2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Factory Spec Tires options for '09 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Junk the old tire, you've got a spare already, you really don't need a wheel/tire laying around. Spare tires are seldom used and the temp you have works as designed and prompts you to get the real wheels up and running as soon as possible - no reason for a full size spare. And remember, never use the squirt in tire fixers. You'll muck up the TPSM and spend a buck replacing the sensor.

First time I've ever recommended Wallyworld, except for their car batteries. They have been rated top self, only they can't size one for a Fit I think.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by single_digit
Good call on Wal-mart. I called them and they said it would be around $30 or so for all four wheels (sure beats $65 from Tires Plus/Michel Tire). Went ahead and bought the ContiExtreme DWS in a 205/50/16. Should work out to just a bit over $500 or so total ($476 shipped plus mounting at Walmart).

I plan to keep one of the Turanza 185s for a spare and pick up a rim to use with it. Any ideas on that? I'm about to call salvage yards, but I'd settle for a cheap steelie rather than the luxury of an aluminum rim.
As for Evil-mart, I'd rather pay $65 for the mounting & Balancing than take it there.

also, in regards to keeping the other tire, I wouldn't. if it were the same size as the others, i'd consider it but only as a spare tire... not mounted. Reason being: you won't find a steel wheel that fits that tire for the FIT. No one makes 4x100 16" steel wheels so your only real option would be to find an Alloy wheel. good luck on that too as most all 4x100 alloy wheels are either too small for your tire, or will be too wide for the 185 width wheel. - Basically, you'd need to find a GE8 FIT Sport wheel...

~SB

Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
In regards to keeping the other tire, I wouldn't. if it were the same size as the others, i'd consider it but only as a spare tire... not mounted. Reason being: you won't find a steel wheel that fits that tire for the FIT. No one makes 4x100 16" steel wheels so your only real option would be to find an Alloy wheel. good luck on that too as most all 4x100 alloy wheels are either too small for your tire, or will be too wide for the 185 width wheel. - Basically, you'd need to find a GE8 FIT Sport wheel...

~SB
As I have been realizing. In addition it sounds like (from other threads) that a full size spare won't even fit in the compartment, so I guess the trash bin it is...

Old 10-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Regarding Wally and tire work, it's a straight forward job - wouldn't be too concerned. Be damned if I would let them do much more, however. I know guys around my parts that have used them this way, but that's any type of endorsement. Cosco does a fair job as well.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
As I have been realizing. In addition it sounds like (from other threads) that a full size spare won't even fit in the compartment, so I guess the trash bin it is...
Dispose of it properly (I'm assuming that's what you meant). You mgiht hit up the FS/WTB section to see if someone wants a tire as many people are often in your situation with need for single tire replacement (this isn't the first and won't be the last thread on this). if they are in your area and are willing to shell out $5 or $10/tire, you'd be ahead by a few cups of Coffee.
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Regarding Wally and tire work, it's a straight forward job - wouldn't be too concerned. Be damned if I would let them do much more, however. I know guys around my parts that have used them this way, but that's any type of endorsement. Cosco does a fair job as well.
It's not about their car people, it's about the company in general. They moved into Mansfield PA and claimed to create 200+ jobs. what they did was shut down 20 or 30 local shops that paid $8/hour and hired those people they put out of jobs at $7/hour because they had no where else to go. They lowered the standard of living while creating maybe a dozen new jobs. These new lower income families then have no option but to shop there because they have less money and can only afford to shop at one place. Walmart creates it's own customers out of it's employees. Then there's the way they treat their employees - even the greeters at the door rarely smile... and when was the last time you could buy a product there that was made in the USA? good luck.

They are the epitome of everything that's wrong with this country. Spend a little more and support a smaller company like a local Tire shop or at least give them a chance to come closer to the price.

/soapbox

~SB

Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Lightbulb

Without reading through the entire thread its real easy, Continental DWS in 205/50/16 and call it a day, can't say enough great things about these tires. I've got 6 people I know running them and even one person, a girl who isn't even into cars noticed how much better they are. Its the no-brainer of the century!

Awesome on dry, unreal grip in the rain and snow, they plow right through

Old 10-29-2011, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
Dispose of it properly (I'm assuming that's what you meant). You mgiht hit up the FS/WTB section to see if someone wants a tire as many people are often in your situation with need for single tire replacement (this isn't the first and won't be the last thread on this). if they are in your area and are willing to shell out $5 or $10/tire, you'd be ahead by a few cups of Coffee.
It's not about their car people, it's about the company in general. They moved into Mansfield PA and claimed to create 200+ jobs. what they did was shut down 20 or 30 local shops that paid $8/hour and hired those people they put out of jobs at $7/hour because they had no where else to go. They lowered the standard of living while creating maybe a dozen new jobs. These new lower income families then have no option but to shop there because they have less money and can only afford to shop at one place. Walmart creates it's own customers out of it's employees. Then there's the way they treat their employees - even the greeters at the door rarely smile... and when was the last time you could buy a product there that was made in the USA? good luck.

