2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

side exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 AM
side exhaust

Has anyone utilized a side exhaust for the fit? It looks as if it would not be impossible to put a long round muffler (2 ft by 4 inch) just after the down pipe and put the exhaust tip just under the passengers door. This would replace alot of piping (all the axle back bends), the resonator, and the muffler. With a small amount of pipe and a high performance muffler. I know there is not that much to gain from the exhaust side <5% but in addition to resistance to fluid flow less this would also reduce alot of weight. The effect of thrust of exhaust to the right instead of behind the car is minimal. Would this ruin paint or tires? Any idea how this would sound? Any insight would be great thanks.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Loud, obnoxious, no point IMO.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:16 AM
would this be any louder than any other exhaust system that does not use a resonator?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Actually wouldn't this be alot less loud than the guys running with custom axle backs without mufflers?

Ive read that aftermarket mufflers do not get along with the stock resonator.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I knew someone that did this to a toyota matrix.

It sounded about the same as any exhaust, that removed the resonator, when you were outside of the car. (aka really loud)

When you were inside the car, it was unbearable. Especially at highway speeds with the constant drone of the exhaust right under the passenger door.

IMO don;t do it, you will hate it

Old 01-03-2012, 02:57 PM
It might look good, but that is about it. Now, if you could just make it sound like a V8!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
no... just no. This is a Fit, not some old school muscle car or a SRT-4. It will look stupid, sound stupid and you will get laughed. But hey if you want to do it, I guess go for it

Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Better torque!

Just run it out the side of the front bumper.

It will be loud.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Defintely not better torque on an NA car. It will be loud as f*ck, as well as sound and look awful.

But its your choice. Why on earth would you want to DD a slow car with a side exit exhaust? Soot builds up all over the side, you will get pulled over constantly, never pass emissions and never be able to cruise with the window open.

This is basically what I have in fabrication for my Land Speed car, but that is in the intent of making well over 800whp -
Name:  IMG_0571.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0573.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  67.3 KB

Those astute observers out there will notice my car is red, I picked a fellow DSMers comparable HX52/Side exit shots because it is basically the same exact thing, but mine will be a full 5" pipe instead of necking down to 4".

The turbine discharge Marmon-style flange on this turbo is 4.675" diameter FWIW

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-03-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Defintely not better torque on an NA car.
Just use small piping.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Just use small piping.

Really small piping!

Fighting my gut instinct to be pedantic and go on a rant about scavenging and manifolds..

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-03-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Do you guys recommend any aftermarket exhausts? It seems like headers are not really possible on the ge.... any downpipe is basically just a cat remove and then I would fail inspection... the aftermarket cat backs look like they are maybe slightly bigger piping with and some remove the resonator and adding a high flow muffler. the axle backs are basically just a different muffler. Is there no real point to exhaust changes with this car?

I mean I understand that it is still going to have 4 cylinders and sound like it ? I was just wondering if there was any way to see any real gains while still being legal and not inflicting noise on everyone else?

Also why would i get pulled over or fail inspection? Emissions would be the same (well hotter) this would not remove any emissions devices right? in terms of getting pulled over i will be "louder" but i mean even without a muffler (which I would want) i think the fit would meet sound restrictions. My friend drives a beater toyota corolla whose cat actually rusted off... The car is obnoxiously loud but he has never been pulled over for sound violation.

does longer piping reduce or change the sound at all or just put it further from the driver? (shorter piping = less resistance + less weight + less cost) If i used a resonator and a muffler i could still be well short of the rear axle and spit it out there (stock mufler prolly would not fit though). is a resonator + muffler really any better than just a very long high efficiency muffler?

thanks for your insight sorry for the dumb questions

Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I agree with this post.

But I quoted to say this:

SO MUCH BRAKE DUST.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
On the GE Fit, removing the secondary converter will not fail your emissions if checked by the OBD-II port. As the secondary sensor resides in front of the actual converter. If they do a tailpipe sniffer check, it may fail. If phyically they want to see a converter, tell them to look at the backside of your engine as the close-coupled cat sits right there.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by este7751
Do you guys recommend any aftermarket exhausts? It seems like headers are not really possible on the ge.... any downpipe is basically just a cat remove and then I would fail inspection... the aftermarket cat backs look like they are maybe slightly bigger piping with and some remove the resonator and adding a high flow muffler. the axle backs are basically just a different muffler. Is there no real point to exhaust changes with this car?

I mean I understand that it is still going to have 4 cylinders and sound like it ? I was just wondering if there was any way to see any real gains while still being legal and not inflicting noise on everyone else?

Also why would i get pulled over or fail inspection? Emissions would be the same (well hotter) this would not remove any emissions devices right? in terms of getting pulled over i will be "louder" but i mean even without a muffler (which I would want) i think the fit would meet sound restrictions. My friend drives a beater toyota corolla whose cat actually rusted off... The car is obnoxiously loud but he has never been pulled over for sound violation.

does longer piping reduce or change the sound at all or just put it further from the driver? (shorter piping = less resistance + less weight + less cost) If i used a resonator and a muffler i could still be well short of the rear axle and spit it out there (stock mufler prolly would not fit though). is a resonator + muffler really any better than just a very long high efficiency muffler?

thanks for your insight sorry for the dumb questions
I am now convinced that you aren't entirely sure what a side exit exhaust typically refers to now.. it is usually just a short straight pipe coming out the side of the car.

