2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Stick on spoiler for base

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Stick on spoiler for base

Has anyone tried this one? Honda Fit Jazz Trunk Boot Spoiler Rear Factory OE Style 2007-2011 | eBay

Old 12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
  • Installation is completely reversible, just drive fast!! therefore will not leave permanent mark.
lol'ed..

Old 12-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Garuanteed to fly off at 80 MPH or your money back!

Spend the extra couple bucks, and get an OE spoiler- they're out there, and they DON'T stick on Mark W.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
agreed. dont go for this. you might have good luck at a junk yard finding one that isnt damaged and already your color.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah get the OEM spoiler. Not worth it for the stick on. Least not for me anyways.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Here you go- not an OEM, but at least not stick-on!
2009-2010 Honda Fit Factory Style Rear Spoiler
Mark W.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Ive put window visors on cars with the 3m tape and they stay on forever. Why would a spoiler be any different? Bigger? yes but im sure there is a much bigger strip of 3m tape. Has anyone put a spoiler on a base and drilled into thier brand new car?? Did everything go ok? any rust forming where you drilled?

Old 12-26-2011, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357
Ive put window visors on cars with the 3m tape and they stay on forever. Why would a spoiler be any different? Bigger? yes but im sure there is a much bigger strip of 3m tape. Has anyone put a spoiler on a base and drilled into thier brand new car?? Did everything go ok? any rust forming where you drilled?
I refuse to trust tape to hold something like a spoiler on when Im doing 85-90 mph. I'd rather drill baby drill than trust some adhesive.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't use stick-on spoilers... because I think the material of the spoiler vs the visor also plays a role.

Visors, while stiff, can still flex a little... allowing it to absorb some of the wind forces acting on it, without affecting the car much. It's not supposed to push or pull the car in any direction.

Spoilers, on the other hand, are much stiffer and designed to push down or pull up the car itself. Now, if the force were just to push down on the car... you should have much better chances of it staying on.

But the spoiler on the Fit is more of a lift force (though not much) due to the slope. It's real purpose is probably more of a drag reducer by providing a clean break from the air flowing over the car... again, probably minor in effect.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I just read the 3m vhb(very high bond) double sided tape is so strong its used on aircraft where nuts and bolts would add too much weight. Also to hold ambulance fiberglass bodies to the frame. Im not sure if that ebay seller sends the spoiler with vhb tape or regular 3m double sided tape but if its vhb tape I would trust it. Our fit cannot reach speeds of an airplane...

Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
True, but is this seller using anywhere near those grades of tape? Doubtful. Also, those applications are DESIGNED for use of tape. Also, are they doing wind tunnel testing to determine perfect placement, length, width, and direction of the tape, as I'm certain is done in aeronautical applications? No way. Am I thinking overkill? Probably. But I give my advice based on what I'd recommend for my customers, friends, and family, and stick-on aero bits don't cut it, especially when a proper OE replacement that attaches like factory is available. If Honda didn't tape it on, why should you? Mark W.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by thaduke2003
Here you go- not an OEM, but at least not stick-on!
2009-2010 Honda Fit Factory Style Rear Spoiler
Mark W.
Does the 2009-2010 spoiler work for the 2012 base fits as well?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Even if you tell me they're using VHB tape... having a bolt-on is a bit more piece of mind. Last thing I need is an insurance claim against me about a piece of plastic smacking into someone or something.

Usually, when bolt-on pieces come loose, you can see some slack. Or even hear it move around. You can than look for the cause of the noise. But tape... you might not see it coming loose... and usually by its soft nature, it prevents smacking noises.

Originally Posted by Blissx21
Does the 2009-2010 spoiler work for the 2012 base fits as well?
Looking through Bernardi parts... for the colors that match in 2010 and 2012, they list the same part# for the spoiler, so I would say yes... spoilers that work on 2009-2010 should work on 2012.

