2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Hmm, Fit Sport 5MT, or '12 Civic EX-L? (Q's inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Hmm, Fit Sport 5MT, or '12 Civic EX-L? (Q's inside)

What's up guys... registered here along time ago, I've always been interested in a Fit since they started selling them here.

Anyway, I just recently got a job as a salesman at a Honda dealership. I get a nice employee discount so I know I'm gonna buy a new 2012 soon.. prob in January for my birthday haha.

I've daily driven my 2003 S2000 for 5 years now, and I've put about 90k miles on it (its got a 134k miles toal). Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car and I'll certainly miss it when its gone, but after living with it everyday and it's impracticality for so long, the car has lost alot of its novelty.

I need something quieter, with more space and comfort. And of course, better MPG (no more premium fuel either). So my choices are a '12 5speed Fit Sport, or a fully loaded '12 Civic EX-L (leather, heated seats, the cool new i-MID screen).

Unfortunately the EX-L only comes in automatic, which sucks, but in a Civic I could live with it. It's smooth at least.

Would the Civic with the automatic be faster or slower than the Fit with the manual?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by concorde
really?????
Lol. Be easy....

To the OP the civic would be quicker, more comfy, probably get better mpg's, but it will always lack the character...any reviews your read on the new civics really put it down and claim it's at the bottom of it's segment...the fit on the other hand is at the top of it's segment no matter what.

Good luck but seriously go fit you love it

Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 9k_RPM
And of course, better MPG (no more premium fuel either).
I guarantee you, in a few months, you'll regret either choice. The fuel savings you pay for in spades with the lack of thrills in either ride compared to the S2000.

Get a 2012 Si instead! Far more practical than the S2000, better MPG, so you should be better with fuel costs, and pay a bit extra from the smiles of the drive. I gave up my practical Fit Sport AT for the Si... and despite hitting tons of traffic on some commutes, its a way way way more enjoyable drive. The savings are miniscule really... a nice meal out a week would easily more than pay for the gas savings difference.

You 2nd best choice would be the Fit Sport MT. If you've lived with the S2000 that long, you really don't need to be coddled in leather semi fake luxury of a Civic EX-L.

Last edited by neteng101; 10-13-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by neteng101
I guarantee you, in a few months, you'll regret either choice. The fuel savings you pay for in spades with the lack of thrills in either ride compared to the S2000.

Get a 2012 Si instead! Far more practical than the S2000, better MPG, so you should be better with fuel costs, and pay a bit extra from the smiles of the drive. I gave up my practical Fit Sport AT for the Si... and despite hitting tons of traffic on some commutes, its a way way way more enjoyable drive. The savings are miniscule really... a nice meal out a week would easily more than pay for the gas savings difference.

You 2nd best choice would be the Fit Sport MT. If you've lived with the S2000 that long, you really don't need to be coddled in leather semi fake luxury of a Civic EX-L.

Big difference in price between the Civic EX-L and the Fit, something around $5000 msrp. The civic si would be around the same msrp as the civic ex-l but you wouldn't get leather and all the other stuff. Good luck getting an Si though because I looked and couldn't find many and when I could they added $2500 to the msrp. The savings in gas from the EX-L to the Fit would be nothing compared to the $5000 in cash you save.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:36 PM

Some very honest info there...I'm actually test driving a 2012 Si sedan this Saturday so I guess we'll see how it compare to my 2009...

Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 PM

Haha people give me this argument all the time. When I first got my S2k, I justified it the same way you did. But after 5 years, the novelty has worn off. Tired of having no passenger or cargo space, terrible mpg for a 4cyl (and premium fuel), extreme wind/road noise.

Plus driving an S2000 as your daily driver is kinda like having a giant Doberman in a tiny apartment... the car needs empty, winding roads to shine and stretch it's legs. Theres nowhere around me where I drive it that fast without getting immediately pulled over. I cant afford to go on "joy rides" like I used to in the car... I just commute in it everyday as if it were a civic. Around town, the drivetrain bucks, bogs, and jerks around... its exhausting to drive sometimes. Keep in mind, I have the more raw, hardcore AP1 model.

