2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sooooo, anyone see the latest Car and Driver review?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Sooooo, anyone see the latest Car and Driver review?

Out of five or six compacts, we're still number one. Sweet. I thumbed through a new issue on break today, didn't pay enough attention to the rest of it.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah... It's good to know, even though they used the 11 model. The yaris is looking nice now and is tip to tip with the fit, just slightly behind it. Oh, and it has rear disc brakes so it does get shorter stopping distance.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by john21031
The yaris is looking nice now and is tip to tip with the fit, just slightly behind it.
Yaris has always been a nice car except for cargo capacity. That was a major requirement for me so the Yaris ended up way way behind the Fit and most other sub compacts I considered.

_

Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Yaris has always been a nice car except for cargo capacity.
*yawn* Yaris is about as interesting as a loaf of white bread. And pathetic that Toyota made absolutely zero engine improvements in the new model... they stuck in the tired old mill. At least they got rid of that silly center gauges and got them back to where they belong.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by neteng101
*yawn* Yaris is about as interesting as a loaf of white bread. And pathetic that Toyota made absolutely zero engine improvements in the new model... they stuck in the tired old mill. At least they got rid of that silly center gauges and got them back to where they belong.
Same things that people say about the Fit, don't be a hater.

Yaris exterior looks equally "interesting" as the Fit, gets better mpg while costing a couple thousand less. What's not to like except for pathetic cargo capacity?

_

Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Why didn't they include the Ford Fiesta?

Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Never mind. Found my answer as to why they didn't.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverbulletCSVT
Yaris exterior looks equally "interesting" as the Fit, gets better mpg while costing a couple thousand less. What's not to like except for pathetic cargo capacity?
Umm - you need to make apples to apples comparison. 5-door Yaris isn't a bargain compared to a Fit... only cheaper if you're going for a 3-door. Toyota is one of the most uninspiring automakers on the planet - save for some of their extreme rare pieces of engineering like the LFA and IS-F. They delivery uninspiring if somewhat solid cars... ie. boring, as I said.

And Honda is slowly following Toyota too, sadly. It may take a few years yet, but Hyundai is on definitely on track to eat both their lunches.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Hyundai is on definitely on track to eat both their lunches.
I'm not sure about eat Honda's lunch but I agree they will with most other manufacturer's.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Its awsome to see our cars on top. Especially against the new kid on the block (chevy sonic). That instrument gauge and steering wheel on the sonic is rediculous. But its going to be intresting to see what tuners do with that turbo...

Old 10-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Red 05
Out of five or six compacts, we're still number one. Sweet. I thumbed through a new issue on break today, didn't pay enough attention to the rest of it.
Yep, checked that out at Walmart last week.

The Fit report was glowing, but the Insight report in the same
issue was not quite so.

6-months into ownership and I still like & enjoy my Fit.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:25 AM
And Honda is slowly following Toyota too, sadly. It may take a few years yet, but Hyundai is on definitely on track to eat both their lunches.
This is a fact. When I look at the Honda/Acura line now, nothing really jumps out to me and makes me think "I gotta have it". I wish Honda would come out with another iteration of the S2000...

With that said, all of the Japanese auto manufacturers seems to be going the route of GM/Chrysler/Ford a decade ago. They are relying on their customer bases and not releasing new technology or "excitement" in their lineups. Now the domestic 3 are turning their ships around and offering close (and in some cases, better) offerings than that of the Japanese and are within a reasonable price range with them to boot!

With that said, though, my wife and I still enjoy and love our Honda's. But if they don't keep up, we will likely jump ship when it comes time to trade in/up.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Something else caught my eye while reading the review: The MT now gets to 60 half a second faster than the '09s? Testing fluke I bet, but that's still bragging rights.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Here's the link for those who don't feel like googling

2012 Chevy Sonic LTZ Turbo vs. 2011 Honda Fit Sport, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, 2012 Kia Rio5 SX, 2012 Nissan Versa SL, 2012 Toyota Yaris SE - Comparison Tests

While shopping for my 2012 fit, my second choice was the Chevy Sonic. I picked the Fit over the Sonic mainly due to reliability and resale value. The Sonic seemed more compelling as far as features and performance go but given that its a first-gen car, I chose to go with the tried and tested. Also, Chevy's normally take a big hit in resale value after the first few years compared to Hondas. I'm glad to see that my decision was echoed by the pros!

Last edited by dr. zoidberg; 10-03-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Just imagine what a Fit with an L15 turbo and 6MT would do to the competition. A "tuned" Fit should be doable with a $1.5k or so increase to MSRP. And the manual Fit isn't as costly as the auto anyways, so the increase for a Fit Si kind of model isn't that hard to swallow/sell.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
If honda did that I would sell all my nonvital organs, move out of my house, give up sex for a year and buy one. I love my Fit, but the only thing its lacking is just a little more ooomph. Hell, even if all they did was swap the engine from the Civic to the Fit it would be a hotrod.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
If honda did that I would sell all my nonvital organs, move out of my house, give up sex for a year and buy one.
Proof plenty of how easily Honda could sell such a car!

Bet you wouldn't give up football though? - RTR!

Old 10-03-2011, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I'm not sure about eat Honda's lunch but I agree they will with most other manufacturer's.
Actually, in almost every segment, Hyundai actually beats Honda with every vehicle when it comes to standard features, HP and MPG, and all this at lower price points. Even reliability is something Hyundai has increased dramatically in recent years, not just in looks.

And Hyundai is not just beating Honda in certain areas, it's also doing it to Acura as well, which until recently I was a salesman for. Maybe you guys don't know this, but almost every month this year the Genesis Sedan has outsold the TL, even with the refresh, which is way better than the 11 model. The Equus embarrasses the RL and the Genesis Coupe doesn't even have a competitor from either brand.

Sure, Honda still sells more vehicles a year. But that lead is shrinking by the hour. And if you compare each Hyundai with a Honda/Acura in it's class, you will easily find that the KDM company is giving customers better numbers than the JDM one.

I love Honda. Love the way their engines rev and gulp air in their intakes and how smooth their transmissions are, something only Porsche has been said to equal with much more money. But even still, numbers are numbers and the world is not full of car enthusiasts. With the Veloster outperforming the CRZ in everyway(space, power, mpg, standard features, price) and without even being a hybrid, I've just about giving up on the company. Putting a K24 in the Si was just about the nail in the coffin. It's inexcuseable that no current Honda/Acura vehicle has an 8k redline. Just unbelievable.

I'll just enjoy the last fun Honda to be made(the Fit) and wait patiently for a couple of more years when Amercans will see Hyundai as one of the sales leaders in America.

P.S. By the way. Hyundai is already the number 1 selling Asian brand in Europe.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Sigh. Honda is good at making one-(sometimes two-)hit wonders. :/ NSX, S2000, Element...

Last edited by albeee; 10-04-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Honda has been making hits since the 80s with both civic and accord. The Fit furthered the hit parade.

But unless they learn some new tunes they're going the way of the pet shop boys.

in 2009 I didn't consider looking at Hyundai. Today I would at least drive one before deciding.

Quick Reply: Sooooo, anyone see the latest Car and Driver review?