2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

First Post, Bad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Too high won't activate the warning; just too low. It may take several miles/days for the light to go off, unless they left off the sensors, or they're from another car and not registered with your car's tpms receiver.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Too high won't activate the warning; just too low. It may take several miles/days for the light to go off, unless they left off the sensors, or they're from another car and not registered with your car's tpms receiver.
Or they busted one when they mounted the new tires.

If you recently purchased the vehicle, see if the place you got it from will fix the TPMS issue. the ( ! ) light should be on for tire pressure issues, if the "TPMS" light is on, it is a problem with the system itself (likely a bad sensor).

~SB

Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
If it's a sensor issue, and they don't want to pay for repair, I think you could argue that it's a safety issue and the car should not be sold in that condition. They should pay for the repair.

(not that I think it's a safety issue, but it's a safety feature mandated by the DOT. The yellow idiot light glaring at me might make me rear-end someone so yeah, maybe it's a safety issue. )

Old 11-20-2011, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coffenbacher
So I've been lingering since before I bought my fit without registering, Finally found myself one a few weeks ago. So here's my problem, I'm pretty disappointed with the gas mileage. I took a short trip, about a hour each way, drove it as carefully as I could, didn't go over 70, pretty flat roadway, real light on the throttle. And only managed 31 mpg. While still leagues better than my previous and other vehicle, still disappointing. Then my last tank of mixed driving, and a few times of getting on it to get on the highway, nothing crazy, driving around 70-75, hit 80 once just by accident. I averaged 26mpg. This is pretty bad to me. So I started digging around and decided to replace my air filter, it hadn't been done, vehicle has 48k on it, and found out my front tires were only inflated to 28 and the rear to 25, so I raised them all to 40, and plan on changing the oil to full synthetic on monday, I have all the service records for this car, was always taken to the dealer before me. So I assume the dealer used the correct oil, but this is for my own piece of mind. So i'm asking, should I see a improvement based on just these things? or should i be looking to make sure there isn't something more serious?
Clean the throttle body and add a good fuel injection cleaner to a full tank. You might have to replace the spark plugs too. It will help.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:10 PM
my issue is i'm lower than sticker with average driving, my last tank was 26. and only 31 on a light road trip, now it was probably my tires, but I will be doing everything else that was suggested. And I know that's what the sicker says, but I hear most people saying mid to high 30's, not mid 20's. So yeah, 10 extra mpg is a big deal. But yes, my (!) light went off now that they are correctly inflated. And cleaning the throttle body is a good idea, I had a rough idle on the mustang for a year, and eventually cleaned the throttle body, and it runs 10x better.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Just be sure not to spray the MAF with the fuel injection cleaner. They make a alcohol MAF cleaner for that. I like to use spray SeaFoam through a vacuum line to load the motor and clean the valves and carbon off the pistons. Dirt on the throttle plate disrupts air flow.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:35 PM
If your going to attempt to clean the throttle body do not spray cleaner in it. Use a paper towel soaked down with the cleaner. Avoid the bearing ends of the throttle shaft. Go easy. The recommendation is to remove the throttle body to clean it.

I would wait on the cleaning until you see if what you've done so far returns results. What year is the car - mileage?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Yes it is a AT sport
there's your problem. the automatics don't get nearly as good fuel economy as manual transmission fits

Old 11-20-2011, 02:21 PM
On your next fill up, add one of the large 20 ounce bottles of Techron to your gas tank. Then do it again on the next fill up.

This stuff is great...will increase your performance and give you slightly higher MPG.

Advance Auto Parts has it on sale right now for buy one and get on free.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by MikeNSX
On your next fill up, add one of the large 20 ounce bottles of Techron to your gas tank. Then do it again on the next fill up.

This stuff is great...will increase your performance and give you slightly higher MPG.

Advance Auto Parts has it on sale right now for buy one and get on free.
Is this necessary and/or safe for brand new Fits?

Old 11-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Is this necessary and/or safe for brand new Fits?
What Techron does is clean the fuel system and injectors, which will help performance and fuel mileage.

I will use a bottle on my new 2012 Fit in about 6 months, and every 6 months after that. No need to now, as the fuel injectors are new and should be perfectly clean.

