2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2012: What is everyone paying?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:40 AM
2012 Fit Sport, Red, auto, no options
17300 + Tax, title, license
Flying to Dallas one way from Austin to pick up and dealer picking me up at airport, 3hr drive home.
Local dealers couldn't match price. Little inconvenience to save 1k.
Just sold my Toyo Matrix XR w/155K, hope this will an excellent car like that one was!

Last edited by derosa; 04-01-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM
15,100 plus taxes 3.29%...base m/t.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
I think we should be lamenting the fact that we're paying 17K + for compact cars.

17K in the early to mid-nineties could get you a minivan.

The rise in car prices is atrocious.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Uh, that's a few years shy of 20 years ago dude. The 2012 Fit may be smaller than a 1995 minivan, but it's whole bunch better, safer, and technically advanced.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 AM
2012 Silver Fit Sport w/ Navi in SoCal

I paid $19,310 for the car itself (destination and delivery included), opted for the wheel locks ($101 - I know I could have gotten them for less, but I felt I had a pretty good deal on the car, so was willing to pay for a relatively cheap dealer add-on), and with taxes (based in Orange County at 7.75%), licensing, and dealer paper fees, was OTD at $21,210 in April of 2012.

I must have requested at least 15-20 online quotes, and this was the best I could find anywhere (most quotes were between $200-$500 more). I also came with my own financing (1.99% for five years with no money down) from my credit union, which made for a relatively smooth transaction at the dealership.

Thanks to all who shared info on this forum - it was tremendously helpful as I was doing my own research. So am paying it forward in case my info helps someone still looking for their perfect FIT!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:05 AM
I paid $17,071 after everything (taxes and dealer fee) for a 2012 Base in Lakeland, FL. The guy tossed in a bra after a little urging.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM
2012 AT Sport Orangeburst
12 miles on ODO
$18,498.75 OTD (taxes, fees, registration, inspection, etc) which included a $600 for trade-in ('97 Toyota Celica with issues)
No extras included

Did negotiations online. Painless process.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by larrymcewin
FIT BASE MT .... $15745 .... out the door @ $17250

Car could finally arrive off the truck this week!

Made that mistake. Had dealer calls constantly for a month.
Funny how they play dumb about the price from them, but want to use them to get you to "Come on down and work a deal"

Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM
This forum is great - glad I discovered it. I'm supposed to take delivery on a Base AT this week for $16,400 + TTL. Does that sound like a decent price? Best I could do in my area.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in the market for a FIT sport auto (no navi), in Austin TX (6.25% sales tax). These prices are shyte, right?

Hassle-Free Price!
2012 Honda Fit Sport automatic
$18,530 - car price
$19,959 - final price

2012 Honda Fit Base automatic
$16,915 - car price
$18,240 - final price

Last edited by stinkyboomboom; 06-08-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 PM
2012 TW Sport A/T $18k OTD including visors and rear bumper protector POS
6 miles at time of delivery.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 AM
I may have gotten the lowest price for my combo (EDIT: Guess not....according to a couple of others in this thread. :P). Of course the prices mentioned below does not include tax/title/license/doc fee. Dealer lost quite a bit of money, but since it was a low volume dealer, they needed to move a couple units to meet numbers. I was lucky. Next highest dealer offered it to me @ $19,799.

2012 Taffeta White Fit Sport w/navi, which incidentally only comes with an automatic transmission.

MSRP: $20,480
Market Avg: $20,516
Factory Inv: $20,143
Dealer Cost: $19,749
My Price: $19,500

This was my research for this combination vehicle.

Name:  FitMarket.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  32.0 KB

Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by stinkyboomboom
I'm in the market for a FIT sport auto (no navi), in Austin TX (6.25% sales tax). These prices are shyte, right?
I'm in Boston and I'm no car buying expert but I snagged a new Auto Sport (no navi, 21 miles on it) for the car price ($18,500)...that included all taxes, fees, etc.

I just emailed them and flat out said that I had my loan all pre-approved (it was) and could give them a down payment that night (it was a Sunday) and the rest of the payment the next day (via my bank loan check) if they gave it to me for the amount I wanted which was $18,500. And that price would include all taxes, fees, registration, etc....Out the Door price completely. I had a car to trade in and that was part of the $18,500...it was a '97 Celica with almost 200,000 miles and had issues. They went for it with no hesitation as long as the trade in was ok. It was a 24 hour transaction which I think helped...it was an automatic sale for them with no hassle.

I actually emailed 2 dealerships (the only 2 that had new Orange Fits at that time in the state). The first dealership asked for higher, the second one was a-ok with my price right off the bat. I had a friend who knew what I should pay for the car in my area (he was a used car salesman) so he told me a range.

Not sure if this will help people. But I'm hoping it will.
I LOVE my new Orange Fit (aka Fitzy)...with now about 2200 miles on it already. And my husband does too!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
I know I don't have a 2012 but still wanted to chine in. Bought my 2009 Fit Sport Automatic new in 2009 for $14,xxx.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by purple2orange
I'm in Boston and I'm no car buying expert but I snagged a new Auto Sport (no navi, 21 miles on it) for the car price ($18,500)...that included all taxes, fees, etc.
I've been lurking for a while, but this post prompted me to join the forum. I've been thinking of getting a Fit. I'm in Boston too and I have never, ever, purchased a new car. So the whole process is freaking me out a bit.

