2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cargo Cover question, going to order as soon as possible

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Cargo Cover question, going to order as soon as possible

I was thinking about not putting holes into the back seats if i got the cargo cover, will it stay put with the windows open just sitting there in the wind? and does it make alot of rattle noise if i played a subwoofer in the back?

I have a subwoofer now and I kinda wanted to get a cargo cover to hide what i have back there... but i kinda don't wanna put holes into the seats.. does anyone know if it works ok with out putting holes into the seats? i like to keep my windows down and i don't want it blowing around.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:39 AM
you don't have to put the flap on at all if you don't want to. you can easily separate the flap and shelf part by popping out the pins (you'll see what I mean when you get yours). just put on the shelf part and recline the rear seats and nobody can see what's back there.

I've got a sub back there, too and the cover doesn't rattle at all. if anything, it helps reduce road noise in the rear.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Not that it looks like it will matter for your '09, but on the 2012 (base, at least), the rear seats don't recline.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:28 AM
I had the cargo cover in my EP3 with a subwoofer (Kicker S12L7 and 1040RMS watts), and the cover did not rattle.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
I hated the idea of drilling the seats, so I've never had the flap in.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:57 AM
The 2012 version does not have the flap that snaps in. The item number ends in 111 instead of 110. Without the flap, the back seats need to be reclined so there is no gap between the seats and the cover.
The seats recline in my 2012 sport.
Sorry, I haven't had the cover long enough to comment about how it performs with the windows open, but I don't anticipate any problems.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Other option - get a nice tint job instead of the cargo cover. Not sure what you can manage there with local tint laws though.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
You're not so much drilling a hole as just putting in a screw. They're self-tapping and pretty short.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
I have the cargo cover in my 2010 and never snap the snaps. Once I learned the rear seats recline, I have kept them in that position. The flap is useless to me. I'd get the 2012 cover unless you ever have plans to install the snaps and use the flap--it is a p.i.t.a. since it unsnaps & you need to re-snap it anytime you want to fold the seats down.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
Other option - get a nice tint job instead of the cargo cover. Not sure what you can manage there with local tint laws though.
Or get both. Untinted windows are for cop cars.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
i

Originally Posted by sooznd
I have the cargo cover in my 2010 and never snap the snaps. Once I learned the rear seats recline, I have kept them in that position. The flap is useless to me. I'd get the 2012 cover unless you ever have plans to install the snaps and use the flap--it is a p.i.t.a. since it unsnaps & you need to re-snap it anytime you want to fold the seats down.
I suppose you walk around with your pants undone because its such a p.i.t.a. to snap them. just kidding. Really though, I'm constantly moving my seats around either showing them off or xporting cargo or autocrossing and reinstalling the cover. btw, tinting is a must in Florida between the compressor cycling on and off @idle and the greenhouse that we all drive around in.

Last edited by unfit2compete; 12-18-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
so theres a gap in between if you don't snap the snaps on?????

so get the 2012 version of the cargo cover? will it be gapless? what do i have to do? any pics?? 120bux is a prety good investment for me and i wold really appreciate it if someone could show me some pics before i order it..

iam just scared to order the 2012 and not have it work or something.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by unfit2compete
I suppose you walk around with your pants undone because its such a p.i.t.a. to snap them. just kidding. Really though, I'm constantly moving my seats around either showing them off or xporting cargo or autocrossing and reinstalling the cover. btw, tinting is a must in Florida between the compressor cycling on and off @idle and the greenhouse that we all drive around in.
LOL --It's easier to use a zipper!! My rear seats are almost always in the folded up position anyway. I think Honda realized their design flaw on the cargo cover with the previous GE8 models and remedied it with the 2012 model.

If the interior size of the 2012 is the same which I assume it is, the 2012 cover will be more practical. And highly recommend the tinting as well. the cargo cover is a nice storage shelf.

Last edited by sooznd; 12-18-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:27 AM
The gap is negligible, it's there because the rear seats recline. It's less if the rear seats are reclined. What will they see through a 1/2-1 inch gap? I bought the 2012 version for my '10 Sport.

The rear cargo is tinted 20, rear doors 30.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101

would 20% tint do the job? i was thinking about tinting my back with 20%. i currently have 35% now and you can clearly see inside the back almost on a bright day

if 20% is blacked out, then i might do that instead... the cost of cargo cover and tint will run me about the same, because iam only tinting the back

Last edited by Vash; 12-18-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
would 20% tint do the job? i was thinking about tinting my back with 20%. i currently have 35% now and you can clearly see inside the back almost on a bright day

if 20% is blacked out, then i might do that instead... the cost of cargo cover and tint will run me about the same, because iam only tinting the back

ok guys so whats the deal? should i order the cargo cover and not putting any clips and screws on? or will 20% tint be dark enough to cover the back? I just wanna do one of those options. If i did the tint, i would just do the back seats and hatch area 20%

Old 12-18-2011, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
It's honestly up to you. Judging by the links in your signature I'd just go for the cargo cover since your windows are already tinted, unless you were planning on retinting anyways. I'm kinda in the same position since my car came with the back windows already tinted to about 35%, but I'm going with the cargo cover so I know thieves can't see my sub at all.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
definitely get the tint either way. tape the flap up under the cargo cover and drive around for a while. then decide whether to cut it off, install it correctly(my suggestion) or leave it taped/secured to the underside of the hard shell part. Unmentioned in this thread is the awesome molded in channel to store a golf umbrella.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Vash, I have 5% tint and a cargo cover. I can't stand how the interior panels back there are obviously made for the cargo cover but the car doesn't include one. That was why I bought a cover.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
It's honestly up to you. Judging by the links in your signature I'd just go for the cargo cover since your windows are already tinted, unless you were planning on retinting anyways. I'm kinda in the same position since my car came with the back windows already tinted to about 35%, but I'm going with the cargo cover so I know thieves can't see my sub at all.

ahhh yeah i know what you mean.. i might end up doing both now... cuz i really want it mini van style tint in the back with 20% in the back, and 35% in the front..i have 35% all around right now.. and i just can't stand it.. i wish i would have tinted the back...

so i guess its cargo cover for sure... from collegehills unless can suggest me a better place to get one for cheaper perhaps??

thanks for all the help guys.. atleast i'll be legal still tint wise if i keptthe 35% technically our cars aren't considered SUV's or Wagons... Scion Xb's are so lucky.. cuz its such a small car and they count it as WAGON and the HHR counts as a truck... so they have their windows tinted in the back as dark as they want almost.

atleast thats how it is for NC laws

Quick Reply: Cargo Cover question, going to order as soon as possible