2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My hood is not closing properly in need of some help T_T

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
My hood is not closing properly in need of some help T_T

This morning I went to throw in some antifreeze into my car, after I was done I noticed that when I closed the hood the noise was odd when I shut it..... there was an one inch gap in between my hood! It clicks and locks into place but it looks like something seems to be blocking it from closing all the way. There doesn't seem to be anything directly hitting it from just first observations. I'm not sure what to do, has anyone experienced this before? I am totally freaking out (Also it seems like the latch itself is kind of loose not sure if that matters, anyone at all? I have no idea how to adjust a hood latch or the cost of getting it replaced, this bothers me like hell TT)

Last edited by pandayun; 12-21-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Did you, by any chance, leave the lid for the antifreeze under there? Take a good long look. Many years ago I left a small wrench on the inner fender area of a car. When I closed the hood there was a gap there. I didn't know what it was at first, but then I opened it and found the wrench in there. Check the area closest to the spot where the hood looks most out of alignment. If it is something in the way, hopefully it didn't bend the hood.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ShadowMoses
Did you, by any chance, leave the lid for the antifreeze under there? Take a good long look. Many years ago I left a small wrench on the inner fender area of a car. When I closed the hood there was a gap there. I didn't know what it was at first, but then I opened it and found the wrench in there. Check the area closest to the spot where the hood looks most out of alignment. If it is something in the way, hopefully it didn't bend the hood.
I'm certain I did not leave anything in my car, that was an initial guess too. I heard there's a way to tighten the roof latch? The sound is just so off that it seems like there is something wrong with the latch.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Make sure the prop rod is in place. It can be rotated some, and if sticking up, will prevent the hood from completely latching.

Also, it is a double latch. It grabs and then pulls it down tighter. Are you sure you pushed it all the way down? Could just be hooked on the latch, but not pushed down.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
There are a couple of black plastic bolts that stick up on each side of the same metal piece across the front of the car that the hood latch is mounted to.... Just turn them clockwise to adjust the hood lower, counter clockwise to raise the height of the hood opening.... For some reason mine did the same thing as yours.. Someone may have messed with them while you had your hood open.