Last edited by Goobers; 01-03-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Also, I forgot to mention, tape when removed tends to damage paint. While paint under a removed bolt-on spoiler will likely be off-colored compared with the paint around it (assuming some years passed) due to lack of UV exposure, paint under tape can be any type of damaged- and usually in need of some work. Another reason I wouldn't recommend it- Mark W.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thaduke2003
Also, I forgot to mention, tape when removed tends to damage paint. While paint under a removed bolt-on spoiler will likely be off-colored compared with the paint around it (assuming some years passed) due to lack of UV exposure, paint under tape can be any type of damaged- and usually in need of some work. Another reason I wouldn't recommend it- Mark W.
Hum... at that point, it's all about the same... you have damaged paint or discolored paint... both requires some kind of effort to correct.

Though, as a "pro" for stick-on, now you don't have a gaping hole where the bolts would've been.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Hum... at that point, it's all about the same... you have damaged paint or discolored paint... both requires some kind of effort to correct.

Though, as a "pro" for stick-on, now you don't have a gaping hole where the bolts would've been.
yea no holes, just an insurance claim if it comes off. you guys can make claims all you like for tape, but from my experiences i wouldn't trust just tape. my JDP rear diffuser was bearly holding on with just tape, i finally just drilled it and bolted it up.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM
I did a lot of research before I dove into this DIY. Security was my number 1 priority. I ended up buying from this dude:

PAINTED HONDA FIT 2009 2010 FACTORY SYTLE SPOILER WING | eBay Really nice quality OEM style spoiler.

I also bought this:

45 Piece Threaded Insert Riveter Kit

All I did was (do it with a buddy, It'll make your life light years easier) :

1: Dry fit the spoiler on hatch and measure (I measured like 4x), drill holes
Note: Painter's tape would prevent scratching hatch
2: Drill holes with small pilot bit, (whatever you prefer)
3: Enlarge holes with this:

Titanium Nitride Coated Steel Step Drill Bit Set

I had used 1/4 size rivet, so I enlarge holes as appropriate.

4: I bought bolts that would fit the rivet and matching washers, metal on top of spoiler and rubber under the spoiler to avoid water leak. I also used regular kitchen silicone, again to avoid leak and avoid rusting of drilled area.

Total working time was may be 1 hr. We were working slow and taking our time. PM me for any other ?. I hope this helps your decision.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:39 PM
My biggest reason for wanting to use the tape is rust issues down the road. Ive seen cars where the paint gets chipped from an accident or rocks and it rusts very quick. Do you need to spray clearcoat around the holes after you drill them or anything?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by matt1357
My biggest reason for wanting to use the tape is rust issues down the road. Ive seen cars where the paint gets chipped from an accident or rocks and it rusts very quick. Do you need to spray clearcoat around the holes after you drill them or anything?
I'd rather deal with rust than potentially losing a rather large piece of my tailgate on a busy highway at 80 mph.

But, if you want piece of mind, you can clearcoat it if you choose. No matter what you do, you'll need to seal the spot (rubber washer), so water doesn't get inside the tailgate either. If your seal is good, then unpainted metal (inside the seal) should last quite a while.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by wakali
I did a lot of research before I dove into this DIY. Security was my number 1 priority. I ended up buying from this dude:

PAINTED HONDA FIT 2009 2010 FACTORY SYTLE SPOILER WING | eBay Really nice quality OEM style spoiler.

I also bought this:

45 Piece Threaded Insert Riveter Kit

All I did was (do it with a buddy, It'll make your life light years easier) :

1: Dry fit the spoiler on hatch and measure (I measured like 4x), drill holes
Note: Painter's tape would prevent scratching hatch
2: Drill holes with small pilot bit, (whatever you prefer)
3: Enlarge holes with this:

Titanium Nitride Coated Steel Step Drill Bit Set

I had used 1/4 size rivet, so I enlarge holes as appropriate.

4: I bought bolts that would fit the rivet and matching washers, metal on top of spoiler and rubber under the spoiler to avoid water leak. I also used regular kitchen silicone, again to avoid leak and avoid rusting of drilled area.

Total working time was may be 1 hr. We were working slow and taking our time. PM me for any other ?. I hope this helps your decision.
Do you have a picture of the spoiler after you installed it?

Quick Reply: Stick on spoiler for base