Really helps my other cars. Cost is $12.99 per 20 ounce bottle at Advance Auto Parts, and as I mentioned, they have a buy one get one free sale on it right now. I've stocked up and have 8 bottles in my garage for future use.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
coffinbacher, Like some posters said try different gasolines. You mentioned Sheets gas that you used. I rarely use their gas as it flows like water through my Fit. Bp,Shell,Sunoco, work the best in my Fit,and deliver the best mileage. I have never gotten less then 31mpg in winter,or hauling 2 canoes and a hatch full of camping gear. I have an 09 Sport 5 speed with 32K on the clock. I keep my tires about 36 psi summer and 34 winter,and still on stock Dunnies summer,Michelin IceX2's for winter. I drive mixed driving all week long and even as colder weather sets in here in southeast PA. I am still getting 37-39 mpg. Highest mileage achieved is 42.6 on a trip to Greenville, SC. I have a photo on my phone as proof. I am extremely pleased with my Fit and mileage,as it is better then EPA listing. I use Penzoil 5-20 ,change every 4000mi with filter,and change air filter every 10,000.{I drive dirt roads to canoe put in spots} Tires 36 psi,and usually drive 5mph over posted limits,and hammer the Fit getting on our short ramped highways,so I am not really easy on the Fit. Rest of the time I coast up to lights and stopped traffic and drive fairly normal in traffic,still I am pleased. Hopefully you will find the combo of right gas,tire pressures,oil and filter changes to bring up that mileage.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:21 PM
PaFitter, do you switch wheels, or just tires?
MikeNSX, do you go by time, or mileage?

Old 11-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
PaFitter, do you switch wheels, or just tires?
MikeNSX, do you go by time, or mileage?
I just pour in a bottle twice a year.

My '91 NSX only has 36,500 original miles, and only about 22,000 since I bought it in 1996. I pour a bottle in twice a year (even though I only drive about 1500 miles a year).

On my '95 Supra and my '99 M3, I do the same, even though I don't drive them that much either.

My Fit will probably get driven 8000 miles a year, and I'll put it in twice a year.

Might be overkill on all counts, but it's cheap overkill.

All my friends in the Porsche Club swear by this stuff, which is good enough for me.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Your tire pressure was really low, that would have made a big difference on that first full tank.

You don't need to change your oil or air filter. Nor do you need any of those fuel additives; they're snake oil in my opinion, and already included in the gasoline you pump anyway.

I'm betting it's just the tire pressure. Don't do anything else and see what MPG you get. If you do all these things and see your MPG go up, you won't know what fixed it, and you'll end up believing something ridiculous saved your MPG...such as a fuel additive.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Your tire pressure was really low, that would have made a big difference on that first full tank.

You don't need to change your oil or air filter. Nor do you need any of those fuel additives; they're snake oil in my opinion, and already included in the gasoline you pump anyway.

I'm betting it's just the tire pressure. Don't do anything else and see what MPG you get. If you do all these things and see your MPG go up, you won't know what fixed it, and you'll end up believing something ridiculous saved your MPG...such as a fuel additive.
Don't worry I would never assume that. And whoever said it could be the sheets gas could be correct, 99% of the time I use citgo, the shell here in town is on average 10 cents more per gallon, and is literally 10 seconds away from citgo. Maybe I will try bp, as they are only a couple cents more. As far as air filter, that was more for my own piece of mind, so I know when to change it again. and I' hoping it was the tires. it "seems" to be doing better now, but I have not yet gotten/needed gas so only time will tell.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Littleblackcar, I switch tires only. $40 local garage computer balanced,and mounted. Figure even at $40 a pop it's a few years to get the cost of wheels,and eliminate the
headache of TPMS. Just use a good wheel wax before winter and my wheels look great after 3 winters so far.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:34 AM
2010 Fit Sport MT. Fiance drives, she gets about 36MPG. I drive, I get 31 if I hammer it quite a bit, 33 otherwise. Our commutes are different though. Fiance drives down a straight 35-55MPH road all the way to work, I drive mixed hills and a highway that I tend to go 75MPH+ on. Also she's afraid to rev it out. I am not

Old 11-21-2011, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Don't worry I would never assume that. And whoever said it could be the sheets gas could be correct, 99% of the time I use citgo, the shell here in town is on average 10 cents more per gallon, and is literally 10 seconds away from citgo. Maybe I will try bp, as they are only a couple cents more. As far as air filter, that was more for my own piece of mind, so I know when to change it again. and I' hoping it was the tires. it "seems" to be doing better now, but I have not yet gotten/needed gas so only time will tell.
Considering that at $0.10 more per gallon, at most you'd be shelling out $1.06 more for a complete fill-up. The difference in cost is about .3 gallons which should equate to around 9 miles. If you get 1mpg more out of the shell, you'd be ahead of the game and actually saving money.

Try the shell. That's where I got my best fuel economy and it will help keep the injectors cleaner.

~SB

Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Hopefully it'll get better now, really upsetting to me, to the point that i'm almost regretting buying it.
Did you check the mpg ratings for the car before you bought it? Your results are normal and in-line with the window sticker, though you can do better with all the usual hypermiling efforts.

Quick Reply: First Post, Bad MPG