2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sad day!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Sad day!

Got drilled I'm the rear (no jokes please ) then pushed into the car in the front. Gratefully no one was hurt. Car is totaled. ACE structure and active head restraints work as advertised!

Name:  ff42a19b.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  110.9 KB

Name:  57d01d6f.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  e1cc7af5.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  106.1 KB

Thanks for keeping me safe!

Thanks also to the FF community for the advice and knowledge!

I'm looking at a VW GTI or maybe a Civic SI to replace te Fit

Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry for the accident. Looks like the car kept you safe Has it been inspected yet? It doesn't look totaled to me.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Sorry for the accident. Looks like the car kept you safe Has it been inspected yet? It doesn't look totaled to me.
Thanks! I'm also glad my kids were with the wife that day.
Inspected and 15k+ worth of damage to the car. Frame was bent as well.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 PM
Wow! Glad nobody was hurt, looks like the car did its job! Make sure you find out how much they'll sell it back to you for, because you can probably make some money parting it out!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dels
Very glad to hear the kids weren't with you. I love the idea of the 2.4 in the 2012 Civic Si. I haven't read a review yet, but it should make the car even more fun. We test drove a 2008 when we bought the Fit and really wanted the performance that it offered, but preferred the looks and practicality of the Fit.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dels
Hope to see you around town in your new ryde. Glad to hear that you and the family did not get injured...You were in Gods hands I guess.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I love the idea of the 2.4 in the 2012 Civic Si.
That's what replaced my GE8... the 2.4 Si is basically a baby TSX, minus all the unnecessary fluff and put on a diet.

No way I'd go look at a VW - electronic gremlins give me the creepies, and that brake-electro fake LSD on the GTI. Speed 3, WRX offer some of the hatchback versatility of the Fit.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
Really is sad to see a good car in that condition.Glad you are OK and the kids was not with you that day.Sorry about your car dels.Are you planning to buy another FIT maybe?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by neteng101
That's what replaced my GE8... the 2.4 Si is basically a baby TSX, minus all the unnecessary fluff and put on a diet.

No way I'd go look at a VW - electronic gremlins give me the creepies, and that brake-electro fake LSD on the GTI. Speed 3, WRX offer some of the hatchback versatility of the Fit.
I've owned a late model VW and won't again. After multiple fuel injector and window crank failures I was done. The Mazda also scares me a bit, but no experience.

Subaru's are great cars. A 2008 WRX was extremely close to winning our car search back when we bought the Fit. We went more practical instead, but sometimes regret not having double the power and AWD.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
I like the CIVIC SI too.....

Old 10-20-2011, 03:41 AM
Thanks again guys. I'm just glad that no one was hurt, and yes, I do think that someone was looking out for me and the family that day. My youngest was supposed to be with me but decided to jump in with mom at the last second.

Test drove both the SI and GTI, and it is a toss up right now. The GTI is MILES ahead of the SI in terms of the look and feel of the interior, however, Hondas have proven track record for reliability for decades while VW (up until a few years ago) have had it's share if problems throughout the lineup.

On paper, perfoance is a wash. The VW rides better, but the SI is a better driver IMO.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear that you are ok and that the family wasn't with you. That's the scariest thing (family in an accident). If we had to replace the FIT, we'd probably be looking at the Si as my wife periodically says she misses her old Civic and I do miss my GS-R (we should be getting a Prelude in a year or two though too ).

~SB

Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 AM
OMG! ...the important thing is you walked away!

The drivers around here, San Antonio, are the worst
of any place I have ever lived... makes me shiver n'
shake each time I take the Fit out.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Paul56
...The drivers around here, San Antonio, are the worst
Move to Chicago. You'll change your mind on the worst drivers...

Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mhadden
Move to Chicago. You'll change your mind on the worst drivers...
Move to California. You'll change your mind on the worsr drivers...

Old 10-20-2011, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Glad youre okay, brotha. Good luck with the new ride also!

I just got in an accident on Monday. Got my front left end hit pretty good when some kid tried making a last minute left turn...

Old 10-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by GGPJON
Move to California. You'll change your mind on the worsr drivers...
I bet they are a close second

Old 10-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Paul56
The drivers around here, San Antonio, are the worst
I really want to believe this, because anytime I see a Texas plate here in CA, or even when I lived in Vegas they're always driving like a complete moron.

"Oh Texas plates, that explains it." is a weekly line spoken between my wife and I.

To the OP, glad you came out ok and the car did it's job. Good luck with the new car search.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
All the best to you dels! Good to know the little warrior did its job and held its ground for 'ya!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM
sorry to see that, however I have a feeling you are gonna make out pretty darn well… I am assuming you have full coverage with a reasonable deductible. if so you should be getting retail market value plus tax and license….. and since you got rear ended then I imagine that their insurance and driving record will take the hit not yours…

Now about which car to get to replace the Fit. I would start driving cars now because you should have 1-4 weeks to get your check….

If you are going to lease the vehicle then I would consider the GTI if you are buying I would say the Si…. are you talking about new or used? whats your budget?

Oh and just curious what were the specifics of the accident… i.e. how fast approximately was the car that rear ended you going? were you at a stop? what about the car in front of you? Just curious, it sounds like these modern cars are REALLY built for safety, aI guess that ACE structure is code for, this vehicle has so many crumple zones to deflect the damage. Nice that it is a safe car, not so nice that it looks easy to total. I have seen more then a few salvage GE8, I'm assuming because of the ACE structure its easier to total it

Quick Reply: Sad day!