2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Headlamps, so many, which ones to choose.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Question Headlamps, so many, which ones to choose.

Alright, New to the forum . So I've been wanted some new headlamps on my Fit but i don't even know where to start on which Kind I should be getting. I was thinking of some halogens, but if this is a bad choice do let me know. Also, i don't have a huge budget to work with. Any suggestions?

-Dazed.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Newbie Also...

Just picked up black 2012 Fit Sport on Tuesday, itching to do taillamps and headlamps. Have ordered package tray, pedals, leather shift knob, and door sills. Thinking of ordering Xenon HID Headlight Bulb - Low & High Beam - they
re cheap and I kinda like to black trim headlights on mine.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
See i with thinking of Xenon too but I didn't really look into them much.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Retrofit or don't do HID's. Blinding everyone on the road isn't cool or necessary. OP try adjusting the aim on the headlights if you haven't already. That made a huge difference for me before I retrofitted since they were aimed about half a foot too low from the factory.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Ahh, I never thought about doing that. I'll try that to see if that makes them look any better. Really that's what I'm looking for. Some Headlamps that would look great on the FIT.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jamy
Retrofit or don't do HID's. Blinding everyone on the road isn't cool or necessary. OP try adjusting the aim on the headlights if you haven't already. That made a huge difference for me before I retrofitted since they were aimed about half a foot too low from the factory.
Agreed. Stay away from HIDs unless you do the retro fit.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
If you can't budget a few hundred for good lighting, how did you budget a newer car?

Just asking...

Old 12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Look at PIAA's.

They make bulbs that have a 100-130w brightness while still only being 55/60w.

I have the Plasma Ion Yellow H4's that have a 2500k low beam and a normal white high beam (theres some yellow in there too but its really high up and you cant tell unless your facing a wall from 200 feet back.)

They are absolutely astounding bulbs imo. It was $65 a bulb for me (Im Canadian and pretty north so factor that in) and well worth the money.

PIAA

Look at those.

Buy a set.

Fuck HID's. Those are for bitches. Halogens ftw.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cipher
Fuck HID's. Those are for bitches. Halogens ftw.
You sir make me el oh el. A decent set of 35w HID projectors put out more light than your 55/60w halogen bulbs ever will.

You have your opinion. I'll stick with facts.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Agreed in all points.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:24 PM
You sir make me el oh el. A decent set of 35w HID projectors put out more light than your 55/60w halogen bulbs ever will.

You have your opinion. I'll stick with facts.
If you we're reading my Halogens are a 100/110w because of the gas they use.

My room mate has a set of HID's in his 240 and they're not any brighter then my lights.

That and for the price I have High/Low beams while the same price you wont get HID's with high/low.

So please, tell everyone I've blinded with my Halogens that they're not as bright as HID's.

EDIT:

By blind I mean having the high beams on while cruising down the highway. I got flashed by trucks numerous times about 500 feet back for having them on. >.>

Last edited by Cipher; 12-03-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cipher
If you we're reading my Halogens are a 100/110w because of the gas they use.

My room mate has a set of HID's in his 240 and they're not any brighter then my lights.

That and for the price I have High/Low beams while the same price you wont get HID's with high/low.

So please, tell everyone I've blinded with my Halogens that they're not as bright as HID's.

EDIT:

By blind I mean having the high beams on while cruising down the highway. I got flashed by trucks numerous times about 500 feet back for having them on. >.>
It's one thing to have halogen bulbs like what u have, it's another to have the cheap plug and play hid kit and then it's another to have projector hids! Which is the best thing u can do! But that's what he was trying to explain !
Name:  DSC_0222.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  104.9 KB
Name:  4b08ff92.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  215.1 KB

Old 12-03-2011, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
You said " 100-130w brightness while still only being 55/60w" meaning they are 55/60 watt bulbs. Not 100w.

As for your buddy with hid's in his 240. I doubt he is retrofitted properly. He is probably using an $80 plug and play kit that came with some cheap HID bulbs and even cheaper ballast in a halogen reflector bowl.