The header on the GE is integrated into the cylinder head and exits through a rectangular hole. It is the header/manifold that is going to be the main determinant of torque production.

The idea behind scavenging is to time and route the pulses from the ports of each cylinder to leave a low pressure area immediately behind which aids in pulling out the following pulse. This is what improves VE and power over whatever range the header/manifold was designed to operate.

Most anything you do to the GE exhaust is just going to make it louder.

In many places a visible inspection can fail you for emissions or get you ticketed. If it is beyond whatever the legal threshold for noise in your area is you can be fined.

Emissions is not about the heat emitted. It is about the constituents of the exhaust gasses and a side exit exhaust typically will not have a proper catalytic converter system, and it will change VE enough that the finnicky stock GE ECU will not like the voltage the O2 sensors and cat temp sensors will send back to it and FUBAR the tune, potentially throwing CELs, and almost certainly failing an OBD2 emissions test and definitely failing a tailpipe sniffer.

It will look retarded on a stock car and won't make you faster as the ECU will dial back all, if any, gains in airflow through any of the following: pulling timing, enriching the mixture, changing cam timing and partially closing the throttle.

All in all this is lose-lose for you.

Save your money.

The material, length, diameter, bends and connecting joints all can and will influence the sound makes. If you go this route expect a nasty raspy and sharp exhaust note.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
I agree with this post.

But I quoted to say this:

SO MUCH BRAKE DUST.
Yup and probably a good deal of soot from running rich under boost (That car made 530awhp@25psi), not to mention whatever blowby has accumulated there.

Not my car though. But no surprise you noticed the big clunky shoes he has on there.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:23 PM
[quote=DiamondStarMonsters;1061269]I am now convinced that you aren't entirely sure what a side exit exhaust typically refers to now.. it is usually just a short straight pipe coming out the side of the car.

Diamond....Side exhaust means the exaust goes to the side of the car instead of behind the car. It does not refer to straight pipe without cat or muffler. It simply means exhaust to the side instead of the back.

In my original post i clearly stated that I am not planning on removing any cat. My thought was to modify only after the downpipe containing the secondary cat. Therefore the emissions from this system would be essentially identical to a stock fit. Is there some reason I would not pass OBD so long as I keep both cats? according to 555sexydrive id pass with just the primary cat.

I do not understand how I could possibly fail an emissions test so long as I retain the cats.

Also the "visual inspection" requires that I show that I have my original emissions system, a muffler, and that the exhaust is not directed under the car. I would pass a visual inspection.

In terms of audible noise, there is no "inspection" that goes with the loudness of the car. Sound restrictions are on a town by town basis but, I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for sound violation except for reving up engines at a stop light. A big block engine with a decent exhaust is louder than the fit without a muffler. And I plan on using a long high efficiency muffler.

With the exception of being hotter, less dense, and louder the exhaust will be the same as stock. The exhaust will have the same afr. Emission wise I dont understand the issue?

I would like to know what the quietest <4" diameter by 2 ft muffler is?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
So if you are keeping both cats, all stock emissions equipment and a muffler.. WTF is the point in doing a side-exit exhaust, let alone on a 1.5L SOHC econo car?

Aftermarket cats, especially bigger cats will not clean up the NOx, sulphurs, etc. the way the stock sized ones do. A bigger pipe will also have altered the temperature of the exhaust gas by the time it gets to the cat cans and will change, often for the worse how efficient they are.

This is why you will likely fail emissions.

You do realize that the 5MT at least, has the engine winding around 3500rpm @ 70mph interstate speed. Do you really want to listen to that?

This is silly. There are no benefits to do this the way you propose and it would be ricey as hell.

It's your car, enjoy. But don't expect any gains outside of the placebo effect, and maybe gaining some laughter from fellow motorists.

I sense you will do this anyways, so go ahead and spend some money for absolutely no benefit.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-04-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 PM
In for pics.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 AM
To answer the what is the point question.....
I think the most obvious benefit of this would be weight savings.
Other benefits would be smaller major losses due to shorter pipe, smaller minor losses due to less bends, less heat transfer therefore less dense easier to push fluid, smaller minor losses due to more efficient muffler.

From a fluid dynamics stand point this system would be more efficient due to smaller head loss. The potential gain in fluid efficiency is small and expected power increase would be minimal. From a mechanical standpoint this system would be much lighter. I figure dropping a lot of weight + a gain in hp is worth investigating.
The problems with the system are obviously going to be minimizing sound and aesthetics. Gas emissions should not be effected.

Diamond why are you talking about aftermarket cats? I said I was only looking at after the downpipe.... Are you saying I need a third cat or something? (I think ur getting carried away with the idea that I should moddify the downpipe which im not sure the legality of). I know It will pass emissions so long as i keep the downpipe and everything before it and I really dont understand why you brought that up?

In terms of cost it looks like I will need the flange to connect to the downpipe a mandrel bent 90 degree pipe and a long muffler. I will need hardware to connect to the downpipe, and hardware to hang the muffler and exhaust tip. Plus my time to uninstall old system and weld this up and install it.

Ill prolly take a bit to get a good design on it before I order parts or anything but if i do it i will post the silly pictures when finished.

Last edited by este7751; 01-05-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Quick Reply: side exhaust