I've found I now enjoy driving a slow car fast more than trying to keep a fast car within the speed limit.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Honestly, the Si is just too similar to my old S2000. And I really want something that will get near 40 mpg, which the 1.8 Civic and Fit sport can do. Si wouldn't get much better than my S2k.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by adolan21
Big difference in price between the Civic EX-L and the Fit, something around $5000 msrp. The civic si would be around the same msrp as the civic ex-l but you wouldn't get leather and all the other stuff.
EL-X has leather, heated seats, heated side mirrors, automatic climate control. Seriously, leather seats don't last, get hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and tear up after some years... they're just a main pain if you ask me. The Eco button is a mixed bag, sometimes MPG is better without using Eco from reports I've seen from owners.

If one is going to pay $5000 more, the Si is a far better value than the EX-L. Engine/suspension/wheels/tires/6MT over leather and heat elements. No brainer there.

Good luck getting an Si though because I looked and couldn't find many and when I could they added $2500 to the msrp.
A short wait and finding some good dealers out there, you can get an Si at MSRP. Just maybe not your optimal choice of color though. Anyhow OP said he works for a Honda dealer so he'll get it below MSRP anyways.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 PM
He also said he didn't want an Si, I would honestly think is leather and all that really worth the extra $5000 over the Fit? I really enjoy my MT Fit I find it really enjoying to drive. I had a Subaru Legacy GT with a Stage 2 tune putting down over 150hp and torque over the Fit and to be honest I don't miss it whatsoever. The handling is good and I really like the 5 speed as it is very smooth.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by adolan21
He also said he didn't want an Si, I would honestly think is leather and all that really worth the extra $5000 over the Fit?
For leather, no way at all. But since he mentioned the EX-L, I thought I'd suggest the Si since money upfront doesn't seem to be a big issue. But since OP wants the MPG, go for the MT Fit instead.

Still, 40 MPG might be totally elusive for a Fit... 36 might be a more realistic average to expect, and once OP finds out how lousy the stock Fit tires are and decide to do something about them, another 2 MPG will go out the window. It will still be better than the Si anyday and doesn't require premium fuel.

The MPG game is all a novel fun idea but can get old easily - I did get tired of the 22-23 I was getting out of an Accord V6, bought a Fit, and got tired of the go slow aspect in a few months. The EX-L would be a big mistake, given the slushbox really sucks any fun out of small engines.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member

I completely disagree with your first comment as I came from a '03 Integra R to a '07 AP2 Snisen to the '10 Fit RS. The Fit is a VERY fun car to drive (you had an autotragic, so it just can't compare even with the gimmick paddles).

Sure the Fit doesn't have a lot of power and if you by chance suffer from LDS you might feel inadequate in the Fit compared to higher powered cars, but when you actually drive the piss out of the Fit, it will leave you with a smile on your face. Don't get me wrong though, I seriously miss the 5R and had I known I would of only been gone from Japan for 21 months, I never would of sold it for a HUGE loss. I knew coming back I was getting the Fit though, nothing else Honda offers is very pleasing to drive right now. The Euro CTR with exchange rate is close to $40k and it is a hefty pig at 1320kg (YUCK!!!) and also only comes with the watered down 200ps K20. That '12 Civic should have never received a Si badge with that stupid K that was put under the bonnet. It's not even a performance-minded powerplant, basically Honda of America stepped back into EP3 Si territory, putting a non-performance version of the K into what is supposed to be the top Civic. DISGUSTING!!!

OP, do what you feel is best for you, but if you want a car that is fun to drive, walk away from the Civic in your 2 car choice and straight to the Fit.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:08 AM
5 Year Member
OP,

What are your expectations for this new car? are you looking more towards comfort and quiet or more for sporty tossability?

If you are looking for fuel economy, the civic will win out. I get 38mpg on the FIT but could easily get higher than that if I had a civic. Much of that however is the drive that I have... (actually, had) as it was all country roads which is where economy in the fit really shows. The civc will also be quieter and more refined as the fit isn't really very quiet, especially at highway speeds.