Did you go to Herb Chambers on Comm Ave? What other advice can you give me? I'm looking for the exact same model, only in blue.

I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX Coupe with only 65,000 miles and new tires but a beat up exterior as trade.

Any advice to not get suckered by "processing fees" or anything else would be really appreciated.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:13 AM
This link has some really good advice for buyers. Dealerships Rip You Off With The "Four-Square," Here's How To Beat It - The Consumerist

We just got done with negoatations and they tried this 4 square thing on us (didnt work) they basically try to get you to concentrate on the payments and not the final price (pretty slick). Unfortunately we walked out after they refused to accept our offer of 17k. They offered 17580 which was right off the Edmund site. If they don't call us back we might try to get them to throw an armrest and some mats for the 17580 price, we'll see.

good luck they are tricky bastards

Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
Some dealerships will apply low or no pressure at the vehicle buying stage and you can get a good price at that point. The pressure begins at the final paperwork. The guy usually doing this is also selling all the add on extras, paint protection, Scotch Guard, warranties, wheel damage insurance, etc. This guy usually is one of their best sales negotiators because this is where the dealership can make hundreds or even thousands in profit. You are especially vunerable at this point especially if you've finance. He'll say stuff like "if it were me, I would rather pay $560 for wheel insurance for only $12 more per month on your payment. You wreck one wheel and you've paid for it" . He'll use this approach for every item hoping you'll succumb to the logic. This is the hardest point in the buying process to "just say no", or if you really want the stuff you've lost your negotiating leverage because you already agreed on a price for the basic vehicle.

Last edited by Rampo; 06-09-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
$17,397 red malino sport with M/T last week that was the dealers first offer sticker $17,850.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Gojulas
I've been lurking for a while, but this post prompted me to join the forum. I've been thinking of getting a Fit. I'm in Boston too and I have never, ever, purchased a new car. So the whole process is freaking me out a bit.

Did you go to Herb Chambers on Comm Ave? What other advice can you give me? I'm looking for the exact same model, only in blue.

I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX Coupe with only 65,000 miles and new tires but a beat up exterior as trade.

Any advice to not get suckered by "processing fees" or anything else would be really appreciated.

I did initial general looking at the Fit and pricing for about a month. Did test drives in the base and sport, manual and auto. I did the test drives at different dealerships because this was my first time buying a new car too. I wanted to get a feel of the dealerships and did a little chatting about price with the salesmen. They all said that because the Fits were so low in price already that they couldn't really discount it any more. They were hardly making money off of them to begin with. So you'll hear that from them. I was actually initially going to get a used Fit but there aren't many out there and most were similar price to the new. I did a lot of research and read on these forums too.

My friend who was a used car salesman said that I shouldn't pay more than $18,700 for the Auto Sport because he knew I really wanted the orange. But in general said to not pay more than $18,500 with my trade-in included. And that's the Out the Door price (with all taxes, fees, registration, etc included).

I am not one to enjoy the hassle of talking down salespeople so I tried the online quote route. I figured setting up my loan approval first and being ready to close the sale within 24 hours would be an asset so I got my bank stuff all taken care of first.

Then I just put everything down in my message to the dealership in black and white. They either took it or they didn't. There were only 2 orange Fits left when I was buying (and heard they wouldn't have more for 5 weeks...not sure if that was correct) so I only had 2 dealerships to go to. Those were Boch Honda in Norwood (Automile) and Herb Chambers in Burlington (although I think all the Herb Chambers may share inventory...not sure though). Got my first quote back from Herb Chambers (with a call right afterwards). I decided not to answer the call and kept it all email based to have a physical record of our correspondence. Herb Chambers offered $19,100 Out The Door with Trade-In Included and then was eager to get me over so they could evaluate my trade-in. I told them that I was getting quotes elsewhere as well. I got an approval for my $18,500 from Boch Honda right away. I emailed back to Herb Chambers to see if they would offer lower but they couldn't. So in a few hours I had signed the contract at the Boch Honda dealership. They couldn't waffle at the price because I had it all in writing. They didn't even try. They did try to sell the protection plan, some plastic wrap thing on the hood, etc but I just said "no thank you" and we were done. I may have had a really unlikely experience, but it was painless...and I was shocked about that. I picked the car up the next day after they washed it all up.

Oh and for those who don't want to give out your phone number for the dealerships. I signed up for Google Voice. You get a phone number and you use it through your computer and its free. So I gave out that number to the dealership. I use it for most things like that...you can block numbers too in case they keep calling. Very handy.

As for your trade-in. I'm not sure. I looked at Edmund's Trade in Value tool and other trade-in tools to see what my car might bring in as value. I'm not sure how accurate those are but I knew I couldn't really sell my car (so much wrong with it) so any money I got for it I was happy about.

So that's my story. PHEW! I hope it helps!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Stopped by the Honda dealer near my work and got a quote. Fit sport a/t with the python remote starter. OTD $2100. I hate Chicagoland and our crappy 8.25% tax. Might try and get them to toss in the rear bumper applique at no charge.

Quick Reply: 2012: What is everyone paying?