2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Battery charger that will work with 2012 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Battery charger that will work with 2012 Fit

Since I am going to be towing my 2012 Fit behind my motorcoach next month as I drive from here to yonder it was suggested to me that I may need a battery charger (just in case the car's battery goes dead). The car ignition is on to the first accessory position with key left in ignition, of course. Nothing will be pulling power as far as I know, but better safe than sorry.

I am not a mechanic or even the least bit mechanically inclined (like most of you experts seem to be). I found this battery charger on Amazon and wonder if this would be ideal for the 2012 Fit. Seems it's capable of solving many other types of battery problems too. I liked the price and wouldn't want to spend anymore than $31 -- I get free 2 day shipping.

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-...4753157&sr=1-1

Old 12-25-2011, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Schumacher charger. It's a good brand. I looked at your item on Amazon. It will be a good charger, but I couldn't find that it also had a jump start function... meaning that if your battery is dead you don't have to wait to charge the battery fully before starting your car. I don't know if this function is important to you.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitsGood
Since I am going to be towing my 2012 Fit behind my motorcoach next month as I drive from here to yonder it was suggested to me that I may need a battery charger (just in case the car's battery goes dead). The car ignition is on to the first accessory position with key left in ignition, of course. Nothing will be pulling power as far as I know, but better safe than sorry.

I am not a mechanic or even the least bit mechanically inclined (like most of you experts seem to be). I found this battery charger on Amazon and wonder if this would be ideal for the 2012 Fit. Seems it's capable of solving many other types of battery problems too. I liked the price and wouldn't want to spend anymore than $31 -- I get free 2 day shipping.

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC-...4753157&sr=1-1
Looks fine, battery charging is not too much rocket science and even dumb chargers will do fine-especially if this is just a short term job.

However, if you truly want a foolproof charger that you can leave on all the time, go for something with a lower rate trickle charge such as BatteryMinder or BatteryTender or something from Schumacher itself

Although this model says it is automatic, it's trickle charge looks like it will cycle on/off at 2amps. So if you leave a battery for long periods of time for unmonitored storage (like weeks/months) it can cook the battery.
The trickle chargers on the other models meant for real unmonitored continuous storage is much gentler at 200milliamps or so.

That being said it is fine for a monitored trip, and it has an indicator so you can check and attach it only when the battery has actually been discharged a bit (so not necessarily every day).

Last edited by raytseng; 12-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:04 PM
I will be towing my 2012 Fit for the 1st time - from NJ to FL - my rv tech installed a charge wire - I'm not tech savvy at all - so please excuse my lack of knowledge - but from what I understand the motorhome battery will charge the Fit battery while towing. The wire from mh battery to Fit is in the pigtail - there is a pin that isn't normally used - so all I do is connect the power cord. I do carry a battery jump, just in case. I will be curious as to how the Fit handles this first towing, 1100 miles - plan to start Fit at end of each travel day.