They are the epitome of everything that's wrong with this country. Spend a little more and support a smaller company like a local Tire shop or at least give them a chance to come closer to the price.

/soapbox

~SB
Yeah, I may try that on the local ads. I was planning on paying the fee and letting them change it out. Our city does a waste pick up on up to four tires once per year and that is coming up in a week, so I can hope to sell them, or barring that put them out for pick up.
As to Wal-Mar, I am originally from NW Arkansas, home of Wal-Mart. I have no love for them. You are right about them representing what is wrong in America. Many of those $8/hr turned $7/hr employees, probably also had better benefits at their old job. That said, Sam Walton, while a shrewd business-man was also a good person. I can't say the same for the rest of his family (and the overall board) since he passed.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Not to get too far off the mark, let's face it, the USA economy is wacked.
Sam Walton had a good idea - I'm thinking the bean counter/investors have taken it savagely over the mark.
Story can be told over and over again.

The 21st Century has shown us there is no limit to greed, our Congress is proving their interests do not 'lie' with the citizens of this country.

There are no true leaders daring enough to step up because they all know the devastation that awaits gallant efforts reaching a meaning levels in our government.

No matter what river you find yourself in you need to swim hard to survive.

I have little reason not to support the shop guys working for a living, especially when you can bring in a set of tires and have their labor install them.

I just don't buy anything else there.
Then again, my FIT was made in Japan...

Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Not to get too far off the mark, let's face it, the USA economy is wacked.
Sam Walton had a good idea - I'm thinking the bean counter/investors have taken it savagely over the mark.
Story can be told over and over again.

The 21st Century has shown us there is no limit to greed, our Congress is proving their interests do not 'lie' with the citizens of this country.

There are no true leaders daring enough to step up because they all know the devastation that awaits gallant efforts reaching a meaning levels in our government.

No matter what river you find yourself in you need to swim hard to survive.

I have little reason not to support the shop guys working for a living, especially when you can bring in a set of tires and have their labor install them.

I just don't buy anything else there.
Then again, my FIT was made in Japan...
Since the OP is in on this discussion, slight derailment isn't too bad (or so I like to tell myself)
KC, granted the shop guys need to make a living but unfortunately, EvilM takes their cut for profit and also provides lousy working conditions/benefits for its' employees. The only reason we go to walmart is becuase they have bathrooms that are better than your average gas station gotta-check-out-the-key-to-go-round-back bathrooms. Our family only ever makes deposits at WM, never withdrawals.

I've heard that Sam was a good guy and I totally agree with KC that it's the bean counters that have ruined many businesses like WM. I doubt he'd be proud of what WM has become today. unfortunately, We, the consumers, also drive this as in the US, it's about quantity, not quality.

As for the Fit and being from Japan, it's different. you are knowingly buying a vehicle that is imported but they money you spend at the dealer for maintenance supports the staff that work there. Honda isn't and evil company and it definitely isn't masquerading as an "American Company" like WM. Wm pushes it's product producers to China for Greed alone and then tries to make you think it is the all American company. Also, I bet more products (Percentage) sold by honda are made in the US by Americans than WM.

If you can afford to put money into the pocket of the small tire-shop and skip a Grande-mo-fo latte every now and then, it's worth it.

OP, Glad to hear that you have a tire Disposal Day. hopefully they do the right thing with it.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 10-29-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
Shopping at Walmart is a necessary evil for many with little income. It is so misleading to claim to sell things made in the USA when only a minority of their items actually are.
One of my retired friends calls it VoldeMart-- I laughed so hard.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
Shopping at Walmart is a necessary evil for many with little income. It is so misleading to claim to sell things made in the USA when only a minority of their items actually are.
One of my retired friends calls it VoldeMart-- I laughed so hard.
LOL... that is funny.

Unfortunately, you are right. My In-laws live in an area where it is one of the only places to shop as they ran out of town the other options. I don't blame them because they are Stuck. I do blame people who have the means to go elsewhere but make the conscious choice not to.

OP, another thought would be to maybe use this time to put snow tires on the car (if needed) and give yourself a little more time to pick up some new tires (maybe find a sale/rebate online somewhere)

~SB

Old 10-30-2011, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
OP, another thought would be to maybe use this time to put snow tires on the car (if needed) and give yourself a little more time to pick up some new tires (maybe find a sale/rebate online somewhere)

~SB
Eh, we don't get that much snow in Louisville. Besides I already ordered the Conti's.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, got my tires, took them Wally world and had em put on. However, they told me they don't have the "sensor pack" for the TPMS sensor, nor could they order them. They went ahead and put the tires on and told me I could bring in the sensors (if I could find them) and they would put them on for $5 tire. I'm not really knowledgeable about these things so I have several questions...
-what exactly is this "sensor pack" that they are saying to replace?
-is it anything to worry about replacing? They said you are supposed to do it each time you change the tires and that grommets on the valve stem can dry out if you don't(IIRC). They said something about water getting in to the tire and damaging the system (at about $200 per tire). Is there any basis to this?
-if they are that necessary to replace, where is the best place to purchase? I have no doubt that Honda will charge an arm and a leg.

