2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Bad paint---what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
I wish this thread had pics.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
It's really hard to get good pics in the sun. I do have some pictures, but I don't know how to attach them since this forum doesn't give an "attach" option, just an "insert".
If the car is going to depreciate simply by being repainted, should I ask the dealer for money? If so, how much?
Certainly they won't give me a different car??

Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the world of Honda paint! It's unfortunate by my girlfriends 1998 Honda civic has almost no rock chips and that car is almost 14 years old....my fit on the other hand is a different story! Good luck with whatever you do...post up before and after pics if you don't mind.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Why is the car worth less if its doors get painted? Does it show up on carfax? Why wouldn't getting the paint repaired by Honda be a 'good' thing?
If you decide to trade the car in down the road to a dealer, the dealer is going to tell you that since the car has had some paintwork, it's worth less.

If you instead decide to list the car for sale yourself on Autotrader or Craigslist, and the person calling you on the phone asks you whether or not the car has had any paintwork (and you tell him/her the truth), they may say...you know what...there's a lot of Honda Fit's out there with no paintwork for sale, so I'll go look at one of them instead...that is unless you knock the price down a lot to make up for the fact your car has been painted. Paintwork from an aftermarket source is never as good as from the factory.

If you just bought a "new" '11 or '12 Fit and it has this issue, in my opinion, Honda owes you a new car, or should at least repaint it and give you some sort of monetary compensation for the loss you'll likely have due to lower resale from a painted car.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MikeNSX
If you decide to trade the car in down the road to a dealer, the dealer is going to tell you that since the car has had some paintwork, it's worth less.

If you instead decide to list the car for sale yourself on Autotrader or Craigslist, and the person calling you on the phone asks you whether or not the car has had any paintwork (and you tell him/her the truth), they may say...you know what...there's a lot of Honda Fit's out there with no paintwork for sale, so I'll go look at one of them instead...that is unless you knock the price down a lot to make up for the fact your car has been painted. Paintwork from an aftermarket source is never as good as from the factory.

If you just bought a "new" '11 or '12 Fit and it has this issue, in my opinion, Honda owes you a new car, or should at least repaint it and give you some sort of monetary compensation for the loss you'll likely have due to lower resale from a painted car.
I've been looking at depreciation values. Should I really push for a new car? My 17,00 means a lot more to me than it does to them, I'm sure. I don;t have money to throw around. The problem will be that there aren't many 2011s available around here. This dealer has a red one, and 2 Sports (mine is a Base). If I asked for depreciation compensation, how much seems fair?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
not sure you know what "under the clearcoat" means.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
wait, you have a 17k mile car and you want honda to paint it? wtf is wrong with that sentence? once you drive it off the lot it is yours.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
wait, you have a 17k mile car and you want honda to paint it? wtf is wrong with that sentence? once you drive it off the lot it is yours.
I think he has a one month old '11 Fit that he has $17,000 invested in, as I read it.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
oh. in that case, why didn't you inspect the car before you bought it? did you buy it at night in the rain?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
not sure you know what "under the clearcoat" means.
What do you think it means?

Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Pix would be good....to insert them, upload pix from your computer to a free hosting site like Flickr..then just insert the url here.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
I've been looking at depreciation values. Should I really push for a new car? My 17,00 means a lot more to me than it does to them, I'm sure. I don;t have money to throw around. The problem will be that there aren't many 2011s available around here. This dealer has a red one, and 2 Sports (mine is a Base). If I asked for depreciation compensation, how much seems fair?
I have been successful in collecting diminished value three out of three times someone has damaged a car I've owned, so I've got a bit of knowledge in this regard.

Your car wasn't damaged by another party, yet it still will be worth less once it's been painted, no matter how good a job was done. Believe me...when you eventually go in to trade your Fit in, the dealer will certainly bring up the paintwork to you, and will ultimately offer you less $$$ for it.

If Honda will repaint the car to your satisfaction, I do believe that you are entitled to some compensation for the fact the car will now have aftermarket paintwork. $1000-$1500 seems like a reasonable loss on your part, and I'd try to get that. Doesn't hurt asking.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Here is a thread on how to post pix to forum:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...res-forum.html

Old 10-24-2011, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-24-2011, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
I'm no expert, but looks bad from what I can tell...

Old 10-25-2011, 02:10 AM
ya, its definitely hard to tell from the photos, but it doesnt look good. they seem like they would have been hard to miss if they were there on the lot. you sure you didnt piss off an ex girlfriend or something?

Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2fstfru
ya, its definitely hard to tell from the photos, but it doesnt look good. they seem like they would have been hard to miss if they were there on the lot. you sure you didnt piss off an ex girlfriend or something?
Like when did you first notice them? If they have been there since you bought the car like you are implying why did you wait to take it back?

Seems to me these have recently appeared and you can't own up to fact shit happens and you want Honda to repair it.

Do you really think Honda is going to fix it for free and give you money? I think you should demand they order another car like yours to replace it.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
r
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Like when did you first notice them? If they have been there since you bought the car like you are implying why did you wait to take it back?

Seems to me these have recently appeared and you can't own up to fact shit happens and you want Honda to repair it.

Do you really think Honda is going to fix it for free and give you money? I think you should demand they order another car like yours to replace it.
These are very visible in the sunlight---not so much otherwise. I noticed them less than 2 weeks after getting the car, when I was giving it a good wash. These are NOT scratches in the clearcoat (confirmed by the service manager)----so, shit DOES happen, but in this case, the shit's on Honda.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2fstfru
Nope, I haven't pissed off anyone! After six+ hours of 'buying' the car and finally taking it home at dusk, it's actually easy to miss scratches if the light isn't hitting them just right. Of course, now that I know where they are, I can find them pretty easily!

Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 AM
It sounds like the car wash scratched your car. I have a dark purple/black car and after I went to the car wash I had little scratches on it. Did you go to the car wash?

Quick Reply: Bad paint---what to do?