2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

First Post, Bad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Do you have the high boost kit? A forced induction car getting over 30 MPG is pretty sick!

Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
You realize that when you are not in boost, it is still a 1.5l 4 banger?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
I'm still figuring out how to hypermile in my Fit. I've had it for almost two months. The AT is a drag---I would definitely be shifting at different times than the AT does.
Try BP premium, run the tank low and fill up. The car wont down shift as much and it will be easier to hypermile.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I have to try that on the wife's car. Its running worse than a diesel truck right now but does start OK.
Filled it up near work with BP premium and it runs like my car now. It was easier to drive, quieter and no more rough idle.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'm still figuring out how to hypermile in my Fit. I've had it for almost two months. The AT is a drag---I would definitely be shifting at different times than the AT does.
Do what this guy does: 50mpg Honda Accord automatic.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
I used to get 28-29 mpg when I first got her, I'm a big guy and threw on 205 50 16's so that brought it down to 28.

These days I am at 25mpg but it is due to a problem I am still looking for with my ultraguage, some sound advice from Mr. K Cardinal and google...since my fuel trims are out of wack my car is burning through fuel...

my advice is keep an eye on your mileage and driving style while you are still in warranty, if you find yourself around my range, get yourself an ultra guage and pay attention to your Short term fuel trims....

this is if it gets way worse....

Old 11-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Ok something has to happen, i'm seriously considering taking the fit back and getting something better. Mixed driving, purely mixed, highway, twists, city, and city around here is not a real city, by city I mean maybe 3 stop lights off the highway. After changing my dirty air filter and putting my tires at 40psi, all of this happened over 3/4 of a tank, and I got 25mpg. Stayed out of vtec most of the time, haven't been on it hard, been trying to baby it other than when I have to drive it normal just to get on the highway, something here is wrong.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Fuel Mileage

Just got my 2012 Honda Fit Sport with the automatic transmission. The first tank returned 35.6 MPG based on gallons to fill divide by miles drive. This tank was a 50/50 combination of around town and interstate.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
It's not the car's fault if you don't know how to drive economically.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
It's not the car's fault if you don't know how to drive economically.
yeah look, if you had actually taken the time to read my post you'd know thats not true. I have been able to get 27mpg average in a heavily modified 05 mustang, but sure, being a unhelpful ass is always the way to go on the internet right.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by dick_larimore
Just got my 2012 Honda Fit Sport with the automatic transmission. The first tank returned 35.6 MPG based on gallons to fill divide by miles drive. This tank was a 50/50 combination of around town and interstate.
Great mileage! Enjoy your new Fit!

Old 11-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by coffenbacher
yeah look, if you had actually taken the time to read my post you'd know thats not true. I have been able to get 27mpg average in a heavily modified 05 mustang, but sure, being a unhelpful ass is always the way to go on the internet right.
Just ignore those you want to criticize you. Will you be able to take the Fit back and have the dealer looker at it?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Yes ignore criticism. You wouldn't want to accidently learn anything.

I mean its inconceivable that a 1.5l honda with a drastically different powerband might require a different style of driving to be economical than a 4.6l ford.

If that is being an ass, you need thicker skin. All the other folks averaging mid 30's and more are clearly making it up.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Yes ignore criticism. You wouldn't want to accidently learn anything.

I mean its inconceivable that a 1.5l honda with a drastically different powerband might require a different style of driving to be economical than a 4.6l ford.

If that is being an ass, you need thicker skin. All the other folks averaging mid 30's and more are clearly making it up.
Just saying that you really don't know whether someone is driving "economically" unless they've given you information that informs you one way or the other. I can always learn something new, and so can you.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Just ignore those you want to criticize you. Will you be able to take the Fit back and have the dealer looker at it?
You mean laugh at it. Unless there is codes that is what they do. That is why we are so serious about this.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
It's not like the poster in question hasn't made about a dozen posts in this thread informing of us of the situation.. next to no one is as proficient a pilot as they like to convince themselves. I learn more everytime I go the track.

