2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I'm thinking about buying a used Fit, question pls.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm thinking about buying a used Fit, question pls.

Hi Folks,

I'm a pizza delivery driver and "all" of my cars get a major workout. I live in an area where the roads are heaved from the frost, lots of ruts, huge pot holes etc and construction. I currently drive a Suzuki Swift which for the most part has been a rugged little car. However, the air conditioning needs a compressor next year before it gets hot again. I'm also finding that I go through lots of shocks, idler arms etc.

What is the suspension like on the Fit, is it solid, will it take lots of rough roads? Mind you I don't expect any car to take a beating forever without repairs, I'm just wondering.

I'm told by many people this car is amazing in the gas mileage department. This is one of the reason why I'm considering buying it for my deliveries.

Thanks folks!

Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Get this instead:

1995 HONDA CIVIC CX HATCHBACK

For me, even the Fit's stock suspension is stiff for rough roads. Old Civic is better for what you're doing IMO. All the miles you're going to put on the Fit is going to depreciate it alot and I don't think it's worth the cash outlay up front.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tappers
Hi Folks,

I'm a pizza delivery driver and "all" of my cars get a major workout. I live in an area where the roads are heaved from the frost, lots of ruts, huge pot holes etc and construction. I'm finding that I go through lots of shocks, idler arms etc. What is the suspension like on the Fit, is it solid, will it take lots of rough roads?
I'll just make the observation that there are LOTS of years of Fit experiences on this forum.....and very few if any mention of problems with shocks, idler arms,etc. FWIW

geo

Old 10-28-2011, 05:29 PM
for pizza delivery, i'd definitely just get a real beater. if you need something newer, get a nissan versa. they're dirt cheap.

and you might think me weird but i can't stand the smell of food in my car. i feel like i need to open all the windows when there's food in the car. even if it's in the hatch under the cargo cover.

yeah, i think i'd need a car with a trunk if i had to do food delivery.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Goobz will chime in - he delivers in Chicago, not pizza but he runs hard. Rough road driving will beat any car eventually. Stabilizer links, ball joint take it hard. Fit parts are in the lower range of replacement costs - but not indestructible.

If I was making money with cooked food in the car I would go for it - otherwise eat where you bought it.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
i would personally hate the smell of it in the fabric.. but if your getting it as a work car.. and you already kinda plan on that happening.... i think its perfect... because your looking for the reliably of the honda.. another recommendation wold be a toyota yaris.. but i would recommend the fit just because it MIGHT be a more popular car in the future.. the Honda fit is the MOST expensive out of all of the similar sub-compact hatches... so keep that in mind as well. and don't expect miracles.. i've gotten 23 miles to the gallon before on my honda fit.. but i would also do 40+ miles to the gallon if i really gramma'ed it.

Getting something like a Prius would be NICE butt.. its alot more expensive AND iam sure your not going to be cruising long distances with it.. but instead your probly plowing thru the gears.. which on a prius wouldn't be so great... i've seen my dad get like 28 miles to the gallon before with city and highway combined... i would drive the same car doing a long trip and get 65~ miles to the gallon.. my dad has even seen it do 70 miles to the gallon before.. and this was done AFTER he realized he was getting 28 miles to the gallon and started to have a lighter foot.. (talking about the prius in this paragraph)

i think your making a good choice.. you want something EASY to fix, and does good gas per gallon when driving in city environments... i would say mazda2 and ford fiesta aren't bad choices either.. no one ever knows about reliably.. even a honda can break.. but iam pretty sure there are more honda fits around compared to the other sub-compact choices available right now... so fixing it would be easyer compared to other cars, and more parts available.

Last edited by Vash; 10-28-2011 at 09:44 PM.