2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

CARB Legal Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 AM
CARB Legal Intakes

I'm trying to find some intakes that are street legal in California, but failing badly. Can you point me in the right direction?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
Injun makes one a good one. I'd swap to a bigger K&N filter though when you get the chance. Eff cali's stupid mod laws..

Old 12-21-2011, 03:18 AM
Seriously, for my last whip, I had to swap out my intake every time a smog was required, so I'm just going legal for now.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:47 AM
Why not just leave it stock? It's not like the Fit gains any hp from aftermarket intakes.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eyefone
Why not just leave it stock? It's not like the Fit gains any hp from aftermarket intakes.
I think that the post above is true... You will gain a little power at higher RPM if you also have an aftermarket axle back pipe but you will lose more than you gain at lower and mid range RPM.. If in an urban area it will work against you requiring you to rev higher to accelerate and the intake and exhaust sound announcing to everyone that you are stepping down on the accelerator pedal might draw the attention of some chickenshit cop with no appreciation of what is music to an automotive enthusiast ear.+

Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eyefone
This is true. But tell me place where the winters don't snow, the summers barely reach 100 degrees and mountain passes are plentiful. California has its flaws but there is a reason why there are so many people here.
Its the 'Golden State" ...I want to move back ASAP...I am done with the silver state!!!

Last edited by phenoyz; 12-21-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
If I could swing it financially I would live in California in a heartbeat... I'd probably have to ride around on a bicycle or scooter to afford to get around... That would be very feasible though since you have everything you could want in close proximity... I spent 8 months there and never had to turn on heat or AC and never had trouble sleeping because it was too hot... I was really into surfing at the time and got into trouble for getting badly sunburned while on weekend pass but I carried on and stayed away from sickbay and was back at it again the next weekend.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
A few negative post's about The Golden State from people who live in Texas and Arizona, get with the program.
I told you the only intake that I knew off that was CARB legal. I even told you a modification that will make it perform a little better. And I told you briefly what I thought about california's decision to regulate car modifications. Is that "with the program"?

HP gains will be negated by the ECU within 3 days of doing anything to the engine in regards to breathability. If you want to get these gains back you MUST reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and let the car sit for about 30 minutes and then reconnect. You will notice a difference. My car will "haul ass", relatively speaking, after an ECU reset as compared to once the ECU learns and adjust the AFR back to normal. So yes you can get the inkling of power you might seek, but it does come at a cost which is taking the time out of your day every 3-4 days and reseting the ECU if you want it to constantly be there.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
I told you the only intake that I knew off that was CARB legal. I even told you a modification that will make it perform a little better. And I told you briefly what I thought about california's decision to regulate car modifications. Is that "with the program"?