If you are looking for hauling and cargo, no contest. the fit. I also like the fact that it is tossable in corners and a blast to drive. But that can be had in the civic with a few upgrades (such as adding the sway bars from an Si or better). You might be able to pick up some lightly used suspension parts at a decent price when the '12 Si is more readily available and people decide they want to swap out their suspension. Personally, I'd want a 5MT or 6MT in a vehicle the size of the Civic or FIT so that would play into my decision but you don't seem to mind either way.

Lastly, how long do you think you'll keep the vehicle?

~SB

Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
If you're looking for 40 mpg, you're not going to get that with the Fit.

#imjustsayin

Old 10-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
9K - i think you're going to get bored with the civic + AT expecially if it's the leather version and smooth riding. i mean if you want the luxury id recommend finding the previous model acura TSX or TL even.

that said, i'd go with the 5MT Fit, or find a MT CivicEX/Si sedan.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Hey I'm in the car biz too I have been selling Fords for the past year! It's a tough job, stressful but can be fun and good money.

I just bought a Fit sport MT. I got a Honda because my wife wanted one but I would Look into a 2012 Focus HB SE with the sport package. You can get it in a five speed. It has a 2.0 direct injection 4cyl rated @ 160HP with 37 mpg hwy. It sounds awesome way better then civic. I was close to getting a focus but wifes dad works for Honda so went that way and got a Fit sport

Check out the Focus it's come a LOOOOONG WAY. drives really nice.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Don't get a civic AT.

I went from a AP2 s2k to driving my wifes AT civic and hated it.

I like My Fit but would take a long look at the focus with sport package in MT

The focus now sounds awesome. Almost sounds vtec-ish lol

Old 10-15-2011, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Go with the Fit Sport MT, you aren't going to be dissapointed. Having driven a 2.4L turbo 4 with nearly 240 HP and 290 Torque, I can honestly say this is more fun. And the reviews don't lie

-Car and Driver have given it top honors in all three comparos it's been in
-C/D have given it Car and Driver's 10 best five years running, that's all five years its been on sale in the states
-Consumer reports has given it top resale value for at least two years, maybe more

Simply put I'm amazed they don't charge more for this thing, its friggin incredible. Nit-picky things aside, you can't buy a better car new for the money.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 9k_RPM
What's up guys... registered here along time ago, I've always been interested in a Fit since they started selling them here.

Anyway, I just recently got a job as a salesman at a Honda dealership. I get a nice employee discount so I know I'm gonna buy a new 2012 soon.. prob in January for my birthday haha.

I've daily driven my 2003 S2000 for 5 years now, and I've put about 90k miles on it (its got a 134k miles toal). Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic car and I'll certainly miss it when its gone, but after living with it everyday and it's impracticality for so long, the car has lost alot of its novelty.

I need something quieter, with more space and comfort. And of course, better MPG (no more premium fuel either). So my choices are a '12 5speed Fit Sport, or a fully loaded '12 Civic EX-L (leather, heated seats, the cool new i-MID screen).

Unfortunately the EX-L only comes in automatic, which sucks, but in a Civic I could live with it. It's smooth at least.

Would the Civic with the automatic be faster or slower than the Fit with the manual?
Can't comment on speed since my '09 is my first car and I have no frame of reference. But getting 40mpg is a stretch on a regular basis atleast it is for me. The road noise inside the cabin is pretty loud but it could be different with the '12 Fit Sport.

Regarding the seats, with money you save getting the Fit, you can outfit the interior with Clazzios and mod it to be heated-I think I've seen that in a thread here somewhere.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 PM
You sell for a Honda dealership and are coming here to find out if a Fit faster than a Civic?

Old 10-21-2011, 12:27 AM
5speed fit is the way to go! 2012 civics are boring to drive espicially automatic
fit has more peppy-ness to it and you can toss it around. also super awesome U-turner.
a slammed fit sport > boring civic EX-L

Quick Reply: Hmm, Fit Sport 5MT, or '12 Civic EX-L? (Q's inside)