And with respect to economy, I actually calibrate engines on a routine basis. This is something with which I am wholly familiar.

Operation habits, commute, fuel and environment all have an affect. There are exceedingly few circumstances under which the Fit would not return AT MINIMUM it's EPA sticker mileage.

None of which have been described so far.

It is also quite unlikely there are mechanical/electrical issues hurting his mileage.

If he bothered to do a cursory search of this forum he would find a wealth of information, albeit poorly organized. Instead he chooses to come to this thread.

He could check for vacuum leaks, bad coil packs, plugs, valve lash, etc. Pick up a scan gauge/tool and get an actual read out of data from the ECU via the OBDII port. Yet he hasn't and there is nothing in his posts indicative of a fault in the car.

That leaves the need for a "driver mod." Additionally, if he bought the car a few weeks ago the engine would not be broken in yet either.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 11-24-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:45 PM
I've filled up for the third time since buying my Fit. My first tank I didn't calculate because I didn't know exactly where the dealer filled the tank to, it appeared full, but there was no real way to tell.

I go to the same gas station, and use the same pump. I let it fill itself until it clicks and no more.

My second tank was 33.1MPG, both calculated and indicated.

The third tank came up at 33.2 indicated and 33.3 calculated.

This tank is looking great. I'm hovering right around 36.0 indicated, so it will be nice to know it's getting better, even though my daily commute is all city for maybe 10-12 minutes each way. I only see highway driving on the weekends. I do not hyper mile, and when I get on the highway, I like to be at traffic speed or higher, so I even go WOT a little bit here and there!

All in all, I couldn't be happier with my results so far!

Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
It's not like the poster in question hasn't made about a dozen posts in this thread informing of us of the situation.. next to no one is as proficient a pilot as they like to convince themselves.

I actually calibrate engines on a routine basis. This is something with which I am wholly familiar.

In the unlikely event there is an actual issue, that doesn't necessarily vindicate his driving either. Operation habits, commute, fuel and environment all have an affect. There are exceedingly few circumstances under which the Fit would not return AT MINIMUM it's EPA sticker mileage.

None of which have been described so far.
There are things they can do but not if they wont listen. I bet there going to say it was the Air filter that lowered his mpg. I agree that more info is needed but trying to save gas usually puts the engine into higher loads using more gas because the engine is not spinning fast enough. The faster the motor spins the more efficient the burn when there is knock retard with enrichment at lower rpms so not driving without the vtec is actually hurting his mpg unless he uses a good premium gas.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 AM
So finding the sweet spot is trial and error? Spinning the engine, and yet not spinning it too much?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
So finding the sweet spot is trial and error? Spinning the engine, and yet not spinning it too much?
Basically and it is different for everyone. As a reality of mass production every car has inherent differences. This is magnified by the myriad conditions and stresses they are subjected to out in the wild.

On my current 17mile (each direction commute) I am returning about 340 miles a tank before the light comes on, and that is with a good amount of stop and go.

If you are trying to short shift every gear it takes more fuel because you are running in higher load cells and more fuel is used to slow combustion and spark angle is dialed back. This reduces torque as well.

I get out of first around 4500rpm, and between 3500-4000for 2nd and 3rd then shift and cruise in 5th unless conditions call for coasting/engine braking in which case I'll stay in 3rd and 4th because coasting in gear shuts the injectors off.

Many things about returning good mileage are not intuitive. But the information is out there for all to see.

Lugging the engine in the attempt to return better mileage is not gonna do it. The motor is designed to wind out all day every day. Get to speed efficiently and quickly.

His mustang, like my buddy's 7.0L vette return better mileage when short shifting because that is what they are geared for. Those motors make a ton of torque down low and can just float along @ 1800rpm.

Quick Reply: First Post, Bad MPG