2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tire replacement on 2010 sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 02:34 PM
If I wait a couple of months to order the Continentals, does anyone know if there are sales or specials on the price around late winter or early to mid spring? I can afford them now but am always looking for a bargain...

Old 01-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Tirerack has consistent good prices. Makes sense to the most out of your OEMs. Only one month to go and snow will be behind us.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by carolem
Very nice! And great information. I am very close to buying the 205/50/16's, although at tirerack.com, they have only 205/55/16's. I'll assume it's close enough unless you or others tell me differently...
2 things wrong with your post

1) it's not close enough, get the 205/50/r16
2) at least when i checked 30secs ago i see them in-stock at tirerack so

Old 01-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Tirerack has consistent good prices. Makes sense to the most out of your OEMs. Only one month to go and snow will be behind us.
Agreed! I'm milking my OEMs for all they're worth, provided we don't get socked with lots of the white stuff in the next 30 or so days...

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
The tires I bought are Conti DWS tires, but I got them after last winter. So, I have yet to try them out in winter conditions.

While they should be better tires than my stock Dunlops, they are also wider. The current feeling by most is that narrower tires are better in snow than wider. They have less width, so they don't need to "plow" through as much snow.

And due to the overall contact patch (whatever surface area of the tire touching the ground) being smaller, it means the car is putting more weight per square inch on the ground, allowing it to dig through snow to the pavement. But of course, sometimes that's bad too, if there's only ice and if the tire is no good on ice.

So... I have no idea how differently the car is going to handle this coming winter. Gotta love Chicagoland winters... *sigh*

BTW... as horrible as I think the stock tires are... I manage to outmaneuver plenty of other vehicles (once I get going), cars, vans and trucks alike. It all boils down to your control over it. I'm just too aggressive on my starts, so I end up starting in 3rd gear.
Winter? What is that? Oh, yeah, we had it back in '09. It was on a Wednesday, I think.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
I've been using Continental ExtremeContact DWS 205/50/16 on my 09' Fit Sport since late Nov and I agree it's the best replacement tire you can get over the POS OEM weird size Dunlops.

Although we didn't get much snow yet this year in NJ, we did get rained on alot and these tires handle well in the rain. I've notice big improvements handling and especially handling on wet roadways. That combined with the long tread life and good winter performance others have claimed makes this the best replacement choice right now.

The only negative I've experienced is a 1-2 mpg drop over the stock OEM tires. But I would sacrifice 1-2 mpg for safety any day of the week.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
And just to add a bit to this, if anyone is looking to run dedicated snows, 14" rims will fit the GE just fine and you can get some great deals on the General Altimax Arctics in the 185/60/r14 size and the 185/65/r14 as well (the second is almost spot on for the stock tire size, at least for my base model with uses 175/65/r15). I run the 60's since I had a set from my Civic and they are great, though they havn't been much use here in NJ this year, they were good when I went to Canada in early January.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by forress
I've been using Continental ExtremeContact DWS 205/50/16 on my 09' Fit Sport since late Nov and I agree it's the best replacement tire you can get over the POS OEM weird size Dunlops.

Although we didn't get much snow yet this year in NJ, we did get rained on alot and these tires handle well in the rain. I've notice big improvements handling and especially handling on wet roadways. That combined with the long tread life and good winter performance others have claimed makes this the best replacement choice right now.

The only negative I've experienced is a 1-2 mpg drop over the stock OEM tires. But I would sacrifice 1-2 mpg for safety any day of the week.
I can only agree, except for the MPG part. Got mine the same time you did. Two things could be effecting it. Winter fuel blends and inflation psi. I run mine at 36psi all around and have seen no loss in mpg. That is till 'winter' got here. Now it's down to both sides of 34, nothing close to what I saw back the same time you put yours on.