2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Bad paint---what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Bad paint---what to do?

My 1 month old black Fit has a few serious scratches in the paint. I'm willing to overlook the swirls, but these scratches are very noticeable in the sunlight, and even when not in direct sun. One runs the length of the passenger side, and there a couple on each of the front doors.
I don't know what Honda can do about these except repaint, which makes me a little nervous. What if they screw it up worse?!
What would YOU do??

Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Try some polish or ScratchX to minimize the look of the scratches. Langka it if its down to bare (no paint left), or use a toothpick with touch-up paint.

The other part is already too late - don't buy a black car next time around. Some colors show everything, and black is the HIGHEST maintenance you can possibly get.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
My 1 month old black Fit has a few serious scratches in the paint. I'm willing to overlook the swirls, but these scratches are very noticeable in the sunlight, and even when not in direct sun. One runs the length of the passenger side, and there a couple on each of the front doors.
I don't know what Honda can do about these except repaint, which makes me a little nervous. What if they screw it up worse?!
What would YOU do??
Didn't you go over the car with a fine tooth comb to look for any flaws or scratches when you bought the car?

Honda is not going to repaint a car they sold you one month ago because there are scratches that you suddenly see now, nor would you want them to.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Would body side moldings be a good idea to prevent this kind of thing? I know, too late now, littleblack, but maybe after you repair the damage?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MikeNSX
Didn't you go over the car with a fine tooth comb to look for any flaws or scratches when you bought the car?

Honda is not going to repaint a car they sold you one month ago because there are scratches that you suddenly see now, nor would you want them to.
Yes, I did look at the car very closely. However, the sunlight makes a huge difference in seeing the scratches. Also, these scratches cannot be felt----they are under the clearcoat or wax...?

I don't really want them to repaint the car, but I do want them to do SOMETHING.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101

The other part is already too late - don't buy a black car next time around. Some colors show everything, and black is the HIGHEST maintenance you can possibly get.
I bought my car during Cash for Clunkers and one of the stipulations was you had to take whatever was on the lot and black was my only choice. But I agree with you, black is the worst to maintain and will not buy black again.

I will say though, that when it is super clean it looks phenomenal!

Old 10-23-2011, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I will say though, that when it is super clean it looks phenomenal!
High maintenance, but can look really nice too. I've noticed that most pearl paints are more apt to show imperfections too, vs. metallic with all the flakes... and of course solid colors are susceptible too.

A non maintained black exterior ends up looks really sad in a couple of years. I have a thing for black interiors though - not much a fan of lighter interiors.

What did you "clunk" for the Fit?

Old 10-24-2011, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
guys i scratched my car, now i want honda to repaint it

Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
guys i scratched my car, now i want honda to repaint it
Well it was Honda's fault I scratched my car. As I don't want a repaint they should give me a new car right?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
Show us pictures.

If the flaw is "under the clearcoat" then I don't think it's wise to repaint. A repaint won't be as good as the factory paint.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by afreespirit
Would body side moldings be a good idea to prevent this kind of thing? I know, too late now, littleblack, but maybe after you repair the damage?
unfortunately no. those molding only work for specific things at that height.

long scratches that run across the entire side of the cars are usually from getting keyed or getting scratched during a wash either by human that dont know how to do 2 bucket method, or at auto carwashes using 'soft cloth' contaminated with grit from previous washes.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
The paint is definitely not the best paint on our Fits and it swirls and scratches extremely easy. My 2007 has to be really worked on before I show it. That is one reason it is now retired from being a show car because the paint just doesn't hold up.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Honda will most likely have to repaint my car----at least all four doors. The scratches are beneath the clearcoat, and in a couple of cases, down to the metal. I'm meeting with the district manager on Thursday.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the dealer tried to correct a problem that happened on the lot. Badly it seems.

What did the dealer tell you (assume they said, "Go Fish," or you wouldn't be seeing the district manager...)?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Sounds like the dealer tried to correct a problem that happened on the lot. Badly it seems.

What did the dealer tell you (assume they said, "Go Fish," or you wouldn't be seeing the district manager...)?
I meet with the district manager on Thursday. There's really nothing they can do but repaint. I could live with the scratches...but not for $17,000. Can you think of an alternative other than a new paint job?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
What a shame littleblack.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Show us pictures.

If the flaw is "under the clearcoat" then I don't think it's wise to repaint. A repaint won't be as good as the factory paint.
The worst scratches are definitely under the clearcoat. Deeper than the black---either metal or primer. The service manager says there are some good auto painters around here----I'll see what the district manager says.

For you cynics and/or smartasses-----no, I didn't scratch the paint and then blame it on Honda. Get a grip!

Old 10-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Can you think of an alternative other than a new paint job?
Absolutely...a new car (without scratches) from Honda.

You do know, don't you, that now that your car will be partially or totally repainted that the value will be worth FAR less than a car without paintwork?

If you let Honda repaint the car, you need to get some sort of diminished value (at least several thousand dollars in my opinion) from Honda. Think about it for a minute...when you go to trade this car in, and the car has significant paintwork, do you think any dealer (or individual) will give you as "fair" a price for it had the car never been repainted in the first place?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member

You do know, don't you, that now that your car will be partially or totally repainted that the value will be worth FAR less than a car without paintwork?

If you let Honda repaint the car, you need to get some sort of diminished value (at least several thousand dollars in my opinion) from Honda. Think about it for a minute...when you go to trade this car in, and the car has significant paintwork, do you think any dealer (or individual) will give you as "fair" a price for it had the car never been repainted in the first place?
Good point....but will they give me money? I mean, really? They're going to do all they can to make me give in!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member

Why is the car worth less if its doors get painted? Does it show up on carfax? Why wouldn't getting the paint repaired by Honda be a 'good' thing?

Quick Reply: Bad paint---what to do?