2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Need a better battery. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Need a better battery. Help.

I have the 2011 FIT sport, with 11k miles on the car now.
last week, I had a flat tire on the road. I opened the trunk left it opened, and kept the blinkers on while I replacing the spare tire on the FIT.
It might took me 20 minutes for the tire changing. after it's done, the fit couldn't be started any more..
only 20 minutes without headlight, but only the trunk light!!!
what kind of car is this !!!!!
after that till now, the car won't be started itself after over night parking. I carried the jumper in the fit during the whole holiday weekend.

the battery will be under warranty?
or I might just go buy a better one by myself.
is there anyone can give me an idea, what brand I should go for, and how much around?
Thanks

Old 01-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I would imagine your battery should still be under warranty considering it's only a year old. It's odd that you'd drain the battery after such a short amount of time. Was it really cold outside?

Once you got your car started, did you drive it around for a bit so the battery could get charged up again? Hopefully you didn't have to keep using the jumper cables!

If your car continues to have issues I would take it to the dealer. You should still covered under the 3-Year/36,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by aesop
I would imagine your battery should still be under warranty considering it's only a year old. It's odd that you'd drain the battery after such a short amount of time. Was it really cold outside?

Once you got your car started, did you drive it around for a bit so the battery could get charged up again? Hopefully you didn't have to keep using the jumper cables!

If your car continues to have issues I would take it to the dealer. You should still covered under the 3-Year/36,000-Mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Regardless, the battery itself is covered warranty or not. At Acura, battries we have a 48 month full replacement warranty. (Im pretty sure it's full replacement till 48)

Old 01-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I did research, I think Honda has the battery problem on many models. They trying to save money then throw sampler amp bettery in the car, end up, the battery die fast.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Optima

I winter in VT in an area where -25 to -30 at night is not uncommon in late Jan and Feb. I put an Optima Red in my WRX and never had issues. I'll be paying close attention to the stock battery in the fit and if I need to, I'll replace again with the Optima. They are *not* cheap but then again, having a dead battery is not cheap and a headache as well.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beezle
I winter in VT in an area where -25 to -30 at night is not uncommon in late Jan and Feb. I put an Optima Red in my WRX and never had issues. I'll be paying close attention to the stock battery in the fit and if I need to, I'll replace again with the Optima. They are *not* cheap but then again, having a dead battery is not cheap and a headache as well.
What Optima battery would you put in the Fit? I checked their website and they don't make one for the Fit.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
stinger spv35

Old 01-07-2012, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by afreespirit
What Optima battery would you put in the Fit? I checked their website and they don't make one for the Fit.
group 51R with some modification to the battery tray and cables.

When the time comes I'll get another wimpy Honda (yusa) battery in the correct size.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
I might have the longest lasting OEM battery in a Fit... It has worked fine July 14 2006... There was someone with one a little older than mine awhile back but I can't recall who it was....I use a battery charger with alternating voltage that is said to break down sulfate deposits on the plates and prolongs the life of a battery..I go weeks at a time without driving the car or using the charger and it always starts right up... I have it hooked up right now, then it goes on the truck for a few hours at 6 amps followed by the Forester at 2 for overnight... It hasn't been moved since before Christmas because my wife didn't set the parking brake and it rolled down the driveway and demolished the back bumper ($900) and we have a $990 deductible... She is ashamed to drive it because it's banged up...

Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
. It hasn't been moved since before Christmas because my wife didn't set the parking brake and it rolled down the driveway and demolished the back bumper ($900) and we have a $990 deductible... She is ashamed to drive it because it's banged up...
Are you sure this wasn't a planned or subconscious thought of demolishing
the thing?... Passive/ aggressive... smash it, then say it's ugly????

Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 AM
any modifications needed to use that stinger spv35 battery in an 09-12?

Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Wink One thing you should do...

Is at least replace the trunk light with an LED replacement...it is brighter and draws less energy...I love mine, as well as LED dome and LED map lights...you can also get LED bulbs for the rear bulbs, but I am saving up to replace them with a new rear housing with LED bulbs...

Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by einstein77
Are you sure this wasn't a planned or subconscious thought of demolishing
the thing?... Passive/ aggressive... smash it, then say it's ugly????
No she loves that car and wouldn't change a thing about it.... She does have extreme passive aggressive behavior going on all of the time... She has been on vacation for 2 weeks and finally went back to work this morning and I feel so relaxed that I'd like to crawl back in bed and catch up on the sleep I haven't been getting without medicating myself with Bourbon....Unlike my 2 Ex wives, she chills out after a glass or two of wine so I make sure she has it on hand... When the body shop gets the bumper and that car is fixed she will be exuberant with happiness and I'll be able to relax..... I've never seen a person that took as good care of a car as she does and seeing it messed up has really messed her up.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:42 AM
I wondered about the tiny size of my battery when I bought the car in November???

Also, one way American cars are superior is a little $0.05 circuit built into their electrical system that shuts off all power after a certain period of time. I don't know if the Japanese have started doing this or not though?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
... medicating myself with Bourbon....Unlike my 2 Ex wives, she chills out after a glass or two of wine so I make sure she has it on hand... When the body shop gets the bumper and that car is fixed she will be exuberant with happiness and I'll be able to relax..... I've never seen a person that took as good care of a car as she does and seeing it messed up has really messed her up.
Funny!!!! I hope it all gets worked out.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357
any modifications needed to use that stinger spv35 battery in an 09-12?
not sure, i have a gd3, but circa40 runs that same battery, i don't recall him having to do any major mods to run it.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by afreespirit
well thats a bummer.. I haven't looked at this point as the car is brand new and hoped the battery would make it a bit but that brand would have been my replacement of choice.. maybe give them a call on the phone and ask what they would recommend, if anything?

Last edited by beezle; 01-11-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beezle
well thats a bummer.. I haven't looked at this point as the car is brand new and hoped the battery would make it a bit but that brand would have been my replacement of choice.. maybe give them a call on the phone and ask what they would recommend, if anything?
People have put in Optima batteries in the Fit. Someone on this forum must have the changes needed.... maybe start a new thread like, How do I install a Optima battery???

Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Trickle Charging

Had to garage my 2012 Fit for nearly a month and noticed it needed charging. I have a WeatherTech Smart Charge that recommends the battery be disconnected from the car.

I was planning on attaching the positive clamp of the charger to the positive terminal, then the negative clamp to the grounding point on the chasis (where the battery negative cable attaches). Is it OK to leave the car's cables attached to the battery during the charging process?

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJBFitting
Had to garage my 2012 Fit for nearly a month and noticed it needed charging. I have a WeatherTech Smart Charge that recommends the battery be disconnected from the car.

I was planning on attaching the positive clamp of the charger to the positive terminal, then the negative clamp to the grounding point on the chasis (where the battery negative cable attaches). Is it OK to leave the car's cables attached to the battery during the charging process?

Thanks.
Sure (leave the negative cable attached to the battery).

Just driving it will charge it too. Unless you're leaving it sit for a longer time, or it won't start, it's not necessary to use an external charger.

Quick Reply: Need a better battery. Help.