HP gains will be negated by the ECU within 3 days of doing anything to the engine in regards to breathability. If you want to get these gains back you MUST reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and let the car sit for about 30 minutes and then reconnect. You will notice a difference. My car will "haul ass", relatively speaking, after an ECU reset as compared to once the ECU learns and adjust the AFR back to normal. So yes you can get the inkling of power you might seek, but it does come at a cost which is taking the time out of your day every 3-4 days and reseting the ECU if you want it to constantly be there.
I not sure its the ecu but the throttle body not opening all the way to take advantage of the extra air flow at WOT. Timing is very conservative even with premium. Resetting the ecu does work like you said and for a very short time. There also needs to be more fuel for the extra air.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I not sure its the ecu but the throttle body not opening all the way to take advantage of the extra air flow at WOT. Timing is very conservative even with premium. Resetting the ecu does work like you said and for a very short time. There also needs to be more fuel for the extra air.
DSM once mentioned that by running through the gears at wide open throttle and shifting right at red line a couple of times on every drive causes the ECU to use more ignition advance when you are driving at partial throttle and lower revs. Maybe it wasn't him but I think it was... Anyway I think whoever said it was right... If I drive my car easily all of the time I get worse performance when I do get on the throttle to pass another car and the fuel mileage isn't worth a damn either... It has been this way when bone stock and even now after the ECU reflash and 10PSI boost.... I remember reading some post by hypermilers that had a switch they could flip from the drivers seat that shut off current to the ECU when they needed to do a reset to improve economy... I'm not sure if that was here or elsewhere but whether you are into high mileage figures or high performance resetting the ECU will help you get what you want, or you can drive it like you stole it a little bit when ever you are going somewhere and in a place that is safe to do it.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
DSM once mentioned that by running through the gears at wide open throttle and shifting right at red line a couple of times on every drive causes the ECU to use more ignition advance when you are driving at partial throttle and lower revs. Maybe it wasn't him but I think it was... Anyway I think whoever said it was right... If I drive my car easily all of the time I get worse performance when I do get on the throttle to pass another car and the fuel mileage isn't worth a damn either... It has been this way when bone stock and even now after the ECU reflash and 10PSI boost.... I remember reading some post by hypermilers that had a switch they could flip from the drivers seat that shut off current to the ECU when they needed to do a reset to improve economy... I'm not sure if that was here or elsewhere but whether you are into high mileage figures or high performance resetting the ECU will help you get what you want, or you can drive it like you stole it a little bit when ever you are going somewhere and in a place that is safe to do it.
There is something to that. When I floor it the throttle body acts different for a while. I never give more than 25 percent throttle after that and I can pass cars like they are standing still at 60 mph. I see that with premium gas and the right conditions Honda has decent power but it does seem to detune just as fast too. I have a report about a four cylinder Ford I have to find and I will post it. I get very repeatable mpg but I also drive the same for the most part. I wish Hondata would come out with a FlashPro or K pro for the Fit. It could really help in mpg from what I am learning about the L1.5.

With more mid range torque you will have more power and with that power more mpg can be had.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 12-21-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
You could always jump on that Venturi Throttle Body. I just don't want to spend almost $800 on a throttle body when I'm still not sure what I'm doing with the car after it's paid off completely in about 6 months.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
Now I see why the throttle controller is so popular. $800 dollars is a lot for a new throttle body.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Texas - Do you have a throttle controller? I'm curious whether they help with the "lack of performance mode" the ECU/throttle body seems to try to stick to.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ragingti
Texas - Do you have a throttle controller? I'm curious whether they help with the "lack of performance mode" the ECU/throttle body seems to try to stick to.
If I remember correctly TC does have the throttle controller.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I wish Hondata would come out with a FlashPro or K pro for the Fit. It could really help in mpg from what I am learning about the L1.5.

With more mid range torque you will have more power and with that power more mpg can be had.

HONDATA ARE YOU LISTENING !!!! YO !!!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ragingti
They open up the throttle almost ridiculously fast in the quickest mode.. The reason the drive by wire throttle is set up to open slowly is as a means of lowering hydrocarbon emissions and better fuel mileage... In the optimal setting of the sport mode you will not get as good gas mileage as you do now but the quick response is a lot of fun.
the throttle is wide open before the pedal is to the floor... The TC also eliminates annoying rev hang.... I had to start using mine in the slowest opening economy mode to improve my fuel mileage due to the modifications I now have on my car.. When I do have it set on the sport mode I need to use one of the slower setting or I am going to light up the front tires when taking of from signal lights if in the quicker settings... I have had mine disconnected for awhile and I need to hook it back up to use the economy mode to cut back on fuel use before gas prices jump up again.+

Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
I just got a yellow emissions slip in the mail today for my Fit. Which has me scratching my head a bit.. bought in 2008, ULEV sticker on the window and I have to go for emissions in March of next year?

But my cat-less, gallons per mile DSM is exempt because its pre-1996 LOL

Old 12-22-2011, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I just got a yellow emissions slip in the mail today for my Fit. Which has me scratching my head a bit.. bought in 2008, ULEV sticker on the window and I have to go for emissions in March of next year?

But my cat-less, gallons per mile DSM is exempt because its pre-1996 LOL
4 years is about right, I never have a car long enough to worry about that. After the next inspection you have 2 years I think and no more rollers so it just plug in and pass.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Wow, every 2 to 4 years? Here in PA we have to do it every year, 96 & up is an OBD test, 86-95 is a tailpipe/visual check, 76-85 is a gas cap test.

Quick Reply: CARB Legal Intakes