2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My car was broken into last night. Broke my passenger window. What should it cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 AM
My car was broken into last night. Broke my passenger window. What should it cost?

It was a raining night. They busted my 09 bases fits passenger window and grabbed the crappy gps worth 50 bucks or less. No way they can sell that on the street its so old.

They could of took 15 bucks cash or a cd case with 100 cd's, but NOOOO

People the rule is to please take your gps off the window and hide it.

I learned the hard way, so please dont tell me how dumb I was to have it showing.

The cop told me he uses safelite.com . I went there and got a quote and its Web-Only Price: $334.95
(includes labor, before tax and service fee(s)) >>> seems a bit expensive

I made a police report, and they broke into another car next to mine also. I dont think I will call my insurance since its a 500 deductible. I will call them to make sure, but Im 90% sure.

does 335 sound high??

Old 12-07-2011, 05:56 AM
I called geico my insurance company. I cant go back in time, but I did tweak my policy.

for 60 bucks a year more, I now have ZERO deductible for Comprehensive , I had 500. : Comprehensive coverage pays for loss or damage to your vehicle caused by fire, theft, vandalism, hail, windstorm, riot, falling objects, flood, collision with an animal, and other events as stated in your policy contract.

For 150 bucks a year more I went from 500 to 100 deductible for collision . Collision coverage pays for accidental damage to your insured vehicle caused by collision with another vehicle or stationary object. Collision does not pay for incidents covered under Comprehensive (such as theft, fire, or collision with an animal). Collision pays for reasonable repair, towing, and storage costs. If repairing your vehicle is not reasonable, this coverage pays you the actual cash value of the vehicle

Last edited by FIT410S; 12-07-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:44 AM
here is a better quote. Passenger's Side Front Door Glass Installed Price: $214.62

Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 AM
safelite charges so much more, and they say its because the honda fit is a newer car and they dont have much in stock. what a joke, since others are smaller then then and charge much less

Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
but shouldnt the replacement of any window be free to do? like i know the insurance companies will do 1 window free of charge..? i know i got my windshield replace for free after getting a rock to crack my windshield from my road trip to nyc. idk that sucks that they broke into ur car man. i hate those bastards

Old 12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Sorry to hear about your window. I feel you pain as I just went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago after a rock on the highway busted out the same window in my car (front passanger).

Like you I wasnt happy paying $300+ to get it fixed. Anyway, I ended up finding a OEM glass at a local junk yard for $60 and installed it myself. I think Bernardi Honda has new OEM glass for like $170 shipped. Once you have the window it is actualy quite easy to replace it. Will prob take you an hour. I'm not sure how handy you are, but send me a PM if you want help going down this route. I can show you where to find the Honda Service manual that outlines the procedure.

I actualy have my doors sealed with aluminum flashing and a few layers of sound dampening materials which made my perticular situation a bit more of a PITA.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by jdmjunkie561
but shouldnt the replacement of any window be free to do? like i know the insurance companies will do 1 window free of charge..? i know i got my windshield replace for free after getting a rock to crack my windshield from my road trip to nyc. idk that sucks that they broke into ur car man. i hate those bastards
free? well after i tweaked my policy it will be free next time

i think this time of year brings out the crooks in people needing cash for xmas gifts . ironic

Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by jcuecker
Sorry to hear about your window. I feel you pain as I just went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago after a rock on the highway busted out the same window in my car (front passanger).

Like you I wasnt happy paying $300+ to get it fixed. Anyway, I ended up finding a OEM glass at a local junk yard for $60 and installed it myself. I think Bernardi Honda has new OEM glass for like $170 shipped. Once you have the window it is actualy quite easy to replace it. Will prob take you an hour. I'm not sure how handy you are, but send me a PM if you want help going down this route. I can show you where to find the Honda Service manual that outlines the procedure.

I actualy have my doors sealed with aluminum flashing and a few layers of sound dampening materials which made my perticular situation a bit more of a PITA.
thanks bra, but i know nothing about this stuff. 214.00 installed is a go.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
I'm sorry that your car got broken into. Hope they leave you alone from now on.

Geico also offers full glass coverage, which doesn't cost a lot, and is good to get on the Fit, since our windshield seems especially prone to cracks. It won't help you with a break in, but if you spend time on the highway a rock will eventually crack your glass, and there's no deductible at all on it.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
for 60 bucks a year more, I now have ZERO deductible for Comprehensive , I had 500. : Comprehensive coverage pays for loss or damage to your vehicle caused by fire, theft, vandalism, hail, windstorm, riot, falling objects, flood, collision with an animal, and other events as stated in your policy contract....

The window cost me 220 bucks, but next time it will be FREE, and hopefully if you take my advice it will be free for you also.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:35 PM
all fixed. the guy came to me. did it while it was raining. did a great job.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:36 PM
A note to the OP:
It's not really worth the extra money on collision protection, as any damage done to your car is going to be way more than $100. A simple tow could come close to that. That extra $150 per year could be much better spent.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM

# 8. Bernardi parts has it for $111.52.... Remember that you will be paying for labor with all these other people. I would just replace it myself...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 PM
sorry to hear about the break-in. i know how you feel. i came out to my car one morning to find my window shattered and everything missing too. I was upset when i found out the replacement window was about $200, BUT i was more pissed off when i found out that a piece on the window motor broke.

Apparently this is common when a window is broken, that some parts of the motor may have also been broken/cracked due to the impact which the window may have gone through. Unfortunately, pieces for window motors are not sold individually. A plastic piece on mine (couldnt be valued at more than $5) broke, and i ended up having to buy a whole new motor for close to $300(+ cost of window)!!! good luck, an experienced shop should check to make sure you dont JUST need a new window.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 PM
"The window cost me 220 bucks, but next time it will be FREE"
It won't exactly be free, it will cost you an additional $60 per year.

"For 150 bucks a year more I went from 500 to 100 deductible for collision ."

Unless you are a bad driver, this doesn't sound like such a great deal. Over 2 and 2/3 years you will be guaranteed to pay $400 in increased premiums, whether you have an accident or not. With the 500 vs 100 deductible, it will only cost you that $400 if you have an accident. Also, depending on where you live, many body shops will bill the repair in such a way that you don't have to pay the deductible.

I also have geico, and I have a $500 deductible comprehensive with 0 deductible for glass. The offerings may vary from state to state though.

The real crappy part is having a window broken on a RAINY night. Definitely sucks, hope you don't have to deal with that again.