About the Contis- they seem nice so far, but I haven't done any real "spirited" driving yet. Driving in the rain today though they seemed sure-footed.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
I don't boycott Wally but don't find much to buy from there either... prefer to hit Target across the road instead. Wally's parking lot doesn't give me a warm fuzzy for being car friendly either so I end up parking a long ways away from the entrance.

Btw is anyone picky about what machines a tire change place uses? I've heard the Hunter touchless is what you really want if you're worried about your wheels.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Okay, got my tires, took them Wally world and had em put on. However, they told me they don't have the "sensor pack" for the TPMS sensor, nor could they order them. They went ahead and put the tires on and told me I could bring in the sensors (if I could find them) and they would put them on for $5 tire. I'm not really knowledgeable about these things so I have several questions...
-what exactly is this "sensor pack" that they are saying to replace?
-is it anything to worry about replacing? They said you are supposed to do it each time you change the tires and that grommets on the valve stem can dry out if you don't(IIRC). They said something about water getting in to the tire and damaging the system (at about $200 per tire). Is there any basis to this?
-if they are that necessary to replace, where is the best place to purchase? I have no doubt that Honda will charge an arm and a leg.

About the Contis- they seem nice so far, but I haven't done any real "spirited" driving yet. Driving in the rain today though they seemed sure-footed.
You did not have the wheels replaced or changed in any way, correct?
Is the TPSM light on the dash display shining brightly?

Each wheel has a TPSM unit mounted in it.
Changing the rubber has little to do with those. Nothing should be wrong, unless the shop screwed up pulling the tires off the wheels.

As far as the grommet, it's mounted on the valve stem on the inside of the rim. Yes it is suggested changing it but only when replacing those sensors - which should not have been disturbed.

If the TPSM warning is not illuminated my feeling is all is good, but a call back to clarify might be in order to find out exactly what they are taking about and what they did.

Have you ever seen the TPSM light illuminated???

Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
You did not have the wheels replaced or changed in any way, correct?
Is the TPSM light on the dash display shining brightly?

Each wheel has a TPSM unit mounted in it.
Changing the rubber has little to do with those. Nothing should be wrong, unless the shop screwed up pulling the tires off the wheels.

As far as the grommet, it's mounted on the valve stem on the inside of the rim. Yes it is suggested changing it but only when replacing those sensors - which should not have been disturbed.

If the TPSM warning is not illuminated my feeling is all is good, but a call back to clarify might be in order to find out exactly what they are taking about and what they did.

Have you ever seen the TPSM light illuminated???
When the tire was damaged by the neighbor backing in to it (what prompted the whole thing), the TPMS light came on. Wheels are all factory original. I do not believe Walmart replaced anything relating to the TPMS system. The light is not currently on.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 PM
You should be in good shape. I will suggest bumping the PSI to 36 all around. With cooler temps coming it's a good idea and will give a slightly better MPG. Keep an eye on the pressure once a week for a week or so. Should be no problem.

Post back on those new treads! Interested to hear how you're Fit likes them ;-)

Old 11-05-2011, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
When the tire was damaged by the neighbor backing in to it (what prompted the whole thing), the TPMS light came on. Wheels are all factory original. I do not believe Walmart replaced anything relating to the TPMS system. The light is not currently on.
was it a TPMS light or a low tire pressure light?

TPMS or ( ! )

TPMS means there's a failure in the sensors (comes on for various reasons). in this case, it can happen if the impact was on the TPMS module's valve stem (cracking or breaking it).

( ! ) is when the air pressure is below the sensor's acceptable level (27 psi?), which is what should've happened when the tire got damaged and let all the air out.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
You should be in good shape. I will suggest bumping the PSI to 36 all around. With cooler temps coming it's a good idea and will give a slightly better MPG. Keep an eye on the pressure once a week for a week or so. Should be no problem.

Post back on those new treads! Interested to hear how you're Fit likes them ;-)
Will do! I take it that running 36 is not high enough to kick on the TPMS?

Originally Posted by Goobers
was it a TPMS light or a low tire pressure light?
Not sure. I can't remember. After the incident the car was hauled off to a shop and I only drove it home on the donut once and then to Wal-Mart. I wasn't really thinking about it, but neither light is on now.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
the TPMS will only sense low pressure or failure and give two different warnings ( ! ) or TPMS so pumping to 36psi should turn the ( ! ) light off if it was on. it won't fix a TPMS light. anything above 27-29lbs in all four tires should cause the low pressure light to turn off.

~SB

Quick Reply: Factory Spec Tires options for '09 Sport