You're statement of "Fuck HID's. Those are for bitches. Halogens ftw." is funny. If halogens were that much better, then car makers would still be using them instead of switching to OEM HID PROJECTORS. I think what you meant to say was HID's aren't for the cheap. They are only for people who want to put out a hella lot of light and get rid of their halogen setups which aren't up to par.

I don't care what you use in your car dude. Just don't come in here saying things with out any facts to back it up.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
If you can't budget a few hundred for good lighting, how did you budget a newer car?

Just asking...
Well I can do it but I just didn't want anything way too pricey you know?

But thanks everyone for your input. I'll do some more research on what you've all said and probably post some pics soon.

Last edited by Dazed; 12-03-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Dazed
Well I can do it but I just didn't want anything way too pricey you know?

But thanks everyone for your input. I'll do some more research on what you've all said and probably post some pics soon.
Thank you for being civil. I didn't mean to seem condescending with what I said.

With that in mind, the basic kit these guys are using to retrofit start at $295 shipped in the US.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Oh no problem man, no hard Feelings. Thanks for the price too. I thought it would be more than that honestly haha.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:28 AM
H4 PLASMA YELLOW XTRA TWIN BEAM

PIAA’s patented Ion Crystal technology is a great way to improve your visibility in inclement weather. Ion Crystal puts out an amber/yellow light that is less reflective than white light thus greatly reducing the amount of glare in extreme fog.
Single Pack 14561
Bulb Type H4
Wattage 60/55w = 110/100w XTRA
Technology XTRA Twin Beam
Clear High/Plasma Ion Low

From PIAA also.

XTRA
A PIAA term used to designate high efficiency bulbs that are designed to produce greater light output than its rated power consumption. (Example 55watts = 85watts of light output)

In a conventional car with a headlamp designed for a Halogen bulb I think thats the way you should go with and stick with.

Retrofitting wont be nearly as cheap as a GOOD set of Halogen bulbs and some people may not want to pay for a set to be retrofitted or have the skill to do it themselves.

From what I've seen with my Fit my bulbs are AMAZING and preform better then some OEM HID's at a fraction of the cost of a SINGLE HID bulb (Using my knowledge of the cost of a OEM Volkswagen/Audi Xenon bulb.)

...But yeah his HID kit is a shitty PnP $80 kit that he doesnt like... He only bought it because he cant find any TRUE 110w Halogens. He rewired his car to run 110w bulbs and unfortunately he ran outta his Hella 110w yellow bulbs. And with Hella having the 110w H4 bulb in yellow discontinued, he thought he'd try the HID kit as there was a group buy and he got them for $65 shipped...

Still for the situation here Halogens are probably the way to go. Especially with OP not wanting to drop big money on lighting.

Also, for us non sport model users running the twin beam PIAA's mean I can get a low beam that cuts through snow and weather while providing awesome road definition and a very bright high beam that's white for seeing everything. (Because we dont have fogs I like having a 2500k low beam)

Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
^^ You're fighting a losing battle here. HID setups are superior than halogen and yes, they do cost more.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
^^ You're fighting a losing battle here. HID setups are superior than halogen and yes, they do cost more.
Eh, He's not calling retrofitted HID's shit in comparison to a halogen bulb so I'm happy. And If the OP really wants a cheap and easy solution then the best thing he could do is re-aim the headlights and maybe get some brighter bulbs. I just don't like the PIAA bulbs be cause I've heard of them having issues with long usage. The last set a buddy of mine had only lasted 4 months before the burned out. Anyways, Just and example for one of the guys on HIDPlanet. Name:  bIMG_3927.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  64.2 KB

No halogen bulb can ever do this. Not even on high beams. But yes. This kind of setup is about $315. It is what it is. I say get what best suits your needs OP.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
hid's in the fit headlights = big no no
Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  24.3 KB

that was with the low beams on only, and it still glared like a mother. i had them aimed all the way down and i could still see the top of trees. i ripped my kit out after the first night, stick with halogens unless you can afford to retro. from my research, philips is the halogen to go with for best visibility.

Quick Reply: Headlamps, so many, which ones to choose.