2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Break in oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Break in oil

MM @ 70%, 4000 miles on the clock. Is it time to change out the oil or just run er' until MM's @ 10%. Going to full syn. when the oil gets changed.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
You'll get different answers from everyone you ask about this. My standard routine, and followed with the Fit, is change at 500 with dino oil, change at 2,000 with dino oil, change at 5,000 with full synthetic and then change every 5,000 miles thereafter. I have never had a car that burnt oil and have had several with over 200,000 miles.

If I were in your shoes now, I would change immediately with synthetic. It should be plenty broken in.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM
The first oil that's in there has some additives for break in and Honda wants those in for 10k. Follow the MM and everything is fine.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda says keep the factory fill oil in for a complete cycle on the MM. It's in the owners manual I believe.

My FIT went 9Kmiles before it's first oil change. Dealer service explained Honda engineers are particular on engine brake-in and the full cycle is the recommendation. You can then switch to synthetic, however, my service said wait till the second oil change.

It took me a while to adjust my brain to an 7-9K mile oil change, but it's the 21st Century and a great engine.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
The first oil that's in there has some additives for break in and Honda wants those in for 10k. Follow the MM and everything is fine.
Those "additives" are lubes that are applied to the cam bearrings, main bearrings, etc. during assembly. They wear off over time regardless of what you do for oil changes. I prefer to change the oil often during break-in because the other motor parts (ie. rings) are negatively affected by the moly in the assembly lube.

Like I said, you will get tons of different answers. I have built several motors and owned tons of new cars and never had an oil consumption issue using my methods. Others have followed the factory recommendations (which are monitored by the EPA) and not had such good success.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM
I changed mine at 4k, ran conventional oil for another 5k and went ahead and changed to synthetic following that.

The only reason I ran conventional following the break in oil is because I had a free oil change from Honda. Intuitively, it also seemed like a good idea to do that instead of just switching straight to synthetic. I guess GAFIT feels the same but i'm sure he has a basis for it.

I don't really follow the MM because I don't think it accounts for severe service and hard driving. I try to change at 5k if possible.

Like it's been said, you will get a lot of different answers.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
just follow the maintenance reminder. dont pretend you know more than the manufacturer.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Wanderer
I don't really follow the MM because I don't think it accounts for severe service and hard driving.
This is exactly what the MM does take into account.

Curious, at 5Kmile oil change what's the MM %?
Based on my driving I'll guess 80%. I see 5%@9Kmiles.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Mine...

- purchased in March
- 2,700 miles
- 60% on the MM

Still on factory fill, have not had to add any.

Plan on leaving oil change until this coming March
or if the MM gets to 15% prior to March.

I'll be going with the standard 0w-20 fill and a filter
change with each oil change

Old 11-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I would just go with what Honda recommends in the manual. Then change it to whatever you want afterwards. I changed mine recently to Honda 0w20, I feel it idles a little quieter and revs easier but I could be imagining it.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:09 PM
You'll hear that after every oil change. I've come to understand that the valve noise increases slightly about 2/3rds through the oil cycle. After an oil change, quiet like new.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
You'll hear that after every oil change. I've come to understand that the valve noise increases slightly about 2/3rds through the oil cycle. After an oil change, quiet like new.
And you don't think that's because the viscosity is changing from the oil breaking down? Let me answer...yes, it is. I have sent numerous oil samples to Blackstone Labs through the years and that is how I came to the 5,000 mile oil change interval.

Manufactures are pressured by public demand and the EPA to extend oil change intervals. The buying public demands low maintenance costs and the manufactures have responded. Keep in mind that no matter what oil you choose, it still has the same amount of contaminants entering it. That is why even the best oil has to be changed eventually.

I'm only giving my educated opinion. I will admit that modern cars, and especially Honda's, will last a long time as long as you keep them wet. My maintenance schedule is for those of us that run a car HARD and expect it to go 200,000+ miles.

Last edited by GAFIT; 11-10-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Wanderer

This is exactly what the MM does take into account.

Curious, at 5Kmile oil change what's the MM %?
Based on my driving I'll guess 80%. I see 5%@9Kmiles.
How does it accomplish this? Does it record your driving day to day and put it into some sort of equation the determines the stress put on the oil? I know older MM's just counted the miles driven since it was reset and gave you a % based on the recommended interval.

I don't really check the MM, so I don't know what it says at 5K. I think right now i've got like 3K on the oil change and it's around 70%. Will probably end up at like 30% when I change it.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
How does it accomplish this? Does it record your driving day to day and put it into some sort of equation the determines the stress put on the oil? I know older MM's just counted the miles driven since it was reset and gave you a % based on the recommended interval.
yeah, it calculates oil degreidation based on temps, rpms, etc.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
yeah, it calculates oil degreidation based on temps, rpms, etc.
Wow, that's pretty fancy.

I'd really like to know more about exactly how this works. Guess i'll Google it lol

Old 11-10-2011, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
I have yet to see any proof that the MM actually takes into account all of the factors that people theorize that it is capable of.

I ask this question to people who think it knows all. Why is there a standard and severe maintenance schedule if the MM supposedly knows the exact conditions the car is operated in?

Edit: I have seen things from owners and from dealers. Having worked at auto dealers, I don't believe anything they say. They are probably the largest source of disinformation regarding cars that exists. Out of curiosity, I'm going to see how what my percent left is at my next 5,000 mile change.

Last edited by GAFIT; 11-10-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I have yet to see any proof that the MM actually takes into account all of the factors that people theorize that it is capable of.

I ask this question to people who think it knows all. Why is there a standard and severe maintenance schedule if the MM supposedly knows the exact conditions the car is operated in?
Honda MM is basically 250 hours + or - engine time, situations and loads. My Civic sees a mix of driving so the oil needs to be changed every 7500 miles. My 08 Fit was 6000 miles all the time. Honda oil is all you need and change it when the MM says so. Honda oil is a Group II and III oil with about 1 percent unsaturated Hydrocarbons, which means it will have sludge protection. Group II oils is the oil they use in diesel trucks, and they use 5000 gallons of fuel compared to 200 in gasoline before the oil is changed. Gasoline is so much cleaner that soot/carbon is the biggest byproduct.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT

Um, for the US, there isn't a severe and standard schedule. There are special cases that the MM can't deal with (flat towing for example), but no set schedules. Neither the owner's manual nor the service manual have standard and severe maintenance schedules for oil.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member

Quick Reply: Break in oil