2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

No drill license relocation for G8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:21 AM
No drill license relocation for G8?

I need to put my front plate on, but would like to have it off to the side, possibly lower. However, I don't want to drill any holes if possible.

I would be fine with the h-fit kit that uses the tow hook spot, but it's only for the GD3. If anyone knows of a similar type of setup for the G8 lemme know.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:30 AM
i bought my GE8 brand new back in April and this was the first thing i wanted to do...i had the dealer leave the bracket off so i could place it over on the side. unfortunately there is no solution for the GE8 that will work without drilling so i left it off completely

i live in new york and have had no issues what so ever...looks better too IMO.

i guess in theory you use the password JDM relocation kit V2 with 3M double sided automotive tape but idk if id trust that...to much wind resistance id think.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by nickemangione
i bought my GE8 brand new back in April and this was the first thing i wanted to do...i had the dealer leave the bracket off so i could place it over on the side. unfortunately there is no solution for the GE8 that will work without drilling so i left it off completely

i live in new york and have had no issues what so ever...looks better too IMO.

i guess in theory you use the password JDM relocation kit V2 with 3M double sided automotive tape but idk if id trust that...to much wind resistance id think.
Yeah, I was afraid there wasn't a no-drill solution. I'm not sure how long I'll own the fit, so I'd prefer to keep any upgrades/mods easily reversible.

I left mine off in Illinois and never was cited. One week in Boulder, CO and I've already gotten a warning.

I emailed h-fit, but didn't get a response. I'm wondering if I can mod the GD3 kit to get it to work.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:47 PM
i emailed H-fit back when i was looking and nope it wont work...

Old 10-12-2011, 01:00 PM
I zipped tied mine with the OEM bracket on to the lower grill to the right after i noticed the imprint it left on my bumper. So far its been tight but will have to think of something else if we get another blizzard this winter.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:01 AM
or you can do what i did. i slid the license plate mount over and drilled a new hole at the bottom of the bumper. idk if it makes sense. like... if you're looking at the mount from the front of the car, i moved the left screw to the right screw threads and drilled a new hole for the right screw (on the mount) into the bumper. SORRY, I KNOW I SUCK AT EXPLAINING THINGS. i'll try take a picture if i remember tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
^ exactly what i did.
flip the bracket upside down and put the left hole of the license plate bracket to the right hole on the bumper, then drill one new hole.
alright that sounds kinda confusing but just look under your bumper and itll make sense.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I live in CA where front plate is required and mounting bracket must by law be installed for dealer sale so the first thing I did was remove the mount and was bummed with the hole in the bumper! A few months ago I got rear-ended and pushed into the next car so the front bumper cover had to be replaced among other things. I had the body shop not drill a hole in the new bumper cover

I keep my plate between the e-brake console and passenger seat with electrical tape around the sharp stamped edge of the plate. I toss it into the front window whenever there is a cop behind me (limo tint helps), or after one has passed traveling the opposite direction.

In CA its legal to have your plate in the front window as long as its visible - if I toss it right it wedges between the dash and window and lays flat against the window. Truthfully its not terribly visible in the front window but at least I think I could get out of a ticket with that as long as I wasnt already speeding

Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by TheDilweed
or you can do what i did. i slid the license plate mount over and drilled a new hole at the bottom of the bumper. idk if it makes sense. like... if you're looking at the mount from the front of the car, i moved the left screw to the right screw threads and drilled a new hole for the right screw (on the mount) into the bumper. SORRY, I KNOW I SUCK AT EXPLAINING THINGS. i'll try take a picture if i remember tomorrow.
yep. that's what i did. pretty easy. i had the bumper off for a few mods anyway.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 12toothassassin
In CA its legal to have your plate in the front window as long as its visible - if I toss it right it wedges between the dash and window and lays flat against the window. Truthfully its not terribly visible in the front window but at least I think I could get out of a ticket with that as long as I wasnt already speeding
No it isn't. The front plate has to be mounted on the bumper, and if the cop really wants to get technical with it it has to be mounted in the center.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Zip tie stock mount too grille gets my vote as well

Old 10-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Flipped the stock bracket 180 deg. Longer shoulder bolts with a big washer. Much better.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by FittedOnEm
No it isn't. The front plate has to be mounted on the bumper, and if the cop really wants to get technical with it it has to be mounted in the center.
Then maybe its only for classic cars? I know there is an allowance for front window plate but maybe it is only for cars that did not sell with a factory front mount.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:27 AM
I've been crazy busy adjusting to my new location and job, so I ended up just doing a quickie relocate and shifted it to the side using one of the original holes and putting a new hole on the underside of the bumper. It'll do for now and keep me legal.

I don't love it, so I may try the 180 degree turn or zip tie ideas. Thanks guys.

On another note, we're expecting 6-12" of snow overnight, so I get to see how the fit handles snow. Glad I've got conti dws's instead of the stock Dunlop's at least.

Here's a crappy cell pic of the front plate.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 AM

Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
totally legal for the license plate to be in the front window off to the side as long as its not higher than 60" off the ground and the numbers and letters are not obstructed~Th.is information is from the CA CHP website.... I've got mine in my windshield and have been pulled over and not gotten any hassle.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Hobbaswaggle
totally legal for the license plate to be in the front window off to the side as long as its not higher than 60" off the ground and the numbers and letters are not obstructed~Th.is information is from the CA CHP website.... I've got mine in my windshield and have been pulled over and not gotten any hassle.
that would be true except it violates CVC section 26708 regarding the obstruction of the windshield. (sorry, i did some work @ traffic court) that's the same section that covers the legality of GPS mounts only in the lower 7-inches of the passenger's side or the lower 5-inches of the driver's side. now, if you're plate can fit in that square, you're all good.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
Flipped the stock bracket 180 deg. Longer shoulder bolts with a big washer. Much better.
Thank you! Geesh!!!

Everyone drilling holes in their bumper, and other irreversible crap! Not me either.

Like you said... flip bracket upside down, install longer bolts and a large washer... TA-DAAAAAHH! ---> A lower plate position that even aids in guarding that huge opening in front of the condenser.

Those who haven't done the "lower grille/condenser-protect mod"... your condenser will love you for lowering your plate in front of it.

Looks great, and even serves a purpose.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Have something for you guys coming soon..

Pics are up! Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by j1nNju1c3; 10-30-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
nice! i've been looking into something like that! i have seen the videos on youtube for mainly subies and porsches! lets get this made in a group buy!

Quick Reply: No drill license relocation for G8?