual fuel used.

It's all very scientific (except for the "professional driver").

oops posted at the same time as your edit...

Last edited by Steve244; 01-11-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: simultaneous posting
Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beezle
Sorry Honda, you made up that 27 local.
The EPA rating isn't a measure of what you're going to get, and neither Honda nor the EPA is trying to pull one over on you.
That's the whole origin of the phrase "Your mileage may vary".

It is a comparative score on a test. If you're getting 2mpg less on your "local route", the information you're supposed to take on this is that every other car also rated with a 27 will also be the same and also get you about 2mpg.

Now, for I've heard of rumors of some cars who had their car's computer systems specifically coded to detect the EPA test cycle, and then switch to a super eco-mode to produce better scores. In that case, then indeed they are trying to pull one over on you.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
beezle - thanks for posting the EPA definition, +rep to you

Because of the way EPA determines mileage I've come to define my 'local driving world' as "rural/suburban" and am comfortable with the 37-40MPG my FIT normally returns. This winter I'm seeing it more like 35-37, but I believe it took a similar seasonal hit last winter [my 1st driving it] as well.

My 'highway' driving is typically a 400mile trip @70MPH, so I miss on that count as well. I typically see 36-37MPH on my long trips.

We all need to be conscious of where we typically drive - it rarely fits the EPA model, one size does not fit all ;-)

Old 01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
The EPA rating isn't a measure of what you're going to get, and neither Honda nor the EPA is trying to pull one over on you.
That's the whole origin of the phrase "Your mileage may vary".

It is a comparative score on a test. If you're getting 2mpg less on your "local route", the information you're supposed to take on this is that every other car also rated with a 27 will also be the same and also get you about 2mpg.

Having come from a wrx wagon that was rated 20/27 and which never did worse than 19/26 and was almost always.. 20/27, I think that is just making up an excuse for Honda (and others). If anything, my local driving patterns are better than they put up on the test...I even get a one mile 'highway' segment 4 or 5 days a week (one exit back from the dog park).

And it does seem that there are a lot of people who are getting subrated local mpg. Very few complain about the highway figures.