2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why no direct injection Honda engines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Why no direct injection Honda engines?

Ford, GM, Hyundai, Mazda, and others have numerous direct injection engines in their lineup. It is clear that the next level of performance, both in horsepower and fuel economy will come from these designs. Why has Honda not delivered such an engine? Why are there not even rumors of such work? Has Honda lost their mojo?

Old 10-22-2011, 10:01 PM
5 Year Member
Honda does have a direct injected engine. It is in the Acura RDX.

Honda will have a direct injected engine in the near future, it is the replacement for the K-series, however Honda will not release it before they are 100% sure that it is ready.

When it comes out, it will set the standard.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
The Honda dealer said that I will like this new technology when I leased my car because I said I might buy my car and he said just wait. So its about a year away unless there is a setback. Honda will do it right and hope the mpg and Hp is up.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:22 AM
When it comes out, it will set the standard
We will see....

BTW, the Acura web site does make mention of fuel direct injection, just direct ignition.

I found this link to old article in the subject:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...er-priorities/

Last edited by Bob0.007; 10-23-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bob0.007
We will see....

BTW, the Acura web site does make mention of fuel direct injection, just direct ignition.

I found this link to old article in the subject:

Honda On Direct Injection: Don’t Wait For It; We Have Other Priorities | The Truth About Cars
Here it is Honda’s i-VTEC I Engine: Direct Injection

Old 10-23-2011, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
The problem is the R1.8 is getting better mpg than the direct injection 2.0. Some of that technology is in the new Honda's motors.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Honda has no immediate plans for direct injected engines. There more interested in there very limited hybrid technology, which is behind Toyota.
This came straight from a meeting with a top exec for Acura/Honda of America. That's all I'm allowed to say. No BS.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Sadly, I don't think Honda has the resources to explore new technologies. The bright side is that their cars are basic and trouble free. My next door neighbor bought a new Accord EX and it's a great car, but it has less amenities than my '93 Taurus SHO had. Most Honda products are very basic these days.

Sharp contrast to the 1980 Prelude I had that was ahead of its time in almost all ways.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member
Direct injection sounds great but it seems it suffers from carbon buildup issues unless you engineer a complicated system to address the shortcoming (e.g. toyota/lexus D4-S).
diesel cars (e.g. bluetec).

So either you will need a complex engine to prevent the problem which means the consumer pays more up front. Or you have to raise maintenance costs to address these issues which means the consumer pays more on the back end.

Google "direct injection carbon" and then see if you really want it.

This guy also wrote a pretty good writeup in my opinion:
The Temple of VTEC - Honda and Acura Enthusiasts Online Forums > Honda Unveils Next-Generation Power Plant Technologies > > WHERE IS DIRECT INJECTION GAS ENGINE

Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
There are plenty of DI gas engines. The reason they haven't mainstreamed it as of yet is cost and complexity. You can get A GDI Turbo Hyundai, FFS, so lets not pretend it is too tough to implement.

OEMs stagger what they release to market so they can seem like they are innovating and charge a premium for it.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cornerstrike
Honda has no immediate plans for direct injected engines. There more interested in there very limited hybrid technology, which is behind Toyota.
This came straight from a meeting with a top exec for Acura/Honda of America. That's all I'm allowed to say. No BS.
This is going to sound harsh - but it needs to be said. Exactly all of Honda's issues are due to the extremely stupid and out of touch American execs they have... Honda hybrids can't compete period, and its not what the car buying public wants. The green crowd will go buy Prius and Volts instead.

IMO - every single American Honda exec ought to be fired, and fire every single US based designer that made Acura the ugly duckling of the luxury car world too. They have serious serious problems, and this team is simply driving the company into the ground!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
I agree...

I would add the that the proof is the sales figures of the Insight, Crosstour, CR-Z. Do we need to go on?

Last edited by Bob0.007; 10-24-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
What I find interesting is all these DI engines that came out are not even coming close to the real world gas mileage that they claim. I'm continually surprised on how UNDER rated the Fit is compared to how OVER rated the Fiesta, Elantra, Sonata etc etc are.

I also remember hearing about Nissan's new Versa and how they also skipped the DI tech to keep the car cheaper and simpler. They didn't think getting an extra 2 mpg on the highway cycle was worth adding complexity and cost to the car.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ShotgunSi
What I find interesting is all these DI engines that came out are not even coming close to the real world gas mileage that they claim. I'm continually surprised on how UNDER rated the Fit is compared to how OVER rated the Fiesta, Elantra, Sonata etc etc are.

You hit the nail on the head. I just don't understand how these cars are able to make such crazy fuel mileage claims. Most owners report substantially lower fuel economy than what these 40 mpg cars claim. Our Fit was rated at 27/34. I don't have any idea how you could get 27 mpg out of a Fit. The worst we have managed in 3 1/2 years of ownership was 32 and we are not light footed drives.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
If a DI engine gets *any* better mileage, isn't that enough to deliver one?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
No - not according to Honda - because they've bought this BS about mild hybrids being the thing of the future instead.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Not really, there are a lot of other factors, for example, the entire business side of things.

Car-making is more than just a contest of who can make the most fuel-efficient engine.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
You hit the nail on the head. I just don't understand how these cars are able to make such crazy fuel mileage claims. Most owners report substantially lower fuel economy than what these 40 mpg cars claim. Our Fit was rated at 27/34. I don't have any idea how you could get 27 mpg out of a Fit. The worst we have managed in 3 1/2 years of ownership was 32 and we are not light footed drives.
Knock retard adds more fuel to stop detonation. If these cars did run that lean 50/1 or so it would get at least 80 mpg. The injectors do vaporize the fuel better but that's because they were made for use with E85 ethanol.

All summer long I've been averaging over 40 mpg in a Civic, averaging 40 mph. I drive it 40 miles Interstate and 15 miles city with about 8 stop signs and 10 lights and Railroad crossing too. Every day I drive this.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
IS that 33.6 mpg?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
IS that 33.6 mpg?
That is close, I think its 35.28 put either way for a 2 liter run 65/1 should be averaging over 100 that lean. Also EGR is for unburnt fuel to be recycled to lean the incoming fuel air. Lean mixtures run hotter so engine damage could happen.

The injection system is similar to my truck which is why I said they are using Ethanol as a fuel because of the extra o2 leaning with the EGR. It would be close to that lean using the same volume as gasoline. I get better than that with a 1.8liter on premium.

E 15 comes out soon and in three years E85 will be the norm. That's what I read today.

Quick Reply: Why no direct injection Honda engines?